NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. 

To clear up a few creeping misconceptions. 

The quayside layout was most definately not seen as East Anglian. Always Southern area in location, as per opening post on the subject. SE&CR/ L&SWR locos and stock would feature. This has pretty much been kicked into touch. 

The Laxfield Mid Suffolk images are another totally separate potential project. As I say, I have lots bouncing around. 

I'm aware of the geographical prototype of the various Pendon buildings from Bachmann but why be constrained by prototype? If this were the case then the Midland weighbridge wouldn't have made to EWE, the Great Central Goods shed wouldn't be on Bleat, next to the wooden parcels office from Shillingstone and the Pendon barn from Wanborough.......let alone the Dinorwic slate buildings on Sheep Dip or the Lynton and Barnstaple station building on Mutton..........     

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In the case of Upbech, that you have so kindly mentioned, the pub quickly became the focal point of the module and everything stemmed from that. The thatched cottage wasn't on the original plan and there was an additional building near the lock up that was built, placed on the layout, looked too crowded so was removed.

The Pendon pub could easily play a similar role, play around with everything else to get a setting/ combination of buildings with the pub that works, which you undoubtedly will.

You seem to be saying the quayside has been kicked in to touch? Before you do, why not look at lines around Southampton, Portsmouth, Poole, even Weymouth as these could fit your area?

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mullie said:

You want water, how about Outwell basin, Wells next the Sea harbour tramway?

Now, that is spooky to say the least … 

I’ve been putting together stock etc for a W&U inspired layout, and Outwell Basin is the location I’m most attracted to…

Meanwhile I’ve been collecting images of Wells Next The Sea and have even found a book on the ships that called at the harbour… and have been pondering the idea of amalgamating the two ideas…

So, @mullie, you’ve somehow either guessed at the contents of two of the “inspiration” folders on my computer hard drive, or have hacked me and are taunting me with your knowledge! 🤭🤣

HOURS OF FUN!!

• Funny 2

Wells has always fascinated me as the goods shed had to be accessed through the engine shed and it was effectively two separate stations not easily worked.

You can take the man out of East Anglia but you can't take East Anglia out of the man!

No spooking has been harmed in the creation of this post.

Martyn

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, mullie said:

You seem to be saying the quayside has been kicked in to touch? Before you do, why not look at lines around Southampton, Portsmouth, Poole, even Weymouth as these could fit your area?

Bude, complete with canal, struck me as a likely candidate for Rob's style of modelling. And does a quayside scene really need a boat to be convincing? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Reading through this and wondering how many of us are guilty of having W&U tramway photos on their hard drive also. 

Rob…I feel for you here mate because I think, like me, you see photos of places and want to model all of them, then also collect locos and stock for prospective projects.

So what are the requirements for this new layout?

Pre-grouping? SECR stock, which will inform the location? Quayside? Thatched cottage amongst more ‘modern’ structures? Weeds on track?

Something like that?

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Bude, complete with canal, struck me as a likely candidate for Rob's style of modelling. And does a quayside scene really need a boat to be convincing? 

Depending on how accurate you want to be, whilst the quay side at Bude did take ships, heading inland it was barges/lighters (63' x 14' 7") for a short distance, then tub boats (20' x 5' 6") for the remaining 30+ miles.  Closure from 1891 (tub boat section), 1960 for the barges.  So, one or two smaller craft could be included without overwhelming the scene.

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

Reading through this and wondering how many of us are guilty of having W&U tramway photos on their hard drive also. 

Rob…I feel for you here mate because I think, like me, you see photos of places and want to model all of them, then also collect locos and stock for prospective projects.

So what are the requirements for this new layout?

Pre-grouping? SECR stock, which will inform the location? Quayside? Thatched cottage amongst more ‘modern’ structures? Weeds on track?

Something like that?

Jay

Hi Jay. 

Pretty much. I'm lucky in that I have the stock for a number of projects sat on shelves, in boxes, in cupboards, in drawers, pockets, down drains..........and all have stemmed from sometimes just a single photo. 

I've never built a traditional branch line terminus. It's either goods only  ( 4 out of 5 layouts ) or a through station, Mutton. 

If I were to build a blt it could be......

1965-1968 Ex GER East Anglian ( Green Diesels ) 

1950s Ex GER East Anglian light railway.

1950s Ex S&DJR

1950s Ex-Midland Railway. Think Dursley. 

1950s Ex L&SWR

1950s Ex SE&CR 

1920s/30s Ex SE&CR 

1920s GWR

1910s SE&CR 

Now that I see that list, that's a bit concerning. No wonder I have no clue what to build and that doesn't include the goods only or industrial options..!!!!

Rob

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Jay. 

Pretty much. I'm lucky in that I have the stock for a number of projects sat on shelves, in boxes, in cupboards, in drawers, pockets, down drains..........and all have stemmed from sometimes just a single photo. 

I've never built a traditional branch line terminus. It's either goods only  ( 4 out of 5 layouts ) or a through station, Mutton. 

If I were to build a blt it could be......

1965-1968 Ex GER East Anglian ( Green Diesels ) 

1950s Ex GER East Anglian light railway.

1950s Ex S&DJR

1950s Ex-Midland Railway. Think Dursley. 

1950s Ex L&SWR

1950s Ex SE&CR 

1920s/30s Ex SE&CR 

1920s GWR

1910s SE&CR 

Now that I see that list, that's a bit concerning. No wonder I have no clue what to build and that doesn't include the goods only or industrial options..!!!!

Rob

That’s quite a list mate. 

Maybe figure out which you’re hankering after the most at this point in time. 

After your post I thought I would try and find a prototype that met the criteria of thatched cottage, canal/quayside and railway. I started off in Cornwall, at Looe East Quay:

0D6A1F4F-7D2F-4807-80C9-1B641AE6C1D1.jpeg.da9a464f4977a8a702f0f02f3289518e.jpeg

…travelled round most of the south of England and ended up not far from Dursley in Nailsworth. 

3E620E04-D99D-4FFC-8B43-736EF95C5C5D.jpeg.99a26d1bd3491374aa4bed6380b928cb.jpeg

194E8BB9-CB88-40BE-9752-0530DB9F40A2.jpeg.ff4208ec480bc6aa9ca402b9439eef0e.jpeg

210969AE-2B55-431A-8639-52C04B921C31.jpeg.35a0e9f93720237a766179a85519e8b9.jpeg

The goods yard can easily be split off as a separate layout especially with the station at the higher level and there’s a mill race running along side plus a nice mix of buildings. 

So basically I’ve found somewhere else I’d like to make a model of. 

Jay

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Ha! Nailsworth. 

Very intriguing. The saving grace being that I have no chance whatsoever of fitting that in hiven my current spacial constraints......phew ! Dodged that bullet. 

You are of course right. It is quite a list and demonstrates why you can be spoilt and have too much choice. 

A BLT does appeal and is probably the least amount of work compared to what was set up on the dining table a couple of days ago. 

Not having built one before, it's an itch that could do with scratching. I did come close, back in 2015...ish ? 

Rob

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Found it..........

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

Mmmm........with so many of you mentioning the thatched pub, I'm starting to question this myself. 

It's from Bachmann's Pendon range and is simply stunning but if it jars, it jars. Sadly though, for me, it's pivotal to the layout. I removed it when John mentioned it yesterday and frankly, the layout looked awful without it and wasn't the look and feel I want. 

More thought is perhaps needed. 

In the interim though, I have plenty more ideas to explore........

Rob. 

I don’t think it’s that unusual to find old rural dwellings next to more industrial buildings as towns expanded and encroached on rural areas 

This would have been more common in the earlier years of the last century 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Ha! Nailsworth. 

Very intriguing. The saving grace being that I have no chance whatsoever of fitting that in hiven my current spacial constraints......phew ! Dodged that bullet. 

You are of course right. It is quite a list and demonstrates why you can be spoilt and have too much choice. 

A BLT does appeal and is probably the least amount of work compared to what was set up on the dining table a couple of days ago. 

Not having built one before, it's an itch that could do with scratching. I did come close, back in 2015...ish ? 

Rob

Now Rob I think you do your self a serious disservice there by discounting Nailsworth. I think just as Jay has suggested splitting off the goods yard and quay would make an excellent layout for you to do. A few buildings, just a hint of the quay all depicted in the last days of steam beginnings of diesel. Yep definitely you.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Winners......

This is how the sheep approaches this. 

Nailsworth is lovely and the separate goods yard is doable. It would be easy to section that off and add a run round loop. Great plan.......BUT

Key to the look and feel is that mother beautiful goods shed. Look at the comparitive size of the 4F next to it. That shed is big..

3E620E04-D99D-4FFC-8B43-736EF95C5C5D.jpeg.99a26d1bd3491374aa4bed6380b928cb.jpeg.jpg.09087eaa9860bf32e26be338e6e7b68e.jpg

To compress that shed would be to lose the grandeur of the building. 

To illustrate this further, my normal layout  footprint is 120cm x 40cm x 30cm. Not a big box. Now, a rough estimate of that shed would be 25cm x 14cm x 10cm minimum. That's a big box. Length and width is not such an  issue but a structure that tall would totally over power the scene, no matter where you sited it. But, crucially it would draw in the sides of our layout box and make things look cramped. And we've not even looked at the mill behind. 

To avoid this, double the length of the scenic section to 240cm and increase the width to 60cm. Job done but I don't have the space to do that and to extract that size layout from the existing R of D, assuming two 120 x 60 cm boards,  would be carnage. 

No, Nailsworth needs space. To do that plan real justice it would need a minimum of 16ft. 12ft scenic and 4ft fiddle yard. Going below that could be done but you risk losing the essence of it all. Cracking layout but at those dimensions, not sheep friendly. 

Remember, there's a reason I build small layouts.......

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Winners......

Nailsworth is lovely and the separate goods yard is doable. It would be easy to section that off and add a run round loop. Great plan.......BUT

Key to the look and feel is that mother beautiful goods shed. Look at the comparitive size of the 4F next to it. That shed is big..

3E620E04-D99D-4FFC-8B43-736EF95C5C5D.jpeg.99a26d1bd3491374aa4bed6380b928cb.jpeg.jpg.09087eaa9860bf32e26be338e6e7b68e.jpg

To illustrate this further, my normal layout  footprint is 120cm x 40cm x 30cm. Not a big box. Now, a rough estimate of that shed would be 25cm x 14cm x 10cm minimum. That's a big box. Length and width is not such an  issue but a structure that tall would totally over power the scene, no matter where you sited it. But, crucially it would draw in the sides of our layout box and make things look cramped. And we've not even looked at the mill behind. 

To avoid this, double the length of the scenic section to 240cm and increase the width to 60cm. Job done but I don't have the space to do that and to extract that size layout from the existing R of D, assuming two 120 x 60 cm boards,  would be carnage. 

No, Nailsworth needs space. To do that plan real justice it would need a minimum of 16ft. 12ft scenic and 4ft fiddle yard. Going below that could be done but you risk losing the essence of it all. Cracking layout but at those dimensions, not sheep friendly. 

Rob. 

You could try TT-120...

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

You could try TT-120...

No.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

When i was very young, mum borrowed a friend's car and we went off for a few days at a sleepy harbour village. I recall being fascinated by the inset rails on or near the quayside. Rye Harbour.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Winners......

Rob. 

Small buildings essential then - another part of the criteria!

So if you’re thinking BLT have you already got any inspiration in mind Rob? I’m sure you posted up some photos of somewhere intriguing a short while back. 

Jay

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Jay, 

Lambsdown. 

20220608_150237-01.jpeg.a5628da86c1517185e31d64a04aea65f.jpeg

20220608_183008-01.jpeg.2ed66876a2a3f7bed3346112fd5c2bc7.jpeg

20220608_183039-04.jpeg.6cea4b7980d1faaf1d163bd1701962a3.jpeg

That’s the one!

So why not create your own interpretation of this?  You could probably squeeze that thatched cottage in somewhere convincingly. 

Jay

• Like 1

I think Leysdown demonstrates why mostly you do pick bucolic goods locations - the space.

This was not a big station, it did not have masses of goods facilities yet it was very long, I've seen the model at exhibitions a few times, it's a lovely model but so long.

And in reality most country stations are just that - quite long.

• Agree 1

Ever a stirrer, I've been holding back a flood of small harbour suggestions until El Sheepo settles on a new direction, but one can't mention a pre-Grouping Wells without posting this beauty

wells-the-quay.jpg?s=2048x2048&w=gi&k=20

'Wells - The Quay', 1895. From Round the Coast. [George Newnes Limited, London, 1895]Artist Unknown. (Photo by The Print Collector/Getty Images)

Frankly, one could put any building in that lineup and sell it! Here's the map for them's as like trackplans. I reckon there are at least three good mico's in that lot. Perhaps of particular interest might be the North East branch approach curve from overbridge, weighing machine loop, to quay and beyond. Any ancient building could stand on an equally ancient quay to act as the other viewblock, as per the Custom House quay further along the branch.

Having broken cover, I'll mention the other little harbour which I think has immense promise - it looks almost purpose-designed as a collection of interesting micros: Pentew[e]an Wiki and map/trackplan. Narrow gauge, but certainly doesn't have to be - I've got much of it to work just fine in 00. Loads of fascinating stuff, but one of these is the loading loop on a long raised trestle.

pentewan-harbour-cornwall-1914-13774200.

This, combined with portraying the harbour at low tide, would give a lot of vertical space to play with without any particular feature dominating. Plenty of pics on the wiki, but to entice those who've not come across the place before

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/y26-pentewan-east-alan-harris-collection-used-10th-february-2018_orig.jpg

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/p038-pentewan-copyright-robert-evans_1_orig.jpg

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/p038-pentewan-copyright-robert-evans_orig.jpg

FFS, course the best won't embed 🤣

Although a strict model could only claim use one carriage, there were some rather jolly passenger workings

pentewan-with-excursion-train-1915.jpg?s

but I'd suggest not taking it as a prototype to copy, but a collection of inspirational corners to get the juices flowing if a little maritime something something still appeals...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3