NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Well, back from the Bristol show. I've not been for a few years and I have to say it was a really good show. No crowds and very easy to move around. Lots of familiar faces amongst the "non-crowds" as well. 

Layouts were excellent, probably the highest overall standard that I have seen there. 

Good balance of traders with some quite ridiculous offers. Heljan L&B Manning Wardles proved difficult to resist but resist I did, despite being less than half RRP @ £99.99. Dapol Manors were bring sold by one trader at £100.00 each ! 

First time I've been able to see Copenhagen Fields properly and very impressive it was. 

Dewerstone was lovely as was Norwich Central. 

Overall, for a free ticket and a lift over it presented an outstanding way to spend a few hours. 

Rob. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, back from the Bristol show. I've not been for a few years and I have to say it was a really good show. No crowds and very easy to move around. Lots of familiar faces amongst the "non-crowds" as well. 

Layouts were excellent, probably the highest overall standard that I have seen there. 

Good balance of traders with some quite ridiculous offers. Heljan L&B Manning Wardles proved difficult to resist but resist I did, despite being less than half RRP @ £99.99. Dapol Manors were bring sold by one trader at £100.00 each ! 

First time I've been able to see Copenhagen Fields properly and very impressive it was. 

Dewerstone was lovely as was Norwich Central. 

Overall, for a free ticket and a lift over it presented an outstanding way to spend a few hours. 

Rob. 

Good to catch up Rob - glad you seem to have recovered from SWAGFEST

Chris

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Good to catch up Rob - glad you seem to have recovered from SWAGFEST

Chris

Yes, all good Chris. Sorry I didn't get back. We were on a bit of a tight schedule. 

Really enjoyed it. A very good show. I did come away with another J15 but otherwise, I was very brave. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Yes, all good Chris. Sorry I didn't get back. We were on a bit of a tight schedule. 

Really enjoyed it. A very good show. I did come away with another J15 but otherwise, I was very brave. 

Rob. 

You can never have too many J15s (BR or LNER if I my be so bold?)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

You can never have too many J15s (BR or LNER if I my be so bold?)

Um.....ahem.....I may be able to disprove that theory........

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Actually, it's not that bad. 

65475 and 65477, both Cambridge locos and will be left pretty much as bought aside from tarp rails to be added to the tender. However, I need to check if 477 had a tender cab at one point. If so, this will be added. 

65469. A celebrity loco with it's red coupling rods. Yummy. Tarp rail needed. 

65469 No.2. It's looking like this will be renumbered as 65447 as running in 1952 on the Mid Suffolk Light Railway.  Tender weatherboard and polished brass trim behind the smokebox. 

Target is to get at least two finished by the time Ewe appears at Railwells in August. 

Well, that's the plan.........

Rob. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Actually, it's not that bad. 

65475 and 65477, both Cambridge locos and will be left pretty much as bought aside from tarp rails to be added to the tender. However, I need to check if 477 had a tender cab at one point. If so, this will be added. 

65469. A celebrity loco with it's red coupling rods. Yummy. Tarp rail needed. 

65469 No.2. It's looking like this will be renumbered as 65447 as running in 1952 on the Mid Suffolk Light Railway.  Tender weatherboard and polished brass trim behind the smokebox. 

Target is to get at least two finished by the time Ewe appears at Railwells in August. 

Well, that's the plan.........

Rob. 

The "best laid schemes o' sheep and men"...or something like that..

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Names days are good aren't they! Basically a second birthday (in fact for some the names day is more important)

For those unaware, it's a custom in Catholic countries, celebrating the feast day of the saint for whom you are named. Mine is, as might be expected, in December. 

• Like 1

In the early 2000s I used to be head of music at St Martin's school in Brentwood, every year I had to lead the music for a service to celebrate St Martin's day, it was a major event in the school calendar involving the orchestra, choirs, soloists and the movement of around 1000 students to church.

Senior leaders at the school found it highly amusing!

Martyn

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The boss hails from Latvia, where names day is also a big thing.  Best not to forget when it comes around!

Morning Graham,

Correct. October 24th is the relevant not to forget day hereabouts...........

Rob

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

43 minutes ago, Graham T said:

18th of March is the one I need to remember 🙂

A previous girlfriend who was German / Slovenian thanks to the complications of World War Two, could have nailed me for presents on November 25, August 18 and January 28 in that order...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Inevitably, all this reminds me of a gag.  Not a very good one, but here you go...

How can you guarantee that you'll always remember a names day, anniversary, etc (other events are available)?

Just forget it once...

• Agree 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, mullie said:

In the early 2000s I used to be head of music at St Martin's school in Brentwood, every year I had to lead the music for a service to celebrate St Martin's day, it was a major event in the school calendar involving the orchestra, choirs, soloists and the movement of around 1000 students to church.

Senior leaders at the school found it highly amusing!

Martyn

Nice to discover another music teacher lurking in the depths of RMWeb! 

Steve S

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Nice to discover another music teacher lurking in the depths of RMWeb! 

Steve S

I was always peeved that our school would only let you take art OR music and not both.

57 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I was always peeved that our school would only let you take art OR music and not both.

I think that's was very progressive of your school Rob. They had obviously figured out that hearing your attempts at music should not be compounded by also seeing your attempts at art. There is only so much of the 'arts' that one can stand.

At my school our headteacher made both sexes take cooking, sewing, typing, art, music, wood work and metallurgy whether we liked it out not. I still can't stand Bakewell tart or art but aren't half good at woodwork, I also darn my socks and am a passable typist. So I suppose three out of seven isn't too bad.

29 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think that's was very progressive of your school Rob. They had obviously figured out that hearing your attempts at music should not be compounded by also seeing your attempts at art. There is only so much of the 'arts' that one can stand.

At my school our headteacher made both sexes take cooking, sewing, typing, art, music, wood work and metallurgy whether we liked it out not. I still can't stand Bakewell tart or art but aren't half good at woodwork, I also darn my socks and am a passable typist. So I suppose three out of seven isn't too bad.

Being able to cook, sew and make or repair things are basic survival skills that everyone should be taught and taught to a useful standard.

Ever since the seventies, the attitude has been that if you do a dirty job of some kind, you've somehow failed at life, you're either lazy or unambitious. 

So we have bred a couple of generations of morons who just want to get rich and famous as easily as possible and other morons worship them.

Typing is a bit before my time though! I had to teach myself to use a keyboard properly.

I was, until I got sick of the travel (amongst other things) about five years ago ISO 9606 coded for welding. I stick to tin bashing and various casting repairs on vintage motorcycles and cars these days.

I really enjoyed woodwork and metalwork at middle school, again you could only pick one craft subject, but I carried both on as a hobby.

I'm pretty much self taught in joinery, working to the 1904 Standard (an ancient technical book I found) and it has saved me a small fortune when renovating the houses I used to own, because I wanted to put back all the Victorian woodwork. Some of my Victorian woodwork is still doing service in the stations at Holt and Weybourne on the North Norfolk Railway, trouble is unless you're a whiz with modern materials and go shop fitting or similar, there's not much money in it for a lot of muck and effort

I was reasonably(?) good on piano and guitar, but that's never going to happen again thanks to a little mishap with something that went bang.

As for my artwork, people with enough money like it and galleries like it and especially the fact that people with enough money like it.

Proper Bakewell tart is neither one thing or the other to me and the iced version is too sugary, so I'm with you on that one!

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1