NHY 581

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

20220618_102823-01.jpeg.fa8d1bb0cc52232bfb0866d408088587.jpeg

Rob. 

Oh Rob - not AGAIN...??!! How many more times do you have to be told - sneaking in photos of the real thing & claiming it's a model is not allowed.!!! 🙄🙄🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, interesting list of layouts, one stood out at me - Whitecliff Quarry Branch - sounds Forest of Dean-ish - does anyone know anything about it?

As per 03060's response, yes it is unmistakably Forest of Dean, I have seen it myself & the owner is very friendly too. 👍

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RobAllen said:

If all goes to plan, I'll be visiting on Sunday. This will be my first exhibition since the late '80s when I helped my dad and Peter Marshall exhibit a layout called Burnham Thorpe.

I saw Burnham Thorpe a couple of times, must have been in Essex somewhere, inspirational for a young skint modeller trying to start out in East Anglian modelling. I still have the Model  Railway Constructor with the article in it.  The first model railway magazine I ever bought back in October 1977 I still look at my very early magazines from time to time, they can still provide inspiration.

I assume this is the same layout?

Edited by mullie
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

If anyone is going do make yourselves known. 

Rob. 

I was intending to go down to the excellent looking 1 day show at Portsmouth by rail but weather forecast for south coast and area south of Salisbury etc is sh1te so I'll probably pop up to Thornbury I expect unless the forecast improves overnight

Pity in one way as I have a potential invite to the Portsmouth show in 2024 and I've never been so it was a bit of reconnaissance...

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I was intending to go down to the excellent looking 1 day show at Portsmouth by rail but weather forecast for south coast and area south of Salisbury etc is sh1te so I'll probably pop up to Thornbury I expect unless the forecast improves overnight

Pity in one way as I have a potential invite to the Portsmouth show in 2024 and I've never been so it was a bit of reconnaissance...

Chris

Evening Chris, 

I might see you there......Portsmouth '24 that is as I too have a tentative invite. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mullie said:

I saw Burnham Thorpe a couple of times, must have been in Essex somewhere, inspirational for a young skint modeller trying to start out in East Anglian modelling. I still have the Model  Railway Constructor with the article in it.  The first model railway magazine I ever bought back in October 1977 I still look at my very early magazines from time to time, they can still provide inspiration.

I assume this is the same layout?

Yep, that’s the one. It was set in East Anglia, BR period and was run to a sequence at exhibitions. I must get a copy of that magazine as my memory is hazy!

My dad was an electrician, so had a van, which together with Peter’s car enabled the layout to be transported without the needing van hire. 

Edited by RobAllen
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Sadly no, she is retired now and paints. I am sure there was a dozen cans of Forth Bridge Red in their garage last time we were there.

You're lucky, my ex mother in law just wintered on like the MIL from some 1960s kitchen sink drama, eg: "You should be grateful  that you've got a job, any job!" 

Well I wasn't, the money was a pittance  and my boss was an arrogant ****.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Portsmouth show today was positively brilliant top quality layouts.

Interesting to note the New accessible venue. When I took a layout to that show some years ago (possibly 25 years!!!)  it was in a real warren of small rooms. I did really enjoy it though.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Some fots from the show on Saturday..click on the photo for the album.

Thornbury 2023

Good to see you yesterday Chris and thanks for posting the photos. For me, Ashover was the stand out layout. Lovely pallette. Sadly, it seemed quiet and the organisers thought the numbers were down on last year. We had a good day on the stand though and trade was brisk at times. 

13 minutes ago, Silas said:

A very good show, in a much-improved venue.  Some good layouts, Ashover Light Railway and Lochty in particular appealed to me.  Thanks again, Rob, for bringing this to our attention, i hope you enjoyed your visit.

Jon T

Hi Jon, Yes, always good to get to a show in any capacity. Saw quite a few people yesterday who weren't aware of my link to Lord and Butler and they were asking where the layout was ! 

On that point, like Chris,  I'm starting to pick up invites to shows next year including a couple new to me. Once confirmed, I'll flag these up in due course as it's always nice to meet up with people. 

Rob. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Good to see you yesterday Chris and thanks for posting the photos. For me, Ashover was the stand out layout. Lovely pallette.

3 hours ago, Silas said:

A very good show, in a much-improved venue.  Some good layouts, Ashover Light Railway and Lochty in particular appealed to me.

I visited today and agree. A particular thank you to the exhibitors of Heybridge Wharf, Ashover and Lochty who were very friendly and incredibly helpful, answering my questions about their layouts.

I took some videos, so now need to learn how to edit them together into one thing for YouTube.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

PS the weather wasn't too bad, bit moist but hey........

I know...looking at the Met Office forecast Sat pm/Sun am it felt as if I needed to bring my Airfix Noah's Ark ( Series 3) kit...I'm a bit hacked off TBH as I could have done Thornbury on Sunday. Looked like a great show at Portsmouth...

Chris

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, figworthy said:

I don't know why he keeps up the pretence.   We all know that deep down he likes them.

Adrian

Classic overcompensation old chap.

I mean, they are very flat on top, look like an old fashioned streamer trunk, painted green...

Need I go on?

Wolfers.

• Agree 1