NHY 581

I'm going to Expo EM this weekend partly to see Leysdown and Canada Street, there will be other excellent modelling and demos. It is always a good day out and worth the 230 mile round trip.

Wells.........................   Wells................... Wells next the Sea..................

Anything Colonel Stephens is always worth a shout. https://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

I believe Leysdown will be at ExpoEM in Bracknell this weekend, a superb model I've seen a few times, it's surprising how such sparse scenery can hold your attention for so long.

Hi Paul, 

Leysdown is a cracker. I chatted with Adrian last year at the WC&PR Portishead show where he had Leysdown and I had Ewe out for it's first show in front of the paying public. As a result of that meeting, I'm off to Uckfield in October again with Ewe.

Pretty certain it's scale length, hence it's rather spacious feel. Adrian has added DCC and sound. It's fab. 

The Portishead show was a great advert for Col. Stephens inspired layouts. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Schooner said:

Ever a stirrer, I've been holding back a flood of small harbour suggestions until El Sheepo settles on a new direction, but one can't mention a pre-Grouping Wells without posting this beauty

wells-the-quay.jpg?s=2048x2048&w=gi&k=20

'Wells - The Quay', 1895. From Round the Coast. [George Newnes Limited, London, 1895]Artist Unknown. (Photo by The Print Collector/Getty Images)

Frankly, one could put any building in that lineup and sell it! Here's the map for them's as like trackplans. I reckon there are at least three good mico's in that lot. Perhaps of particular interest might be the North East branch approach curve from overbridge, weighing machine loop, to quay and beyond. Any ancient building could stand on an equally ancient quay to act as the other viewblock, as per the Custom House quay further along the branch.

Having broken cover, I'll mention the other little harbour which I think has immense promise - it looks almost purpose-designed as a collection of interesting micros: Pentew[e]an Wiki and map/trackplan. Narrow gauge, but certainly doesn't have to be - I've got much of it to work just fine in 00. Loads of fascinating stuff, but one of these is the loading loop on a long raised trestle.

pentewan-harbour-cornwall-1914-13774200.

This, combined with portraying the harbour at low tide, would give a lot of vertical space to play with without any particular feature dominating. Plenty of pics on the wiki, but to entice those who've not come across the place before

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/y26-pentewan-east-alan-harris-collection-used-10th-february-2018_orig.jpg

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/p038-pentewan-copyright-robert-evans_1_orig.jpg

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/p038-pentewan-copyright-robert-evans_orig.jpg

FFS, course the best won't embed 🤣

Although a strict model could only claim use one carriage, there were some rather jolly passenger workings

pentewan-with-excursion-train-1915.jpg?s

but I'd suggest not taking it as a prototype to copy, but a collection of inspirational corners to get the juices flowing if a little maritime something something still appeals...

Well, Louis. I have say there's much to give thought to therein, you little tinker.........

Rob

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have everything for Lambsdown. There's a choice of potential station buildings,( various resin ) 

Ground frame ( not prototypical but choice of two resin jobs ) 

I have a water tower ( Bachmann Brick built job ) 

water crane ( SE&CR Mikes Models )

even a rather nice etched windmill ( if I can remember where it's stored...er Scalelink ).

Platform kits ( Peco Southern concrete )

and buffer stops ( SE&CR,  Mikes Models ). 

Even an rather dinky engine shed*...again not prototypical but yummy all the same

Choice of period as I can cover anything from 1910 to 1955. Issue here is  building colour scheme. I'm tempted by 1950s as I could do distressed Southern with wartime black and white striping to lamp posts etc...as per real Sheppey Light Railway. 

But......

I've also got a nice selection of SE&CR lined green and 1920s Southern stock......buildings not repainted due to interruption from WW1 etc, etc, etc.......

Rob.

* which reminds me, missing from yesterday's list.......I could also build a BLT in ex LB&SCR territory. 3x Terriers in stock plus LB&SCR station building and ground frame........it gets worse the more I remember I've forgotten. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I have everything for Lambsdown. There's a choice of potential station buildings,( various resin ) 

Ground frame ( not prototypical but choice of two resin jobs ) 

I have a water tower ( Bachmann Brick built job ) 

water crane ( SE&CR Mikes Models )

even a rather nice etched windmill ( if I can remember where it's stored...er Scalelink ).

Platform kits ( Peco Southern concrete )

and buffer stops ( SE&CR,  Mikes Models ). 

Even an rather dinky engine shed*...again not prototypical but yummy all the same

Choice of period as I can cover anything from 1910 to 1955. Issue here is  building colour scheme. I'm tempted by 1950s as I could do distressed Southern with wartime black and white striping to lamp posts etc...as per real Sheppey Light Railway. 

But......

I've also got a nice selection of SE&CR lined green and 1920s Southern stock......buildings not repainted due to interruption from WW1 etc, etc, etc.......

Rob.

* which reminds me, missing from yesterday's list.......I could also build a BLT in ex LB&SCR territory. 3x Terriers in stock plus LB&SCR station building and ground frame........it gets worse the more I remember I've forgotten. 

I think here lies your answer to the next project mate. 

Jay

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think that you have circled back around to where your interest and stock tell you that you need to be for this project.

It might also encourage me to build the ScaleLink wind pump I've had kicking around since somewhere around the Bay of Pigs awkwardness too....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think that you have circled back around to where your interest and stock tell you that you need to be for this project.

It might also encourage me to build the ScaleLink wind pump I've had kicking around since somewhere around the Bay of Pigs awkwardness too....

Morning Rob, 

Not wrong there my old egg banjo. 

Once I find said wind pump, I can sit and look at it for a while.......

Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Rob, 

Not wrong there my old egg banjo. 

Once I find said wind pump, I can sit and look at it for a while.......

Rob

I take it that would involve a comfy chair, a drink and ponder mode engagement or in my case standing at the bottom of garden staring at something wondering whether I could fit another plant in that spot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob, from your question on Wright Writes thread, is this the sort of thing that you mean or is the finish too rotten and distressed? I did it with 'any old brown' that I had and distressed them with white spirit and a cotton swab. with added green weathering powder to finish.

Used on CK's South Polden Light Railway

SPLR1.jpg.ab172f1b1973a71209f02aba8b352526.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

On 10/05/2023 at 17:55, NHY 581 said:

I'm aware of the geographical prototype of the various Pendon buildings from Bachmann but why be constrained by prototype? If this were the case then the Midland weighbridge wouldn't have made to EWE, the Great Central Goods shed wouldn't be on Bleat, next to the wooden parcels office from Shillingstone and the Pendon barn from Wanborough.......let alone the Dinorwic slate buildings on Sheep Dip or the Lynton and Barnstaple station building on Mutton.......... 

How good that Rule 1 proves its not what you do, it's the way that you do it that counts . 

Hope you resolve your quandary soon @NHY 581 Rob

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Of course it used to be the case that it was very difficult to get a licence for new Pubs. This resulted in some very strange situations where all the housing around a pub would be renewed but the old original pub was left in the middle just as it always had been. The Pendon building is based on a pub.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, adrianmc said:

And now for something completely different!

20230514_103148.jpg.a535c9e127f4a725883c953490f5089d.jpg

Ah ! If Flash Gordon had a railcar............

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I have had a rather bizarre desire to build a freelance pre grouping steam railcar, using a Hornby Peckett chassis for some time now.........

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, adrianmc said:

And now for something completely different!

20230514_103148.jpg.a535c9e127f4a725883c953490f5089d.jpg

Saw this layout at Expo EM yesterday, it is excellent, went back a few times to see the different stock used. What is the background to this model please?

(I was the one who spoke to you about the coaching stock used on the Portland Branch in Dorset if I've got the right person).

Martyn