NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Yes, there's no intention to exhibit these. This is just a bit of fun. 

Rob

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Yes, there's no intention to exhibit these. This is just a bit of fun. 

Rob

Thats what you say now ..........

still if pressed you ask for a couple of tables to stand them on. Would work for me.

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, this is NOT an early start to the new project. Nope. 

It's more of a self generated challenge. You hear many modellers bemoan the lack of available space hence why they are unable to fit a layout into the house. 

I saw these today. They each measure 53cm x 30 cm overall. They have their own legs which obviously fold under and will sit on a large dining table or even on the floor. There are clearly a number of compromises to be made but I reckon it's possible to build a perfectly satisfying shunting layout using these little tables. 

And do it relatively quickly.............

Rob. 

Why the rush?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, mullie said:

Why the rush?

Morning Martyn, 

Good point. What I meant to say, was that these little tables offer the chance to put together a layout quickly , not rushed but one where it is easy to maintain progress and therefore interest. Too many projects stall and interest is lost . What is evident to me is these provide a basis on which to arrive at a small, albeit simple layout that is easily stored and can then be popped up, enjoyed and then stored for the next time. 

It kind of goes against my usual modus operandi which normally ends up in a self contained, exhibitable Cameo layout which is fully up and operable at home. 

I'm intrigued by the opportunity it presents, both to me as a builder and to those who think they don't have space or time to produce a layout. 

Time is a bit tight at present so I'll simply gather together a few bits and bobs with which to produce what I hope will be a neat little home layout. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Ps and Qs
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

In other news, the planned emptying of the Room of Doom today has been paused. I've  been asked to cover the shop today as there is a bad case of lurghi doing the rounds. I seemed to have dodged the bullet thus far. 

However, refurb of R o D will recommence tomorrow. Memsahib appears to think we can complete by Sunday...............

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Evening Rob,

Nice as always to catch up at the shop, I've been back a few pages in this thread and things seem to be ticking along nicely.

As I said, I've started the board for my NCB project and it now has a thread on here. If you ever get bored enough to read my junk then I'll post the link below and I'll look forward to any sage advice or input, thoughts, opinions, abuse etc that you may be able to offer.

Cheers,

Wayne 

Morning Wayne. 

Good to see. The B2 is a lovely model and the version you've acquired was the one I originally wanted to run alongside the W4s on Sheep Dip. I shall pop in to the thread.....

Rob

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I saw these today. They each measure 53cm x 30 cm overall. They have their own legs which obviously fold under and will sit on a large dining table or even on the floor. There are clearly a number of compromises to be made but I reckon it's possible to build a perfectly satisfying shunting layout using these little tables. 

Definitley feasible, that'll give you 159cm x 30cm - my "Auckland Wharf" is 168 x 24 using 3 SMS "layout in a box" boards (the basic pack of two plus an extension), there's quite a few people on here with layouts built on just two.

• Like 2

Looks to be another interesting project Rob. What’s the underside of each table like? Is there room for bolts below the surface to fasten the tables together or would it be a case of over-centre catches on the outer edges?

Are you intending to infill the surface up to the top of the lip or just build up a trackbed leaving 8mm for scenic development below track level?

• RMweb Gold

Morning Nick and er.....Nick. 

The key thing is the fact that it's a self supporting, self contained 'board'. 

The underside ( which I've neglected to mention or measure......) looks like it will take a bolt or two to bring them together. There are also options interms of putting them up. 

The middle table could have both sets of legs down and the others would 'piggyback' off them using just one set of legs....or the end 'board' could use both sets of legs with subsequent boards using just one......etc, etc...

The recess beneath is not deep enough to hide or protect any point motors though as I type this, I wonder it an above board motor could be located below and connect using suitable linkage....

As for infilling the top, good point Nick. A full infill would work and this is my first thought but an alternative would be to just infill where the track sits but you'd have to then infill between the tracks in any event ( thinking as I type here ) 

I'll also measure from base of rail to bottom of sleeper as another option might be to infill using 6mm MDF /ply which would place track level slightly below the top edge of the side framing but still allow the rails to be above the side/ end framing when going across the 'board joints'. 

Rob

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

And ( again thinking as I type...) the points could be activated using say, brass rod in tubes exiting via the side framing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Martyn, 

Good point. What I meant to say, was that these little tables offer the chance to put together a layout quickly , not rushed but one where it is easy to maintain progress and therefore interest. Too many projects stall and interest is lost . What is evident to me is these provide a basis on which to arrive at a small, albeit simple layout that is easily stored and can then be popped up, enjoyed and then stored for the next time. 

It kind of goes against my usual modus operandi which normally ends up in a self contained, exhibitable Cameo layout which is fully up and operable at home. 

I'm intrigued by the opportunity it presents, both to me as a builder and to those who think they don't have space or time to produce a layout. 

Time is a bit tight at present so I'll simply gather together a few bits and bobs with which to produce what I hope will be a neat little home layout. 

Rob. 

As you know my layout is three boards that spend most of their life connected together or can be operated independently and attend exhibitions.  As you say small projects that can be achieved are a good idea, helps the motivation. Shall follow with interest. 

Currently working from home as our only connection with the UK is closed!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, mullie said:

As you know my layout is three boards that spend most of their life connected together or can be operated independently and attend exhibitions.  As you say small projects that can be achieved are a good idea, helps the motivation. Shall follow with interest. 

Currently working from home as our only connection with the UK is closed!

Crikey ! 

38 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So has @NHY 581 invented a new modular standard?

I can forsee an interesting meet up at the next SWAG as everyone brings there own tables modules to the event for a mass game of pass the pastie.

That’s not such a bad idea…

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So has @NHY 581 invented a new modular standard?

I can forsee an interesting meet up at the next SWAG as everyone brings there own tables modules to the event for a mass game of pass the pastie.

I'll bring one in EM that should b&gger things up, I'm sure someone could bring one in P4!

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, mullie said:

I'll bring one in EM that should b&gger things up, I'm sure someone could bring one in P4!

That's it. Never say there's an absence of joined up thinking at SWAG........

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Just clocked an excellent write up on Chris Hopper's Lockdown Fen in this month's BRM. 

Very nice article. 

Rob

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

And ( again thinking as I type...) the points could be activated using say, brass rod in tubes exiting via the side framing. 

I hhave used brass rod in plastruct tubing if the track is on a subbase (cork?) you just cut a channel through for the tubing. Same for wires.

If you went for servos they can often go under small buildings, platforms etc again short bits of tubing can reach under tracks where needed.

Don 

If I was near enough for swag I would bring two modules one in 2mfs and one in 7mm that  would cause more problems.

Edited by Donw
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1