NHY 581

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

Well, thanks to better weather than anticipated and two early starts and long days,  the garden project has effectively been completed three days ahead of schedule.............

20231026_170331.jpg.1f7539940b8fc122ebdc1995c15aea40.jpg

Still some tidying and groundwork to finish but the fence is done and a skip filled with the excess soil, clay rubble etc. 

Top day. 

So.........we can now start thinking about the Room of Doom.......maybe......

Rob

I see you've trimmed your bush too.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 2ManySpams said:

I see you've trimmed your bush too.

Of course. 

• Like 1

The fence looks very neat indeed, well done resisting the temptation to weather it and replace sections with salvaged corrugated iron or enamel signs...

BTW have the cats given it the seal of approval yet?

I believe that the criteria are:

Being able to walk across the top, two toes either side of the boards.

The ability to sit on top and scowl at lesser beings.

There may be others.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

On a lighter note, looks like the revamp to the Room of Doom will indeed commence in a week or so. 

Rob

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

With the Memsahib in the garden, I'm going to test a couple of DCC decoders. 

The new layout, when it gets going will be DCC from the start, unlike EWE which was originally DC. 

Not sure yet if this new fangledness will extend to electric points but one step at a time. Frankly, the most important thing is the running of the locos. Any other stuff is secondary to this, hence the research and development. 

Rob. 

• Like 10

Good track and super loco mechanisms are all part of the mix, but can I toss in Stay Alives for the locos as well with DCC

It just adds that extra little bit of insurance when running so that the hand of God is pretty much eliminated except to help with uncoupling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

The new layout, when it gets going will be DCC from the start, unlike EWE which was originally DC. 

Not sure yet if this new fangledness will extend to electric points but one step at a time. Frankly, the most important thing is the running of the locos. Any other stuff is secondary to this, hence the research and development. 

Rob. 

Testing DCC in the garden? Narrow gauge garden railway?? 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all. 

Rob. 

DCC doesn't have to be complicated in my view. I dismissed sound fairly early on as I don't like generic sound (I don't search for generic music), most locos wouldn't have the correct sound files available and as someone who has worked with sound artists across the years,  the sound of the locos is just one part of a rich sound canvas, what about everything else?

DCC enables you to fine tune motors to get the best out of them, in my case that is some Comet chassis, Bullant bogies (with stay alive) and re gauged ready to run both diesel and steam. That for me is enough. 

Point and signal control is something I experimented with quite successfully and still have some accessory decoders, my latest layouts are very luddite, using wire in tube for point work.

Fortunately our hobby is a broad church so you can do as you wish.

Martyn

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I like sound.  Firstly steam locos were noisy so having them making a bit of noise seems natural. It also seems natural to hear odd noises from a loco in steam but stationary. Those who are fans of disesals tell me they sound good too. Currently I favour the zimo decoders.  If you had half a dozen locos on a shed layout it would probably be a cacophony but a simple layout like Ewe I think it would add to it. 

Of course the wallet may have something to say about the cost. 

Don

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, mullie said:

DCC doesn't have to be complicated in my view. I dismissed sound fairly early on as I don't like generic sound (I don't search for generic music), most locos wouldn't have the correct sound files available and as someone who has worked with sound artists across the years,  the sound of the locos is just one part of a rich sound canvas, what about everything else?

DCC enables you to fine tune motors to get the best out of them, in my case that is some Comet chassis, Bullant bogies (with stay alive) and re gauged ready to run both diesel and steam. That for me is enough. 

Point and signal control is something I experimented with quite successfully and still have some accessory decoders, my latest layouts are very luddite, using wire in tube for point work.

Fortunately our hobby is a broad church so you can do as you wish.

Martyn

Morning all. 

Well put, Martyn. I think sound is great but I'm happy to run silent models for now. On the subject of DCC, I'm a novice so keep things very simple indeed.  I, on the advice of Gilbert ( Chris Hopper, who has been very helpful ) standardised on Zimo decoders. In my case, with lots of my locos taking 6 pin decoders, I use those they supply to Bachmann. They're excellent and give me running to the required F.S.S. ( Fussy Sheep Standard) as those who've seen EWE and the J70s at a show will have seen. 

However, now safe in the knowledge that Bachmann source their decoders  from the more accomplished manufacturers, I bought an 8 pin and a 21 pin Bachmann decoder last week. These decoders are supplied by ESU, hence the testing yesterday. 

My J15s are fitted with six pin decoders plumbed in using an 8 pin to 6 pin harness, again by Bachmann. One of these was swapped for the new 8 pin decoder. With no tweaking of the settings, it ran beautifully, matching the 6 pin installation and nothing else was needed. 

The displaced 6 pin decoder was then fitted to a Hattons SE&CR P Class. As expected,  excellent running. A spare 6 pin decoder was popped into a second P class, same result. A Dapol SE&CR Terrier had a Bachmann Next 18 decoder added and this again is a lovely runner. 

The 21 pin decoder is destined for a Bachmann SE&CR liveried C class which I'll pop in this afternoon and report back. 

The only issue is the size of the Bachmann/ESU 8 pin decoders and this prevented it's fitting to a Hornby H class. That said, I only had a cursory glance and I need to revisit this. It may well fit into the side tank. 

In summary then, the J15s still fitted with Bachmann/Zimo 6 pin decoders will have them replaced with Bachmann/ESU 8 pin decoders so that will be the motive power for the Mid Suffolk project sorted. 

The SE&CR project really only needs the P Class and the Terrier to run the intended services but a H and a C Class will both clearly be 'needed'........

Updates will follow. 

Rob. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Just wondering what the sound options might be?

F1 Sound on/off  (rate increases with impending rain)

F2 Loud exclamation- Drill battery’s gone flat

F3 Loud exclamation- Ouch my hoof

F4 Sheep squeal

F5 Baa

Just a thought if people count sheep jumping over a fence to fall asleep, would sheep counting fence panels fall asleep?

F6 delivers DCC track power jolt to user to keep them awake. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13