NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris, 

Now, whilst both Clarks and Rees' are known pie establishments in Cardiff ( and seemingly  wider given Von Wolf's knowledge) , a five minute walk from Chateau Sheep  is a butchers that also make their own pies and pasties.  Their breakfast rolls, pork and stuffing rolls, turkey, cranberry and stuffing rolls, steak and gravy rolls are also very splendid things. 

Of the pies, the steak and stilton is recommended as are the large beef and veg pasties. 

They also do very fine in house faggots to take away with peas, roast potatos and gravy. 

Closer to home, the Memsahib has recently perfected her take on a Greggs chicken bake, which aside from being bigger are indistinguishable from the real thing. 

I could do with a walk......

keep-calm-and-say-get-thee-behind-me-sat

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris, 

Now, whilst both Clarks and Rees' are known pie establishments in Cardiff ( and seemingly  wider given Von Wolf's knowledge) , a five minute walk from Chateau Sheep  is a butchers that also make their own pies and pasties.  Their breakfast rolls, pork and stuffing rolls, turkey, cranberry and stuffing rolls, steak and gravy rolls are also very splendid things. 

Of the pies, the steak and stilton is recommended as are the large beef and veg pasties. 

They also do very fine in house faggots to take away with peas, roast potatos and gravy. 

Closer to home, the Memsahib has recently perfected her take on a Greggs chicken bake, which aside from being bigger are indistinguishable from the real thing. 

But what about kidneys?

It's almost impossible to get a Kate and Sidney pie in these parts - one of the few things I truly miss about the Old Country (a pint of warm, hoppy bitter is another...).

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2022 at 09:05, Nick C said:

Mmm, pie! Both our local butcher, and the nearby farm shop with very good pies, are struggling to get Lamb at the moment, prices have gone crazy. Which means my favourite lamb and mint pie is unobtainable...

Really.............

sheep-967169-01.jpeg.002eaff7b356acbed81cdd7ad44e4272.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

keep-calm-and-say-get-thee-behind-me-sat

I often found that Satan has gotten behind me, then given me a shove...

Other times, it's just Miss R, sat on the pillion seat, digging me in the ribs to go faster....

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris, 

I just finished my (very leisurely) breakfast, and having read this I feel hungry again...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I just finished my (very leisurely) breakfast, and having read this I feel hungry again...

I've just managed to come home from a quick trip to the local station for a loco photo with some "Iceland" Greggs pastry items for lunch...weak or what?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 03/04/2021 at 22:02, NHY 581 said:

Thanks Rob.....

The poor quality of the image means that the 'tree' lacks a degree of sharpness. 

It's a section of root from a pine tree. Dried in the sun today and earth roughly brushed off. I shall dry it properly and see how it and the other bits turn out. 

Rob. 

This, Sir is ingenious. I've read so many times about taking stuff from the garden and utilising as trees, but I'd never considered roots before. Your tree looks great, I would have also thought it was made from wire armature if you hadn't said.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I've just managed to come home from a quick trip to the local station for a loco photo with some "Iceland" Greggs pastry items for lunch...weak or what?

Well played. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, NickBrad said:

This, Sir is ingenious. I've read so many times about taking stuff from the garden and utilising as trees, but I'd never considered roots before. Your tree looks great, I would have also thought it was made from wire armature if you hadn't said.

Afternoon Nick. 

Thank you. It was simply one of those "that'll come in useful moments". 

The Memsahib, having one of her all to often 'Poirotesque moments' immediately smelt a rat as I paused whilst digging them up...........

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Ah! Rees' steak pies from Cowbridge Road, Canton. 

I well remember an early morning visit to the premises on a day when Arsenal were in the F.A cup, 2005 maybe? Sure they played Man Utd. 

Equally appealing. 

That said, Clarks do well with a portion of chips ( heavy on the vinegar) as Clarks innards, being of a finer mince adhere well to dipped chips............

You can then attack the pastry.......

Remember that day well, albeit I was behind a cushion on my sofa as it went to penalties after being battered for 120 minutes and I couldn’t bare to look. Cue bedlam when Patrick Vieira stepped up and put the deciding penalty away. Happy days! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

A bit of paint has been applied to Ewe. 

Red oxide primer to boards and trackwork. 

20220115_205720-02.jpeg.07f06d5ca53d04b7a2e95dd2160bb207.jpeg

A bit of grey primer to indicate the hard standing and brown to suggest areas of undergrowth, grass etc. 

Not finished yet though. 

Rob. 

Tri-ang Big Big Train track!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Although the above photo is pretty rubbish, it perhaps illustrates how applying a bit of colour gives the plot a bit of life. 

Hopefully today I can do a little more. The colours are nothing more than an indication where things will go. Fine ash for the yard surface and a base layer of static grass. 

Before these are added though, it will be all about the trackwork. Painting and weathering this should see me occupied for a week or so at least...( probably two if Sheep Dip is anything to go by )

Updates to follow. 

Rob. 

• Like 12

Hi Rob,

Nice progress on Ewe there, I must say you don't hang about. I really must get my finger out and crack on with stuff. At the moment I'm refurbishing Trevanna Dries, then there's the MK2 version of Dragon Steels to do and after that the Bristol'ish based shunting layout.

I'll update the Trevanna thread when I've finished as I'm trying a new approach, rather than posting half finished projects that I don't touch for some time.

Cheers,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1