NHY 581

31 minutes ago, Donw said:

To fit alignment dowels I use  some ply the same thickness as the faceplate of the dowels. Cut two pieces to match the ends of the layout. Mark one face of each and clamp them mark to mark then drill out for faceplates. Fix the ply onto the ends with the marks facing out. making sure the top edge matches the baseboard. You can then screw the face places in place either with the dowels projecting on the same end or one on each. drill though the holes in the other faceplace for extra clearance.

You should now have two boards that will align perfectly. With no fancy measuring.

Don

That’s cunning and removes the need to countersink the faceplates of the dowels, which is where, for some reason, I always seem to mess up. Last time, I initially got the boards to align perfectly, but then somehow ended up with one dowel being slightly off perpendicular to the baseboard end - only less than 1mm, but it was enough for the ends to not fit together!

I’ll give your method a go next time - I’ll just have to remember to leave the thickness of the faceplate ply off the length of the sides!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

.... But I'm thinking of breaking with S.S.O.P in  Blackwater Pier's case and should it ever be exhibited, it will be on a table without the usual roof/ ends etc. Suitably lit of course but with a lower, separate backscene. A bit of a departure but I think if it ever comes to it, I'm sure it will probably work.  

This is after all just a tester. 

Rob. 

There were a couple of pertinent threads on WT here and here on the topic of presentation. I think they were before your time on there but worth a read I think.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Adrian.........

Top stuff. 

R

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

To add........I've not seen that layout. It's fab. 

• Agree 5

Very nice Rob, the shots looking up from the water level give a sense of size that you don’t get looking side on at a model. 

what make are the platforms?

Will

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

A bit more erosion has taken place ! 

1000005425.jpg.d163c0857a64f7b27baeb37ca7682b8d.jpg

Wet stuff now either side. 

And a few images taken to give an indication of the views of the finished article......I think it might well do.....

1000005422.jpg.b09d9fcd52072a15883a8b773da8a71c.jpg

1000005421.jpg.ef55d7bd00bd0d28eb314a7c02604dca.jpg

1000005427.jpg.436d8635d02ca1bbb9b7d696ff20f9eb.jpg

1000005428.jpg.d030804f35a5dddfd6661a28a6446af3.jpg

Rob.

How about joining both water ateas up, with a spindly bridge over?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

How about joining both water ateas up, with a spindly bridge over?

Hi Tim.  

This was mentioned over on WT. I understand the appeal but no, it's not something I'm looking to do. 

Rob

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, adrianmc said:

Regarding a different approach to presentation, with viewing on three sides, below is a picture of Andy Jones' Tarring Neville under construction.

Has a similar "dropped" baseboard edge on two sides.

taring_neville_demonstration_uckfield_2016.jpg.1465ff2caf80527693852a5305d613fa.jpg

Pictures of the complete layout can be seen at: http://www.uckfieldmrc.co.uk/exhib17/tarringneville.html

Ohhh now that has got the creative juices running! What an excellent concept.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This has the makings of being an absolutely lovely little layout Rob (perhaps a tad too much alliteration there?)  And good to see you enjoying it again!

That pic of the alignment dowels reminded me of a Madonna album cover, btw...

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Willl said:

Very nice Rob, the shots looking up from the water level give a sense of size that you don’t get looking side on at a model. 

what make are the platforms?

Will

Morning Will, 

They are the platform sections from a Wills halt kit, well, three kits actually......a bit extravagant, but in my defence,  they were cheap. I'm going to tweak the legs and change the fencing on the back, add lamps. 

You know the drill......

Rob

• Like 8

This is all looking very interesting, as I'm already trying to visualise the end result.

Around here there's a couple of now disused lines that are obviously on built up land. 

There's not so much water right up to the formation, but the ground is obviously lower either side with reed beds or flood plains immediately beyond the railway fence.

Some parts are constantly full of water, others only after a storm.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Looking forward to seeing you and Lambsdown tomorrow. I'm coming down with the Minehead Massive 😎

Hi George. 

I'm not exhibiting at Railwells this year. I withdrew back in June. 

Rob.

• Friendly/supportive 5

Definitely a good thing. I've been making a point of lifting the covers on my layout each day for the same reason.

Although a bridge is a nice feature, even a small one can munch up a lot of baseboard unless it's very lightly engineered. 

Plus you can never really guarantee that it will still be there in the morning, no matter how many positive thoughts you have...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2