NHY 581

8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

G'wan, you know you want to - makes a nice change.

1207069050_BWmikehopper.JPG.7354752566a5e1591112bdaad858c058.JPG

Those little light shunting engines are all very well, but what about mainline traffic...?

Edited by Schooner
Joke's on me - taken 6hrs to realise it's a photo of a model. Bravo!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I think the main problem I have with American railways is simply that I cannot identify with them.....at all. 

Everything I model has struck some sort of chord with me, be it an appealing loco or stock, buildings, tracklayout, sometimes the scenic side of things...Something has lit that light bulb. It has never happened with American prototypes, even short lines. Joking aside, I'm more likely to  model a European branch line such as those in France, Germany or Czechoslovakia. 

It just takes one image, that's all.....and all too frequently, that's exactly what happens...

Rob

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Ewe will be assimilated…

64EB131B-7E44-4DB4-87BD-CBEEFFF4B4F4.jpeg.990341005d7616aba15861fbf059e4ec.jpeg

…resistance is futile!

That's what I'm talking about!

Did you find that online or have you too much time on your hands again?

• Funny 2

8 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I think the main problem I have with American railways is simply that I cannot identify with them.....at all. 

Everything I model has struck some sort of chord with me, be it an appealing loco or stock, buildings, tracklayout, sometimes the scenic side of things...Something has lit that light bulb. It has never happened with American prototypes, even short lines. Joking aside, I'm more likely to  model a European branch line such as those in France, Germany or Czechoslovakia. 

It just takes one image, that's all.....and all too frequently, that's exactly what happens...

Rob

I get that whilst I'm fascinated by the engineering, the terrain crossed and the folklore attached to the American railways I don't have the connection that I do with those of the UK.

Besides, when I started out with model railways, the price of American and European railway models simply ruled them out.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I modeled an American Shortline back in the 80's, then found the thought of missing a Bullied too much ... and saw the light - however at the time the way model railroads where built, painting of stock, scenery etc was streets ahead of this country ...

We've come a long way since those days

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Did you find that online

I do hope so … altogether too gruesome to think it might be in any way … real!

😳

PS

Last week was watching the newborn lambs frolicking in the fields, many of them with what looked like plastic bags on them. I assume these are some kind of cover to protect them when first born, but my immediate reaction was to think that farmers had somehow got them to be born pre-packed ready for “TESCO” or “SAINSBURY” 🤭

HOURS OF FUN!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

This. Although, every now and again I come across something which fires a neuron or two of curiosity to explore further, eg

V much the rule-proving exception though.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Schooner said:

This. Although, every now and again I come across something which fires a neuron or two of curiosity to explore further, eg

V much the rule-proving exception though.

Morning Louis, 

There are always exceptions.

Despite the subject matter, I really, really like this chap's modelling. American shortline modelled by an Australian. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cih_Mu-o5pR/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiYC70bLqWU/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

That's the kind of standard I'm hoping to get to

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 8

That is so atmospheric, exactly the type of thing that attracts me to US stuff, (alongside my W&U fascination). 

I think if you keep looking at stuff like that and find a 44 tonner loco at the right price, there's hope for N-ewe Sheepton in the future yet ;)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

That's the kind of standard I'm hoping to get to

To my eyes you're not far off Rob.

Your standard is what I'm hoping to get to. One day...  🙂

Keith

• Friendly/supportive 1

Lucky you! Those double-stack car wagons remind me of ill-advised track-hopping short-cuts home from the pub during a winter spent working one of the yards (ship-, not rail-) at the arse end of San Diego The dulcet tones of those late-night shunts were a particularly evocative lullaby...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/04/2023 at 20:13, Winslow Boy said:

Where are the sheep.

I saw a few in Oregon this morning, is that any good??

Not seen anything, that provides modelling inspiration, since I landed on the wrong side of the pond. Some outstanding scenery, though!!!

Life does indeed take over,  family always comes first.  We have had an  'interesting' few years, this year has been no different so far.  Positives and negatives as you say.  Keeps you on your toes, life is never dull. 

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

These last six months have been my longest holiday TBH. And although I'm loving my new rural surroundings and the long walks, a far cry from Beckton, East London.

I simply can't wait to finally get into my new railway / studio room and get back to working on Bovey Quay. But who knows when that will happen?

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to meeting many of you at my first SWAG in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1