Indeed, wiser words never uttered.

All Hail the Supreme Pannier!

I believe there's an ointment for that.

Does it still hurt when you cough.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This axle splitting issue is rather reminiscent of the gear cracking issue that seems so endemic with models fitted with nylon gears, particularly in N or HO. It generally caused by the axle or gear being force fitted to an axle or stub that is slightly too big for the hole in the axle....

One solution to stop this happening, possibly, is to slightly open out the end of the axles, and then glue the wheels back on. I know generally with the gear issue, it's been preferable to replace with brass gears, but not a solution here for the axle problem.....

It's got me thinking now whether this could affect any other Dapol models (eg. the Class 73?). Must take a look.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

This axle splitting issue is rather reminiscent of the gear cracking issue that seems so endemic with models fitted with nylon gears, particularly in N or HO. It generally caused by the axle or gear being force fitted to an axle or stub that is slightly too big for the hole in the axle....

One solution to stop this happening, possibly, is to slightly open out the end of the axles, and then glue the wheels back on. I know generally with the gear issue, it's been preferable to replace with brass gears, but not a solution here for the axle problem.....

It's got me thinking now whether this could affect any other Dapol models (eg. the Class 73?). Must take a look.

Hi Chris, 

Pretty certain this plastic axle arrangement is unique, in terms of Dapol,  to the Sentinels due to the pick up arrangements. 

The class 73 etc have conventional axles/gears. 

Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Chris, 

Pretty certain this plastic axle arrangement is unique, in terms of Dapol,  to the Sentinels due to the pick up arrangements. 

Rob

Thanks Rob, just taken a look during my lunch break, and you're right. Conventional axles/gears... just the daft axle bearing pickups, which I must do something about at some point.

It sounds like the old Mainline and early Bachmann problem of the wheels being an interference fit in the plastic, which is fine when new, but the grade of plastic isn't brilliant, shrinking and becoming brittle after a few years, hence the splitting.

Fixable, but can put the F into Frustrating.

• Agree 5

43 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Panic. . . 

14 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Panic ye not. 

4 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Thanks Rob, just taken a look during my lunch break, and you're right.

Panic ye not confirmed. Thanks chaps.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Good afternoon folks,

With apologies to Mr Sheepbloke Rob for clogging up his thread but somebody did mention Panniers and the Supreme Pannier has been invoked :)

Panniers on parade below:

2 x Hornby 8750ish, detailed by me some 20 years ago, BBP (before Bachmann purchased)

2 x Bachmann 8750s, renumbered (9653 & 9654) and lamped, awaiting crew and weathering.

1 x each of Bachmann 64xx and 94xx. The 94xx will be renumbered as 8432 (OXF) to match with 9653 and 9654 (both OXF locos). 

1 x Rapido 15xx, to be weathered and crewed.

1 x Wills 94xx and 1 x Nu-Cast 54/64/74xx awaiting the 'round tuit'.

I have a chassis donor for the 94xx but it needs a new leading wheelset. The 54xx has an etched brass chassis but this seems flimsy to me.

I also have an Accurascale 7714 on order and an still toying with the idea of MR/Rapido 16xx, if I can overcome the bunker chasm (can't unsee it now).

By way of contrition I do have other small & cute/less 'ugly' tank locos (see Rapido 15xx thread), such as SECR 327 (P) and 751 (Terrier) and 30096 (B4). Mind you, my 30064 (USA tank) gives 1509 a run for its money in the 'less glamorous' stakes.

All run well (luckily) but only around my test track currently.

Edit: Thanks to Captain Kernow for the 54xx chassis info.

Cheers, Nigel.

IMG_2450.jpg

Edited by GMKAT7
Missing info (doh!)
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon folks,

With apologies to Mr Sheepbloke Rob for clogging up his thread but somebody did mention Panniers and the Supreme Pannier has been invoked :)

2 x Hornby 8750ish, detailed by me some 20 years ago, BBP (before Bachmann purchased)

2 x Bachmann 8750s, renumbered (965 & 9654) and lamped, awaiting crew and weathering.

1 x each of Bachmann 64xx and 94xx. The 94xx will be renumbered as 8432 (OXF) to match with 9653 and 9654 (both OXF locos). 

I have a chassis donor for the 94xx but it needs a new leading wheelset. The 54xx has an etched brass chassis but this seems flimsy to me.

I also have an Accurascale 7714 on order and an still toying with the idea of MR/Rapido 16xx, if I can overcome the bunker chasm (can't unsee it now).

By way of contrition I do have other small & cute/less 'ugly' tank locos (see Rapido 15xx thread), such as SECR 327 (P) and 751 (Terrier) and 30096 (B4). Mind you,  my 30064 (USA tank) gives 1509 a run for its money in the 'less glamorous' stakes.

Cheers, Nigel.

IMG_2450.jpg

What a splendid sight!

The Supreme Pannier most definitely approves!

Re your 54XX, if it's the old etched chassis I'm thinking about, then I would agree, but there is the option of the High Level chassis (covers 54XX/64XX and 74XX), which is very good.

Alternatively, if you can live with the slightly smaller wheels, the Bachmann 64XX chassis might serve - https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/category/2-branchline-steam-parts/64xx-pannier-tank/chassis (or you might find someone who is happy to dispose of a chassis).

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can see that I need to go home and dig out the pannier collection. Not sure how many I have.

The ideal number of course being the number you have already, plus one.*

*From the Wolf-Spiers theorem of vintage motorcycles.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon folks,

2 x Bachmann 8750s, renumbered (9653 & 9654) and lamped, awaiting crew and weathering.

By way of contrition I do have other small & cute/less 'ugly' tank locos (see Rapido 15xx thread), such as SECR 327 (P) and 751 (Terrier) and 30096 (B4). Mind you, my 30064 (USA tank) gives 1509 a run for its money in the 'less glamorous' stakes.

Edit: Thanks to Captain Kernow for the 54xx chassis info.

Cheers, Nigel.

IMG_2450.jpg

Panniertastic. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

sent away to the south coast for being very, very naughty.

That’s Eastbourne for you.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

Good evening folks,

Thanks very much for the likes/comments.

I have now corrected the backward leaning lamp on 9654.

It's now standing up straight, although not as erect (ooh er) as the Supreme Pannier's hose :)

Plates for re-numbering to be ordered from 247 Developments tomorrow, including giving 1509 some etched plates.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Plates for re-numbering to be ordered from 247 Developments tomorrow, including giving 1509 some etched plates.

It scrubs up well with them.😉

DSCN9227bw.jpg.43b79fe98219986b796bee99b86f6a3a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1