NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Oooops! Must have been someone else’s J70s I was thinking of!

However, when you do pluck up the courage, please do document what you do (warts and all) and show us mere mortals step by step (hoof by hoof) how you go about it - I have two of the blighters to sort out for my own planned little W&U inspired project! (Have I mentioned that I’ve devoured read a book and purchased various postcards/photos in readiness, or that I’ve got a 3D printed skirt to do a conversion job on one of the (embarrassingly) many* Bachmann 04s I now possess?

Steve S

* I cannot resist them on eBay** - if selling for silly low money I will enter a maximum bid I am willing to pay and then walk away and if I win, then I win. I just seem to have won quite a few times. Sometimes I’ve forgotten about bidding until the notification appears to pay up! (I stop - got a couple of Rapido coaches on order  to pay for when produced!!)

** Any RMWebber in need of funds just needs to put an 04 up on eBay … it’s like catnip to a cat for me!!

Nice. I'm waiting patiently for the Rapido 04 to emerge at some point. 

I have quite a few books on the W&U and can  pop a photo up later of the selection in case you've missed anything......

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

oooh.  I need a bigger-upper ray.

Hi Neil,

Yep, a 7mm version could be difficult to resist. Such a shame there was insufficient interest in the 7mm J70. It would have definitely tipped me into the 7mm ball pit. 

Rob. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Neil,

Yep, a 7mm version could be difficult to resist. Such a shame there was insufficient interest in the 7mm J70. It would have definitely tipped me into the 7mm ball pit. 

Rob. 

Yeah, early cab and ickle wheel version would separate me from some reserved-for-bike vouchers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Nice. I'm waiting patiently for the Rapido 04 to emerge at some point. 

Well, I have to admit I am looking forward to that, too, but the Bachmann model isn’t bad even if not up to current spec (their newer 03 is much more refined in all respects … yes, I succumbed! 🙄)

Which makes me wonder how many newer Bachmann 04s will flood onto eBay when Rapido launch their new model? Will that bring the price down (over supply) or will most sellers be trying to recuperate as much of the cost of their new model as possible (despite their older model maybe being several years old and well used!!)

An O gauge class 04 - yes please! (My dad would have loved one!)

Steve S 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oui, le bateaux mouche ne peux pas se pencher en dehors.

9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Absolument, mais Colin a une longue moustache qui peut se prendre dans sa braguette.

Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Well, I have to admit I am looking forward to that, too, but the Bachmann model isn’t bad even if not up to current spec (their newer 03 is much more refined in all respects … yes, I succumbed! 🙄)

Which makes me wonder how many newer Bachmann 04s will flood onto eBay when Rapido launch their new model? Will that bring the price down (over supply) or will most sellers be trying to recuperate as much of the cost of their new model as possible (despite their older model maybe being several years old and well used!!)

An O gauge class 04 - yes please! (My dad would have loved one!)

Steve S 

Hi Steve, 

The main drama with the Bachmann 04 is that of the plastic axles. Over time they deteriorate, even if not run ( i.e mint in box etc etc ) as the oil/grease attacks the ends causing them to loosen their grip on the stub axles/wheels. This then becomes a quartering issue, leading to, at best, lumpy running. 

Detail wise, they are of course of their time and yes, the later 03s are more refined. Your weakness for 04s is matched by mine for 03s...oh, and 08s. 

Ewe can therefore, hopefully, be operated with three distinct sets of motive power.

W&U with assorted J70s

East Anglian branch with J15s/plain green 03.

Mid to late 60s with 03s/08s and possibly Class 10, if I get my hoof out. 

So Rapido's 04 would fit right in there. 

However, Chris Hopper (Gilbert) did a cracking job on a 3D 04. See this linky thing. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Drewry-Final-2.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjGw8HEutj-AhXvR0EAHcwBC2kQFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2fZAEd04Az03oisq3SJAMx

Rob

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

The main drama with the Bachmann 04 is that of the plastic axles. Over time they deteriorate, even if not run ( i.e mint in box etc etc ) as the oil/grease attacks the ends causing them to loosen their grip on the stub axles/wheels. This then becomes a quartering issue, leading to, at best, lumpy running. 

That's fixable though - Peter's spares sell replacement axles:

https://www.petersspares.com/p/peters-spares-ps31-Bachmann-replacement-axle-set-03-04-shunter-and-j72-0-6-0

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Nick C said:

Hi Nick. 

Yes, of course but it's a bit of a faff. I did one axle at a time to avoid any quartering issues but didn't pop a drop of super glue on the replacement axles as recommended. Held fine without. 

They're also available from Lendons in Cardiff. 

Rib. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I note a rather unhelpful release by EFE in 7mm..........

• Friendly/supportive 5

Class 15 looks lovely, fortunately for me it's 3mm per foot too big for my 4mm layout

Elsewhere the releases are:

Too modern.

Too modern.

Too modern.

Too modern

Etc.

Etc.

Etc....

My wallet can breathe a sigh of relief and come out from under the refrigerator....

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Yes, the Class 15 looks rather nice. I have a couple of 4mm Heljan jobs which are essential for an East Anglian backwater. They are a rather snug fit on EWE but as mentioned before, I do harbour a long term desire to have a larger East Anglian dieselly BLT which they'd fit right into. 

I have no idea what I would do with a 7mm version.............but I'm grateful to EFE/Bachmann for giving me the opportunity to ponder the prospect. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

Yes, the Class 15 looks rather nice. I have a couple of 4mm Heljan jobs which are essential for an East Anglian backwater. They are a rather snug fit on EWE but as mentioned before, I do harbour a long term desire to have a larger East Anglian dieselly BLT which they'd fit right into. 

I have no idea what I would do with a 7mm version.............but I'm grateful to EFE/Bachmann for giving me the opportunity to ponder the prospect. 

Rob. 

I can guess what you'd do with one if someone announces a 7mm Buckjumper

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/05/2023 at 06:50, NHY 581 said:

They are a rather snug fit on EWE but as mentioned before, I do harbour a long term desire to have a larger East Anglian dieselly BLT which they'd fit right into. 

Did I just read the word “harbour” in one of Sheepbloke’s posts?? Is he finally going to let loose his watering talents on more than a mere trickle of a stream??

I, for one, am on tenterhooks, quivering with barely suppressed excitement!*

Steve S

* Or is that the prune yoghurt I had yesterday? 🤔😆

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Funny 7

The prune yoghurt should have detonated at approximately 07:15 this morning.

So it may be the barely suppressed excitement, though I wouldn't wander too far from the facilities, just in case....

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Did I just read the word “harbour” in one of Sheepbloke’s posts?? Is he finally going to let loose his watering talents on more than a mere trickle of a stream??

I, for one, am on tenterhooks, quivering with barely suppressed excitement!*

Steve S

Steady yourself, Steve. Highly unlikely I'm afraid at this current moment. A Harbour is far too grandiose a concept for me. 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I am however, genuinely intrigued by the prospect of a 7mm class 15. 

E84706.jpg.92cd08e76d6bbbac75c286213e8cbd55.jpg.70967bc16992d0baea96d1795a41c9a3.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I am however, genuinely intrigued by the prospect of a 7mm class 15. 

E84706.jpg.92cd08e76d6bbbac75c286213e8cbd55.jpg.70967bc16992d0baea96d1795a41c9a3.jpg

Careful mate, I don’t think IKEA stock shelves big enough for that fella!

Jay

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6