NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Donw said:

I wasn't aware of that aim. I   enjoy building a few turnouts. On a small layout it is not onerous but I will admit end of January  would be pushing it.  Nor would building turnouts suit those you are trying to encourage I suspect.

Don 

I always admire those who build their own track, and usually everyone admires the result - night and day different from proprietary track, though that has improved. But for many of us, getting the layout up and trains running is actually the objective, so we accept 16.5mm and other compromises. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But for many of us, getting the layout up and trains running is actually the objective, so we accept 16.5mm and other compromises. 

I think you guys know, I love to build anything scenic including structures but track, no way. I'll leave all that to Peco and Marcway.

But isn't that the fascination of this hobby, something for everyone?

• Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I always admire those who build their own track, and usually everyone admires the result - night and day different from proprietary track, though that has improved. But for many of us, getting the layout up and trains running is actually the objective, so we accept 16.5mm and other compromises. 

Reliability/Durability is a key for me - especially as I go to shows with my layouts - I suspect Rob has the same need...I'm about to build my first Finetrax 00 point but it will be interesting to see if it ends up on an exhibition layout (not a reflection on the product - just my ability to build one....)

Chris

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

Plan is to pick up the plain track today to get things going this evening. Hopefully I can at least get the track cut to length and laid out by tomorrow evening. I need to look into the fiddle yard side of things. 

This is all about keeping things small, simple and as cost effective as possible so I'll be using as many "in stock" items as I can........

Rob

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Morning Ian, 

Exactly the case for methough we have some very accomplished track builders frequenting this thread. All I would say is that the PECO Streamline track on my layouts has been mistaken on a few occasions by "knowledgeable types" for EM gauge. 

Carefully painting and ballasting is key to this subterfuge. Time spent on what is my least favourite aspect ( ballasting) really does pay dividends.......and worth the time spent if only to annoy the nasal toned, hair shirt wearing, narrow minded "finescale experts" who look down their pipes at 00. Fortunately, I rarely come into contact with these intolerant sorts. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

and worth the time spent if only to annoy the nasal toned, hair shirt wearing, narrow minded "finescale experts" who look down their pipes at 00

What larks! Annoying the hair shirts - all good sporting fun!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Carefully painting and ballasting is key to this subterfuge. Time spent on what is my least favourite aspect ( ballasting) really does pay dividends.......

I think that and the raised position giving a more natural viewing angle doesn’t highlight the sleeper spacing. I’ve smiled at Larkrail when someone assumed it was EM, proving if you are captured by the scene they don’t look for the compromises. 
Love the concept of the quick but realistic off the shelf as that’s exactly what I did with my last OO layout and many assumed that was EM because I used C&L and matching rtr points by Marcway. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

I think that and the raised position giving a more natural viewing angle doesn’t highlight the sleeper spacing. I’ve smiled at Larkrail when someone assumed it was EM, proving if you are captured by the scene they don’t look for the compromises. 
Love the concept of the quick but realistic off the shelf as that’s exactly what I did with my last OO layout and many assumed that was EM because I used C&L and matching rtr points by Marcway. 

I built Felton Lane with C&L flexi and hand built turnouts, I think their flexitrack is to H0 scale so has the correct proportions, comparing it to EM there's quite a sleeper spacing difference. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

I built Felton Lane with C&L flexi and hand built turnouts, I think their flexitrack is to H0 scale so has the correct proportions, comparing it to EM there's quite a sleeper spacing difference. 

That only becomes apparent if compared directly though in most cases. It gets away with it at higher viewing angles where the Peco track is more easily recognised. As Rob said the ballasting and colour are a major factor but the viewing angle also helps. 
I like high level layouts as it’s much easier for me as I’m a tad tall but on a personal note I’ve chosen to build my exhibitable layouts to a lower level that is at the highest average open to kids and wheelchairs due to purely personal choice.
Now before we go in the usual cycle I don’t believe all layouts should be low at a show 😉 I think a spread is fine as while shorter viewing points may have to use a periscope equally I find I have to crouch or stoop to see many lower layouts because they put fascia’s or the lighting rig right in my eyeline. Many assume because I’m tall I’m ok but no one campaigns to stop us hitting our heads or insists they raise historic buildings doorways do they? Yes I can stoop but it usually means back ache and there’s been many shows I’ve been glad to sit down as my back or knees are aching from bending, kneeling or crouching to see the layouts better and that’s getting harder to do these days! 😉

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

My apologies I seem to have set  a hare running. This is a hobby done for pleasure. I am happy to buy coaches if they are the right sort as I enjoy building track more than coaches.  Do the things that give you pleasure and use commercial bits where that suits you. As to whether my trackwork is admirable, probably not, I dont claim to be highly skilled.  

Don

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Donw said:

My apologies I seem to have set  a hare running. This is a hobby done for pleasure. I am happy to buy coaches if they are the right sort as I enjoy building track more than coaches.  Do the things that give you pleasure and use commercial bits where that suits you. As to whether my trackwork is admirable, probably not, I dont claim to be highly skilled.  

Don

No it’s rather nice you took it to be the finer stuff which just proves Rob’s approach works. 
As you say it’s for pleasure and that is different for everyone so we all notice or look for different things, all that matters is it’s what you enjoy and as you’ve done others can appreciate other elements without dismissing the whole. 😀

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I think that the overall end result is most important. 

It's all very well concentrating on one element (with track and locos being favourite focuses) and getting that right to the nth degree, but if you apply a lesser level to scenics, stock, running, presentation (for instance) then for me the overall effect is diminished. 

I believe Rob's layouts are successful as he applies the same standards to everything and the results are consistent and believable. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

On 05/01/2024 at 20:54, NHY 581 said:

As it happens........a diversionary side project is being mused upon this evening.......Take one surplus LACK shelf.......a return to Sheep Lane ? 

20240105_204851-01.jpeg.90c75c98b3e3a784358fe092e706fe28.jpeg

Rob

With the sad announcement today that Hattons are closing, I guess you must be relieved to have three of their lovely P class locos to hand.

I’m desperately trying to remember if I pre-ordered another BR liveried example to act as a stable mate to my current P class loco … although they do say they are considering whether to do that second run of P class locos.

If they do, I can guarantee that there will be plenty of Mendacious Chisellers buying them up and immediately posting them on eBay at inflated prices! In any case, resale values of P class locos will rise, as they are super little models.

Personally I will be very sad not to see a second run of their delightful Barclays - I had my eye on a couple/trio/quartet of new liveries (something else to check whether I had pre-ordered with them!) having originally purchased ‘Katie’ directly from them, and then a second hand ‘Coronation’ from my local model shop.

A very sad day to see such a major retailer and manufacturer decide to call it a day.

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Sad news indeed. Hattons were instrumental in my moving from train set to model railways when I'd just left junior school. 

They were the first trader I bought anything from, the original Airfix 14XX, I think it was about £7. I saved my odd job money and having seen their advert in Model Railway Constructor, I sent them a postal order for my first "super detail" loco.

And the rest, is history. Forty years later I was still buying bits. I'm sure that a large percentage of modellers will miss them.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

With the sad announcement today that Hattons are closing, I guess you must be relieved to have three of their lovely P class locos to hand.

I’m desperately trying to remember if I pre-ordered another BR liveried example to act as a stable mate to my current P class loco … although they do say they are considering whether to do that second run of P class locos.

If they do, I can guarantee that there will be plenty of Mendacious Chisellers buying them up and immediately posting them on eBay at inflated prices! In any case, resale values of P class locos will rise, as they are super little models.

Personally I will be very sad not to see a second run of their delightful Barclays - I had my eye on a couple/trio/quartet of new liveries (something else to check whether I had pre-ordered with them!) having originally purchased ‘Katie’ directly from them, and then a second hand ‘Coronation’ from my local model shop.

A very sad day to see such a major retailer and manufacturer decide to call it a day.

Steve S

Morning Steve,

I think the P will be taken up. It's a good model and one for which demand remains high. 

It is therefore an attractive product to acquire and I'm sure that if not already ongoing, conversations will be had. 

In the same category are the Genesis coaches. We just need to be patient and see how it all pans out.

In the meantime, we will undoubtedly see prices spiral. P classes in the Wainwright livery are currently on ebay for £170 and four packs of Genesis coaches are easily exceeding £200-£250. 

With no attempt at smugness, I'm glad I bought mine when I did but I do currently have pre- orders in on several P class and a number of Genesis coaches, mainly a few GER to theoretically accompany the Accurascale S22 0.6.0Ts on order. It's rather pointless speculating about if or when these items will appear. They either will or won't and frankly, I've got more than enough to be going on with. 

On the subject of on going things, I have some track to lay.............

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Just to return to the DCC powercab questions of a few pages ago (sorry to butt in) how do others go about setting up a dedicated programing track, I can use a short board on the work bench untill Exhill MK2 is planned.

At this point I will wire up the panel connection under the existing facia ... wondering if a separate track feed plug is available to swop over ... 

On Danemouth the programming track is one of the sidings, I also have a couple of terminals for use for a rolling road or a piece of track. Have a look here In normal operation all three switches shown are on with two turned off for loco programming before selecting the appropriate option on the Powercab.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the idea Dave, I'll rig up something to power a separate board for programing untill Exhill MK2 ....

Thinking about it I might have a spare terminal connector in my box of  'get me out of jail' parts in my works van I can utilise....

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, John Besley said:

That's going to be fun shunting that long siding with the short head shunt...

Yep. Intentional embuggerance. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

And the first train has run.........

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 7