NHY 581

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning John. 

Sorry, I’ve no idea what that is. If I have created one of those it’s a coincidence. I’ve simply reworked my own Sheep Lane as seen here under construction back in 2016....

77C0F156-054F-44A6-A764-1641DA471BF9.jpeg.84605424a9baf1808b791fe91891b6b8.jpeg

I’ve added a point, changed a couple from right to left hand and altered the point of entry. 

Rob

6 points, calm down Sheepmeister. You will be wanting to do Clapham Junction next.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Sorry my mistake it's called a time-saver puzzle, developed by John Allen of G&DRR fame, the attached shows the concept...

Concept1.gif.027fda1d4ea59647ed2acf9797dce35d.gif

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 8

40 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Sorry my mistake it's called a time-saver puzzle, developed by John Allen of G&DRR fame, the attached shows the concept...

Concept1.gif.027fda1d4ea59647ed2acf9797dce35d.gif

Hmm, that looks kind of close to Whaley Shunt in its extended form, but with a kickback siding and one siding reversed…

• RMweb Gold

If you are limiting yourself to six points there is only a finite number of ways to connect them and some will be more effective than others so the chances are that what you come up with will have been used by others.  The scenic treatment  and the stock  used will make all the difference.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

As it happens........a diversionary side project is being mused upon this evening.......Take one surplus LACK shelf.......a return to Sheep Lane ? 

20240105_204851-01.jpeg.90c75c98b3e3a784358fe092e706fe28.jpeg

Rob

What I particularly like about this (and your other more recent) track formation(s) compared to your earlier layouts is your use of standard points to avoid reverse curves through points around loops - it inspired me to rethink the trackwork for my own micro layout Blackford Wharf (with set track code 100 points, where reverse curves are even more severe).

Looking carefully at the above, there are no reverse curves through any of your pointwork formations … I feel I may end up stealing borrowing this trackplan for Woodhey Wharf when I eventually build it! (Note to self - purchase of 6 x code 75 medium points required)

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

What I particularly like about this (and your other more recent) track formation(s) compared to your earlier layouts is your use of standard points to avoid reverse curves through points around loops - it inspired me to rethink the trackwork for my own micro layout Blackford Wharf (with set track code 100 points, where reverse curves are even more severe).

Looking carefully at the above, there are no reverse curves through any of your pointwork formations … I feel I may end up stealing borrowing this trackplan for Woodhey Wharf when I eventually build it! (Note to self - purchase of 6 x code 75 medium points required)

Steve S

Is that not a reverse curve through the right hand crossover? Changing the top point to a right hand will work if there is sufficient space. Nice track formation noted for future reference.

Andrew

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Sitham Yard said:

Is that not a reverse curve through the right hand crossover? Changing the top point to a right hand will work if there is sufficient space. Nice track formation noted for future reference.

Andrew

Ah, serves me right for reading on my mobile phone without my glasses!

On zooming in on the photo you are quite right, as that particular point is a Y (albeit a nice long one) which introduces a subtle reverse curve; if replaced by a right hand point it would, as you say, remove that reverse curve. Funny how I hadn’t noticed that earlier and assumed all the points were left and right hand only.

It’s a great trackplan — I’ve saved the image for future reference and have already sketched it turned around 180° (so the front is the back) to see if it works as a quasi Wells-Next-The-Sea quayside layout!

Steve S

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, 

Steve, tgere are no Y points on the plan. The two long points are two medium radius points I had knocking about. I've now obtained replacement small radius points so all points are small radius L or R. 

Photo follow. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

Steve, tgere are no Y points on the plan. The two long points are two medium radius points I had knocking about. I've now obtained replacement small radius points so all points are small radius L or R. 

Photo follow. 

Rob. 

Thanks for that, Rob - booking my appointment for Specsavers as obviously my eyesight is worse than I thought! I could have sworn that right hand point was a Y … I’m gonna blame @Sitham Yard * for suggesting there was a reverse curve at the right hand side, which was enough for me to then see one and deduct that was because of a Y point! 

The likes of Paul McKenna (remember him?) and Derren Brown have made careers out of using the power of  “suggestion” to influence people - perhaps @Sitham Yard is one of them in disguise?! 🥸

🤣

Steve S

* not really!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

A touch of frustration this morning as I want to get on with the quick build that currently isn't thanks to my own ineptitude...

Remember,  this is nothing fancy. As per Sheep Lane,  it will be able to be popped on a table and played with. It's just a layout to be enjoyed and proof that it doesn't have to be a grandiose scheme to provide fun and relaxation.........and the build doesn't have to drag on.

Stay tuned. 

Rob

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Here you go........loose straight track dropped about the place ( I forget to pick up some matching flexi track ). When I come to lay the track ( if I'd remembered said yard lengths, I'd have done it tomorrow......curses ! ) it won't all be straight. 

20240106_205435-01.jpeg.af875eb9c2c51dd822d7087e09ac3423.jpeg

Rob

Interesting.... the powers of magnification on screen have revealed to me that the green loco is not, in fact, a representative of the LNER, but rather one of the Southern...?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just noticed that Sheep Lane is due to appear later this month at Normanton Exhibition with it's new owner @durham light infantry ... for those of us of a Northern disposition.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, 03060 said:

I've just noticed that Sheep Lane is due to appear later this month at Normanton Exhibition with it's new owner @durham light infantry ... for those of us of a Northern disposition.

Mutton will be at Pontefract too, in 2026. Further exhibitions in the deep South and West (Notts, Derby, Lancs) would be welcome.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Interesting.... the powers of magnification on screen have revealed to me that the green loco is not, in fact, a representative of the LNER, but rather one of the Southern...?

Well Captain, I think you’ll find it’s this one, at the front.

image.jpeg.a66bbf9aabc4c1b67785c4fd9628c5d0.jpeg

Paul

Edited by Flying Fox 34F
Additional words for clarity
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. This little side project is really a generic shunty, non company specific, predominantly pre-grouping plank thing. The B4s do look at home and currently, I don't have a layout on which they look comfortable........and engines like to look comfortable. 

Rob

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

You're giving me a fit of the notions...

I had those earlier. I put it down to yesterday's bean stew. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

One B4 did end up in North Eastern territory at Skinningrove iron works. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Here you go........loose straight track dropped about the place ( I forget to pick up some matching flexi track ). When I come to lay the track ( if I'd remembered said yard lengths, I'd have done it tomorrow......curses ! ) it won't all be straight. 

20240106_205435-01.jpeg.af875eb9c2c51dd822d7087e09ac3423.jpeg

Rob

That, and that alone IMHO, is the best way to design a layout in a modest space. Laying points in their intended locations enables you to measure runrounds and other key lengths, to ensure the final result will be worth operating. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

That, and that alone IMHO, is the best way to design a layout in a modest space. Laying points in their intended locations enables you to measure runrounds and other key lengths, to ensure the final result will be worth operating. 

Afternoon Ian, 

Yes, I'm not very good at planning, designing etc. I cope better in 3D using the actual components. I have a thought, source the bits and then throw them about until it looks about right. Not quite there with this just yet but pretty happy with the track layout. I'll know for sure in a day or so when I should have the plain track and it's cut to length, possibly wired up as well. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

One B4 did end up in North Eastern territory at Skinningrove iron works. 

Hi Paul, 

Jersey did indeed go oop North. 

From The B4 Dock Tanks by Peter Cooper.

20240107_125543-01.jpeg.c4ceebf65402b9bb0c7fe5d2b8038ff6.jpeg

Rob

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

If as in my case you are intending to build the turnouts rather than buy in. I just choose a suitable lead and mark the crossing nose and blades tips on the board.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Donw said:

If as in my case you are intending to build the turnouts rather than buy in. I just choose a suitable lead and mark the crossing nose and blades tips on the board.

Don

Hi Don. 

All noted but the 'point' ( no pun intended) of this latest build is to encourage and to demonstrate to fellow members that a layout that will provide fun and entertainment can be built from readily available components and arguably finished in a very short time. 

I'll go so far as to say that this layout will be pretty much finished to an acceptable standard by the end of January. 

Rob.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Don. 

All noted but the 'point' ( no pun intended) of this latest build is to encourage and to demonstrate to fellow members that a layout that will provide fun and entertainment can be built from readily available components and arguably finished in a very short time. 

I'll go so far as to say that this layout will be pretty much finished to an acceptable standard by the end of January. 

Rob.

I wasn't aware of that aim. I   enjoy building a few turnouts. On a small layout it is not onerous but I will admit end of January  would be pushing it.  Nor would building turnouts suit those you are trying to encourage I suspect.

Don 

• Like 1