NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Rob I know your happy with the trees and they do look splendid but can I recommend looking at Physicsman thread Gill Head. He has produced some really good specimens.

Hi Winnie, 

Yes, I'm aware of his trees. They are excellent but these trees provide a good balance re quality V time...........something I am rapidly running out of. 

With the arrival of these, I can get on with the rest. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

You have the approval of The Wriggly Tin Appreciation Society there.

I've bought a couple of Larch trees via Primo Models ( www.primomodels.co.uk ) again, not bargain basement, but the quality is good and I have plenty of other jobs to occupy my modelling time.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

I can make no claim regarding these trees. I have been meaning to look into them for a while. 

They are from here.....

https://mbrmodel.eu/en/about-us/

Not cheap but the quality is worth it. 

They were first recommended some time ago by John Farmer ( Re 6/6) of the parish. 

More recently an exchange of messages with NickC who is also using them  convinced me to try them. Nick's advice was spot on. 

I ordered them on 9th Feb and they have arrived today. 

P&P was very reasonable and I've not been stung for anything extra by HMRC. 

Very straightforward to order and paid by bank transfer which again was quite straight forward. 

I shall certainly be returning to them. 

Recommended. 

Rob.  

Glad to be of assistance! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

I can make no claim regarding these trees. I have been meaning to look into them for a while. 

They are from here.....

https://mbrmodel.eu/en/about-us/

Not cheap but the quality is worth it. 

They were first recommended some time ago by John Farmer ( Re 6/6) of the parish. 

More recently an exchange of messages with NickC who is also using them  convinced me to try them. Nick's advice was spot on. 

I ordered them on 9th Feb and they have arrived today. 

P&P was very reasonable and I've not been stung for anything extra by HMRC. 

Very straightforward to order and paid by bank transfer which again was quite straight forward. 

I shall certainly be returning to them. 

Recommended. 

Rob.  

Thanks Rob these look amazing.

I did go into the shop part and was thinking I need to learn some German

Having browsed through these for about 20 minutes I just noticed the British flag at the bottom.

Doh

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NeilHB said:

Superb work Rob, project X is utterly delightful. 

Thanks Neil for those very kind words. It's been a bit of a full on day but I am pleased with what's been done. The Memsahib left me pretty much alone to get on with adding the grass and it now needs to dry off properly. 

Now that the basics are done, I can get on with adding grass to the track bed etc then turning to the river bank and water. 

Before this though, I fancy a change and I'll turn to buildings and locos next. 

Rob. 

• Like 7

Looking very good already Rob.

It's amazing what a difference those trees make to the scene.

I know you pursue the less is more philosophy but it really goes to show just how much better the setting is with them added.

Excellent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for your kind words. 

I am pleased with how it looks. Still much to do but we are getting there, methinks. 

Rob. 

• Like 7

On 02/03/2022 at 11:50, NHY 581 said:

Morning Winny. 

I'm sorry, I meant to reply earlier. 

The ash I used to provide the yard surface Is a mixture of charcoal barbarcue ash with a few other different kinds of ash chucked in, possibly bonfire ash ? 

I've had it for a while, sorry. It's done five layouts now.....
The ash is dusted over a layer of normal PVA using a plastic tea strainer. 

You have to work quite quickly to avoid the PVA starting to dry out. To extend the drying time, I sprayed the PVA with water with few drops of washng up liquid in it, using a fine spray.

The ash is then added by being  forced/ground through the mesh using the back of a plastic tea spoon.

For the spray, I dismantled an old aftershave bottle  and used this as I wanted a fine spray, important for the next step. 

The spray is then used to wet the ash. Important to add here that I spray at a distance to avoid disturbing the ash, hence the fine spray. 

Dilute PVA is then dropped onto the wet ash using a syringe as you would when glueing down the ballast. In fact I used exactly the same mix.

It's important to avoid dropping the diluted PVA on from height as this could cause circular depressions or 'cratering' so the glue is added from quite close to the surface. 

It's then left to dry out for as long as it takes, generally overnight. 

Once dry, I rubbed the surface to remove any particularly rough bits and then hoovered up any loose stuff. 

Job done. 

I hope this helps.

Rob.

This is going to be very helpful, I have some track to ballast with a combination of ash and dirt to replicate what the full size did in a yard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, NickBrad said:

This is going to be very helpful, I have some track to ballast with a combination of ash and dirt to replicate what the full size did in a yard.

Glad to be of service, Nick. As ever though perhaps do a test piece to have a try out with. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been peering at a phone for previous images, but seeing the last lot on a bigger screen it's very obvious this is going to be another masterpiece. Saying "it's coming on" is an understatement. Lovely work!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks Jay.

Development is on going....  

20220307_183003-02.jpeg.d0ada3b224a86b6ce381fa2c36ce9de7.jpeg

It will look a bit better when I've weathered the shed. 

Rob. 

Yep - that roof should be in a right state directly under a tree!

Jay

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Definitely like that 'new' back drop for that third photo Rob.

Just like an approaching storm sweeping in from the North Sea. Few flashes of lighting would really finish it of.

Any chance?:P

Looks really good Rob. Coming along nicely.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 1