NHY 581

49 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I'll post some images in a moment or two of my swollen end................

R

Now there's a phrase you don't hear in polite company.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Drat beaten to it.
  • Agree 1

The wheel problem is a concern.  I have a Sentinel that hasn't been used for quite a while so I will have to look at it.  I assume the wheels come out quite easily ?

The same thing happened with my Bachmann split frame 04 diesel.

I also have an old Mainline J72 0-5-0.  One wheel has fallen off leaving the Mazak stub in the plastic muff.

Who would be a railway modeller ?  As a friend always says "why do we do it"?

Rodney

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, PMP said:

‘safe places’ are brilliant. Make sure that when you store them there they are unlabelled. This is important when you find them in five years time you don’t recall what they are and discard them. Ideally the bin day before an artefact breaks and you remember you’ve got spares and where they were

I sub-contract all such long-term storage out to a depository in a distant galaxy, located at the end of the wormhole, which curiously follows my hobby room, whichever part of the house it happens to be located and, indeed, between different house moves.

Such advanced alien technology...

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, RodneyS said:

The wheel problem is a concern.  I have a Sentinel that hasn't been used for quite a while so I will have to look at it.  I assume the wheels come out quite easily ?

I also have an old Mainline J72 0-5-0.  One wheel has fallen off leaving the Mazak stub in the plastic muff.

Rodney

I feel your pain. Collapsed mazak in a couple of otherwise-delicious and very low-mileage Hornby T9s is really depressing. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, RodneyS said:

Hi Rodney,

Peter's Spares do replacement gear sets for old split frame Bachmann locos. 

Worth a look.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I feel your pain. Collapsed mazak in a couple of otherwise-delicious and very low-mileage Hornby T9s is really depressing. 

I bought a Peter's Spares motor mount with a view to fixing mine. In the event, the entire chassis had disintegrated so I had to buy a complete (second-hand) loco to get a replacement chassis. So far, so good.

If the motor mount is of any use to you, just PM your address.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Yes, all ordered this morning from Peters Spares along with more steps and brake gear. 

I've ordered enough axles to replace all six and to keep a couple spare.....but not in such a 'safe place' as the others.........

Morning Rob,

Peter's Spares is a great for stocking up on Dapol spares.

The MR Sentinel is a cracking model perhaps weakened with the DJ design influence affecting reliability and maintenance.

Taking the wheelsets out entails wrecking the break gear etc. Not a clever design.

Saying that. When they run well they are just the thing for a small layout.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, RodneyS said:

Rodney

Hi Rodders,

I have some images which demonstrate how to, courtesy of @46444 which with his permission, I'll send on a PM. 

The wheels on the Sentinel are normally a tight, interference fit but if the axles have split then yes, they pop out easily enough. On a positive, you need not worry about quartering them on replacement. As Mark mentions above, best ordering a set of brake gear and possibly a pair of steps as well in case of accidents. 

Axles for the 04 are also available from Peters Spares. He does two types, white or black and for the life of me, I cannot remember the difference. Check your original fitting prior to ordering. To refit, do one axle at a time leaving the other wheelsets in the chassis and rods connected. It makes quartering a lot easier with just a tweak needed here and there at the end. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Morning Ian, 

I had exactly that. A new motor mount in brass from Peters Spares sorted it but said motor mount did need a few rough edges attending to first. Otherwise, fine and restored. 

Of the two T9s, only one needed replacing but I bought two replacements in case. It's in stock........somewhere......next to the Sentinel axles no doubt and with the unmade D&S S&DJR Brake van kit......

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

What lube are you using on these?  I recall some oils cause absolute chaos with soft plastics, 3-in-1 in particular killed old Triang-Hornby wheels.  This was an issue with Proto 2000 Yank-o-diesels too, but not sure it was a specific oil problem.  I only use synthetic oils, er, now.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Rodders,

I have some images which demonstrate how to, courtesy of @46444 which with his permission, I'll send on a PM. 

The wheels on the Sentinel are normally a tight, interference fit but if the axles have split then yes, they pop out easily enough. On a positive, you need not worry about quartering them on replacement. As Mark mentions above, best ordering a set of brake gear and possibly a pair of steps as well in case of accidents. 

Axles for the 04 are also available from Peters Spares. He does two types, white or black and for the life of me, I cannot remember the difference. Check your original fitting prior to ordering. To refit, do one axle at a time leaving the other wheelsets in the chassis and rods connected. It makes quartering a lot easier with just a tweak needed here and there at the end. 

Rob. 

Go ahead Rob.

No problems sharing those snaps.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

What lube are you using on these?  I recall some oils cause absolute chaos with soft plastics, 3-in-1 in particular killed old Triang-Hornby wheels.  This was an issue with Proto 2000 Yank-o-diesels too, but not sure it was a specific oil problem.  I only use synthetic oils, er, now.

Morning Neil, 

A bit of Gaugemaster oil, plastic friendly apparently...........

R

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Spams, 

Possibly. The problem us that the ends are pretty much the smooth bearing surfaces. I wonder therefore, if the issue is the ends them selves rather than the surface if that makes sense so by gluing the wheels in would that then seal the ends, thereby preventing oil getting into the ends themselves ? 

I'll post some images in a moment or two of my swollen end................

R

Do you remember the chat we had previously about you not posting photos of your swollen bits?... This is one of those moments I mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PMP said:

‘safe places’ are brilliant. Make sure that when you store them there they are unlabelled. This is important when you find them in five years time you don’t recall what they are and discard them. Ideally the bin day before an artefact breaks and you remember you’ve got spares and where they were

I once started keeping a list of all the bits I was keeping in safe places. The idea was to remind me where I put them... Lost the list. Put it somewhere safe.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Said swollen/split Sentinel nether regions.

20240128_091656-01.jpeg.2f94d9b0ec03f79098886cdf567bcbe4.jpeg

Not pleasant. 

You almost need one of them chaps wot works in precision tolerances to turn down the metal stub a bit and then epoxy the plastic to the stub so that the metal end isn't trying to spilt the plastic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Do you remember the chat we had previously about you not posting photos of your swollen bits?... This is one of those moments I mentioned. 

smiling-sheep-gary-canant.jpg.f4349c008532e3e774624537e85adb3f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

From your photo Rob, it looks as though the plastic tubes are split at both ends.

The Mainline and Bachmann ones only seem to split at the 'long' end.

It's a very odd design.

I've just run my Sentinel and it seems fine.  It makes a noise like an angry wasp but is smooth enough.  The receipt I kept in the box is dated 2011.  Was it really all that time ago ?

It might be a good idea to invest in a set of wheels though.

Rodney

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

I once started keeping a list of all the bits I was keeping in safe places. The idea was to remind me where I put them... Lost the list. Put it somewhere safe.

Clearly not with you pannier collection.

Adrian

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Clearly not with you pannier collection.

Adrian

Well one has been sold, another sent away to the south coast for being very, very naughty.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Well one has been sold, another sent away to the south coast for being very, very naughty.

One dreads to think what you'd do with them if you really liked them.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

In certain circles the Captain is renowned for his incredibly good taste and a Pannier never offends...

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Bad form. 

Remember, A Pannier's for life, not just for one layout. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

56 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Agreed. Just somebody else's life and layout.  😁

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Bad form. 

Ha! But those I have are for two layouts, one in 4mm, the other in 7mm. Same locos though.

• Like 2