NHY 581

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Just to let you know I'm keeping up longstanding traditions.

20230514_125540.jpg.47de36866618fbb9883aa2eb77f48acb.jpg 

Now, @Stubby47, that’s a very nice looking shop on the left (is this going to be/part of the Scale Model Scenery range?) Even more interesting (to me) is the line of buildings on the right… I‘ve taken note of the “scratch building aid” you designed for Justin and SMS - is this one and the same?

Apologies for hijacking Rob’s thread (again!)

Steve S

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Now, @Stubby47, that’s a very nice looking shop on the left (is this going to be/part of the Scale Model Scenery range?) Even more interesting (to me) is the line of buildings on the right… I‘ve taken note of the “scratch building aid” you designed for Justin and SMS - is this one and the same?

Apologies for hijacking Rob’s thread (again!)

Steve S

Hi Steve,

In answer to your points:

Yes, the shop on the left is a test build of the bigger (OO)  version of the N gauge one in the middle.

The row of buildings on the right is simply three kits (KX057, KX063 and KX084) joined together to make a station building for my Newham layout.

I've added an extra window in the KX057 Barn, and a rear door in the KX063 workshop.

As for 'scratch aid', SMS are now producing a range of un-wrapped kits , such as the ones above and the UW2001-OO warehouse.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Hi Steve,

In answer to your points:

Yes, the shop on the left is a test build of the bigger (OO)  version of the N gauge one in the middle.

The row of buildings on the right is simply three kits (KX057, KX063 and KX084) joined together to make a station building for my Newham layout.

I've added an extra window in the KX057 Barn, and a rear door in the KX063 workshop.

As for 'scratch aid', SMS are now producing a range of un-wrapped kits , such as the ones above and the UW2001-OO warehouse.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the middle, three storey, N-scale building in your photo will also be released in OO as a kit, as it looks like it would make a very believable customs house for a harbour scene. (I’ve actually purchased an mdf laser cut farmhouse kit with the idea of chopping it about to make something similar to your middle building, but shall now wait … just in case!)

Steve S

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the middle, three storey, N-scale building in your photo will also be released in OO as a kit.........

😉

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I was thinking it was some kind of rail mounted Odeon cinema....

I like it a lot.

Dyke railway sentinel railcar. It wasn't a success;

http://regencysociety-jamesgray.com/volume37/source/jg_37_130.html

As with everything that ran up there braking on the way back down seems to have been an Achilles heel. Really nice model @adrianmc

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Schooner said:

Oh, look!

Is that...?

Yes, yes I think it is!

It's...

a-view-of-the-docks-and-harbour-at-teign

...Teignmouth in the late '50s!

20.gif

Typical (Dutch?) coaster of the time.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all,

Well, as seems to be the norm recently, not much to report on the hands on, creating modelling front. 

However, I have acquired pretty much all the required PECO Bullhead track and points for the next build, whatever and when ever that may be. 

A week today, we will be taking a short break and it is with no small degree of disappointment I find myself properly incapacitated with lower back pain which has gathered momentum since the first hints of same last Thursday. Not had such a bad bout for a couple of years so it's timing is a tad inconvenient to say the least. In short, I can't bend, stand freely without grabbing something to support. Sitting is bloody uncomfortable and if I lie down it is a proper and painful struggle to right oneself. Add in the shooting pains down my right leg/groin and I'm currently properly jiggered. It stems from generally well stuffed and wonky vertebrae which if provoked can come into contact with the local nerves........

So I can't even sit and model let alone put my own socks on...........

But, I have also stumbled across a couple of Hattons Genesis six wheel coaches in L&NER pre war brown to complete the East Anglian Light Railway ensemble.....once the pesky L&NER branding is removed.....and.....additional 'E's sourced for the Eastern region renumbering

The additional trailer car for the Czech rail bus turned up out of the blue yesterday so it's not all bad. A lovely model and we now have a real Czech branchline passenger train. The trailers can also be loco hauled as well for a bit of variety. 

Swings and roundabouts then. 

Rob. 

I would have thought going on swings and roundabouts would make the back much worse but if you want to give it a try you never know. 

Sorry to hear your in pain Rob particularly as your off on a jaunt. Hope you recover in time to be able to enjoy it. Could it be pyschoschematic in that your feeling guilty about not doing any modelling and leaving your followers to have make it up.

Edited by Winslow Boy

I feel your pain Rob. Literally.

Having had various bits of my back rebuilt as a result of a miss-spent youth in the employ of the Queen I swear by yoga. I don't do it very well, or often enough, but it does mean that I can still get out in the hills with the hound and a (rather lighter) rucksack.

If nothing else, keep moving and bending (or trying to).

Gyp

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 minutes ago, Gypsy said:

I feel your pain Rob. Literally.

Having had various bits of my back rebuilt as a result of a miss-spent youth in the employ of the Queen I swear by yoga. I don't do it very well, or often enough, but it does mean that I can still get out in the hills with the hound and a (rather lighter) rucksack.

If nothing else, keep moving and bending (or trying to).

Gyp

Likewise, there's not much worse than being immobile.

Having landed in civvy street due to an injury to my left leg and then getting the right leg, arm, shoulder and neck rather battered thanks to someone else's stupid tribal and religious squabbles there's been times when I seize up and it causes back pain, even though there's no damage.

Yoga does work and you don't have to go mad either. The Memsahib's yoga teacher told me about the Alexander Technique:

https://alexandertechnique.com/at/

Once she had shown me how, I've found that it's not a matter of what you do, but how. It felt daft at first, but it really does work and I can still hike, cycle or scrabble around under motorcycles and rusty old vans.

Like Gypsy says, try to keep moving and I hope you are well soon enough to enjoy your holidays.

KBO

Rob.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I find myself properly incapacitated with lower back pain which has gathered momentum since the first hints of same last Thursday

I was somewhat ‘fortunate’ to break my leg nearly twenty years ago, it gave a multitude of damage from my youth the opportunity to heal while I was laid up for 8-10 weeks with my leg raised. All those niggling things that flared up and gave similar pains in my lower back, legs and knees, like having hot pins or wires in them, ceased. You only realise how tired you always were when they’re gone! 
One thing was heat damage to my knees from ten years of driving big 7 ¼ steam locos with my knees right against the firebox, used to cause a persistent ache that was enough to wreck sleep for a week at a time. 
Needless to say I didn’t return to regular driving. Hope you get well soon and I appreciate my solution is a little extreme but sometimes not feeling guilty about a few days full rest might be in order. It’s amazing how busy we are just getting the little things done that aggravate such things. Let your brain take the strain planning 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I suffered with a number of back injuries in my 30’s from doing stupid stuff while restoring old buildings. Took up yoga at 40 and have practised continuously since. I hit 50 next month and haven’t even had a twinge in the last decade (finding the nearest wood to touch!). I couldn’t recommend it enough mate. 
Hope you’re feeling better soon and keep moving!

Jay 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all, 

Many thanks for your thoughts on my still rather painful back problems. I've managed to get out and about with the Memsahib today. Standing or wandering about is definitely more comfortable than sitting but picking anything up etc is off limits for now so no tampering with trains in the R of D as of yet. 

Aside from the pain in my lower back, the shooting pains in one's right leg have, for the first time that I can recall, got down as far as the right shin/calf. Annoying to say the least. 

I've tried gentle stretching and rotating one's hips but was told to stop by the Memsahib. Doing this in the clothing section at Tescos is apparently not on. 

I have however been able to read a few train magazines. Currently thinking about low timber fronted platforms. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

From the symptoms you have an issue at the L4-L5 joint in your lumbar/sacral spine where the disc bulging and impinging on the sciatic nerve - hence the referred pain in the back of your your leg.

Non steriodal anti-inflamatories (and gentle heat) may help, but like I said, the key is to keep moving... its not much fun but you won't regret it in the longer term.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Gypsy said:

From the symptoms you have an issue at the L4-L5 joint in your lumbar/sacral spine where the disc bulging and impinging on the sciatic nerve - hence the referred pain in the back of your your leg.

Non steriodal anti-inflamatories (and gentle heat) may help, but like I said, the key is to keep moving... its not much fun but you won't regret it in the longer term.

You are, dear boy, spot on. According to a past MRI,L4 and L5 ( amongst others ) are jiggered. Others higher up are also in a state of disrepair including those in my neck which, apparently, are contributing to the ongoing issues in my hands.........

Movement works.......

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, JustinDean said:

Page 666 mate! 

Good call........think that's tucked away somewhere on red vinyl...

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Currently thinking about low timber fronted platforms. 

Quite right. Do share :)

Work-related trashed-back sufferer here too. Immobilised for three weeks in the winter, despite being allowed to play with big boy pain relief and anti-inflammatories, before I could get back into physio or stand for long enough to keep myself properly brushed, fed and watered (or sit for long enough to model!), proving just how important it is to keep moving while you can, so you can. Still, some heat and some useful drugs go a long way to keeping this option open :)

Wolfie makes a really good point with Alexander Technique, too. I was fortunate enough to have this rolled in with instrument lessons (thank you scholarship-endowment people!) and it has made a big difference to what, and how, I've been able to keep going with totally non-music things over the past couple of decades. So that's it from now on Rob, no time for the new layout, you'll be too busy...

yogi-woman-top-view-practicing-yoga-on-a

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1