NHY 581

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Graham T said:

Just to lob a bit of a Spaniard in the works, I also struggled massively with three-links, until I switched to using magnetic links.  That has made them much easier to handle (but then I'm not making an exhibition of myself...)

Pray tell what are these magic magnetic couplings called and where can I get me some?

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Pray tell what are these magic magnetic couplings called and where can I get me some?

I use Smiths LP3 magnetic steel links.  Just use one as the last of your three links, the other two plain.  As a coupler/uncoupler I just use a slim steel rod taped to a cut-down bamboo skewer.  Cheap, cheerful, and Robert's your mother's brother 🙂

@Tortuga make sure you add some of the magnetic links to the others you have - you won't regret it.

PS  I think I have bought them from H&A and also Wizard

Edited by Graham T
more detail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Engergizer do a very useful LED pen torch - example here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Penlite-Torch-Alkaline-Batteries/dp/B071ZFMB4N/ref=asc_df_B071ZFMB4N/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256464514719&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10472808455226116802&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045318&hvtargid=pla-419884124342&th=1

I just attach the magnetic pole (brass rod of about 0.8mm or so, with the tiny magnet at the end) with a couple of small cable ties.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I use Smiths LP3 magnetic steel links.  Just use one as the last of your three links, the other two plain.  As a coupler/uncoupler I just use a slim steel rod taped to a cut-down bamboo skewer.  Cheap, cheerful, and Robert's your mother's brother 🙂

@Tortuga make sure you add some of the magnetic links to the others you have - you won't regret it.

Thanks Graham, I think that's is exactly what I've been looking for. Still eyeing up a 57xx from either Dapol or Minerva, haven't decided which yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graham T said:

Ah, see I got my pack from Wizard. It’s a set of LP4 ready assembled jobs - I guess I can remove the end link of each one and replace it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Ah, see I got my pack from Wizard. It’s a set of LP4 ready assembled jobs - I guess I can remove the end link of each one and replace it?

Yes of course.  I got the DIY options, they're easy enough to put together once you get the knack, and a bit cheaper if I remember rightly 🙂

On 31/08/2023 at 21:22, davknigh said:

Ah, but you can do the same with Dinghams. I had used Kadees on my North American stock but could not abide TLs. I tried 3 links but one show was enough to convince me it was too masochistic to be prototypical. I discovered Dinghams which are very unobtrusive once blackened and never looked back. Key point, Dinghams are located where couplers are supposed to be, the buffer beam.

Cheers,

DavidIMG_0293.jpeg.384d335ac9eb416f106dda20edb95ef3.jpeg

I tried Dinghams, but found that the variety of coupling hook heights on my stock was too great for them to work reliably. Steel three links and a magnet on a stick is what I’ve gone for. Prototypical, I’ve got the knack with them and O gauge is big enough to see. But then, it’s more home operation than shows.

In other news, love the weathering on the J70 sheds, superb.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

On 01/09/2023 at 14:53, Graham T said:

I use Smiths LP3 magnetic steel links.

On 01/09/2023 at 15:28, Gedward said:

Thanks Graham, I think that's is exactly what I've been looking for. Still eyeing up a 57xx from either Dapol or Minerva, haven't decided which yet.

Steady on there, Gedward, the Smiths links are 4mm scale. Sounds to me like you're looking at 7mm scale locos (which I thoroughly recommend!!).

57xx from Dapol or Minerva? Why not have one of each? 😉👍

20220324_183349.jpg.5cdb6ef5073ccd7ce1c5f92bf896242d.jpg

Which is which?

PS. There isn't a stray chimney on 4698's cab; it's in front of a lineside hut!!

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/09/2023 at 09:34, F-UnitMad said:

Steady on there, Gedward, the Smiths links are 4mm scale. Sounds to me like you're looking at 7mm scale locos (which I thoroughly recommend!!).

57xx from Dapol or Minerva? Why not have one of each? 😉👍

20220324_183349.jpg.5cdb6ef5073ccd7ce1c5f92bf896242d.jpg

Which is which?

PS. There isn't a stray chimney on 4698's cab; it's in front of a lineside hut!!

I must admit, I can't tell the difference here.

2 hours ago, Gedward said:

I must admit, I can't tell the difference here.

The main differences are that the Dapol Pannier has working inside motion (which is hard to see from most angles!), a deeper firebox under the frames, a removable cab roof and opening cab doors. But there isn't a lot in it & I'm happy with both of them.

Mine are done as 3675 & 4698, two of the last Panniers to work in the Forest of Dean, late 1965.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

It's official. It's too damn hot in the Room of Doom to do the intended weathering.........and if you think I'm using a fibre pen whilst naked....think again. 

I thank you. 

I thought sheep had there fleece shawn at this time of the year?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

The main differences are that the Dapol Pannier has working inside motion (which is hard to see from most angles!), a deeper firebox under the frames, a removable cab roof and opening cab doors. But there isn't a lot in it & I'm happy with both of them.

Mine are done as 3675 & 4698, two of the last Panniers to work in the Forest of Dean, late 1965.

Yeah, I agree - I have Dapol, Minerva 57xx (and a Lionheart 64) panniers, nothing to chose between them for running qualities, top class.  Might just give the Minerva the tip for detail, but really,  just got it because it has rivetty tanks and at that time Dapol didn't do that.  

20200413_115102.jpg.e0014d0f32ad314f515cdf00a61c13dd.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A great bit of film which really captures the essence of the W&U in it's latter years. 

Thanks for posting. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I thought sheep had there fleece shawn at this time of the year?

Our hosts cousins close to the Manor House had their short back and sides a couple of months back, and from what I saw this morning, their fleeces are thickening up ready for winter.  I can imagine that trying to get bits of fibre pen and debris out of his fleece would be an unwelcome challenge.

And whilst on the subject of the heat, I visited darkest deepest Wales earlier this week, and it was hot and dry.  All the tourist information suggests that it is always raining.  To whom do I complain about this.

Adrian

• Funny 11

22 hours ago, SR71 said:

Not had a chance to watch in full but this just popped up on YouTube and made me think of here;

A couple of things really stood out to me in that film - the paucity of road traffic (true of almost any pre-1970s filming it seems! - and also the length of the train. Though no fault of the Sheepmeister's layouts and others, I always had the impression that these lines were mostly about a small loco fussing about with a couple of wagons. Now admittedly that might have been the case sometimes, but clearly during the growing & harvest seasons these railways were very busy.

Lastly, there is no sense at all of the impending doom to come that to this day is summed up with just one name - "Beeching".... ☹️

• Like 6
  • Agree 1