NHY 581

I've just had a call from my friend to let me know that he will pick me up in about half an hour, as he thinks that he's found a decent battery for his 1972 Morris Marina.

What could possibly go wrong?

I should probably talk nicely to Miss R and borrow the half-track....

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've just had a call from my friend to let me know that he will pick me up in about half an hour, as he thinks that he's found a decent battery for his 1972 Morris Marina.

What could possibly go wrong?

I should probably talk nicely to Miss R and borrow the half-track....

In terms of a Morris Marina I can think of several things which might go wrong.  Something they inherited from the Morris Minor was the peculiar ability for a front wheel to collapse as part of the suspension was very unhappy if the car was turned at just the wrong speed on a very tight lock.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

43 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

In terms of a Morris Marina I can think of several things which might go wrong. 

My list of "things that went wrong" for a Morris Marina includes, broken rear leaf spring, starter motor, and petrol tank filler pipe cracking away from tank (repaired by brazing!). Ended up as MOT failure due to sill rot.

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, John Besley said:

She has a half track!.... US Army, German or 1920's Citroën 

None of the above, she has a Triumph Herald 1200, but it is often driven in the spirit of M3A / Kfz250 / Kegresse.

Driving defensively I believe is the polite term for it. 😎

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

In terms of a Morris Marina I can think of several things which might go wrong.  Something they inherited from the Morris Minor was the peculiar ability for a front wheel to collapse as part of the suspension was very unhappy if the car was turned at just the wrong speed on a very tight lock.

The lower trunnions could seize and shear, fortunately at low speeds, basically due to neglect of basic maintenance, that being a couple of squirts of grease twice a year. The real problem is that people who bought them as cheap bangers never looked underneath from one year to the next and particularly with the bodywork, never did any preventative maintenance.

That particular Marina, although it wouldn't win a beauty contest has been as far away as Poland, Slovenia, southern Italy, needing the points adjusting once on the way back from France, which is a five minute job at the side of the road.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Been there, done that, and quite suitable for applying to this thread.

It happened when said, nearside wheel, met a slightly sunken manhole, on the lefthand

bend of Chittening Bridge. (Over the Avonmouth - Filton line).

Apparently that unreliable piece of British Leylands product, was shared with the E type Jag.

Those were the days!

TONY

ps I too was in that traffic on the M5 yesterday, without the benefit of Taunton show to look

forward to. But if I'm a good boy, I might get to Torbay, plus Sth Devon, and maybe Peco.

(Must try to listen more carefully to dates, that are bandied around, by the Boss)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

My list of "things that went wrong" for a Morris Marina includes, broken rear leaf spring, starter motor, and petrol tank filler pipe cracking away from tank (repaired by brazing!). Ended up as MOT failure due to sill rot.

I drove one as a company car for a short period and it frightened the life out of me ,turning corners was interesting to say  the least.The front suspension was lively and I was very glad when I took delivery of a Cortina estate no more bouncing about as you tryed to keep in a straight line.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The Marina's door handles, were seemingly unbreakable and lived on in the considerably more upmarket Range Rover, as did the switchgear, that broke constantly.

Austin Rover improved things with Maestro switchgear, that caught fire instead...

The Cortina mk III, had it's own foibles, the rear suspension void bushes fell apart, leading to interesting handling , woe betide anyone who didn't clean out or replace the camshaft oil spray bar every service and the first thing you knew about rust was when you went over a hump back bridge and found that you couldn't get the rear doors open.

All things that were either avoidable or repairable, but £150 bought you another banger.

Anyway, going back to the reason for using the Marina today, we didn't see much that made us think "That's very Sheep". 

In fact the memsahib was surprised to see me back so soon.

So I was found a little job or two around the house....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It was lovely chatting to you today, Rob, and great to see Bleat in the flesh.  In fact, full marks to the organisers for an excellent show all round, and to the ladies in the coffee van outside for great coffee and generous portions of cake!  Roll on SWAG 2023!!

Jon T

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Rob,

Superb to finally meet and chat with you earlier today at Taunton Rail-ex. Bleat Wharf was looking wonderful and kept drawing me back. 

You've certainly given me some inspiration!

All the best and I hope you got back home safely and avoided any M5 hell?

Chris

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, wigancg said:

Rob,

Superb to finally meet and chat with you earlier today at Taunton Rail-ex. Bleat Wharf was looking wonderful and kept drawing me back. 

You've certainly given me some inspiration!

All the best and I hope you got back home safely and avoided any M5 hell?

Chris

Hi Chris, 

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Bleat Wharf. I have to say it behaved impeccably all weekend. The occasional issues were all down to the nut on the controller.

As for the return trip well, it was a great deal more straightforward..........some two hours less than the run down and no problems were experienced. 

Bleat is now unpacked and awaiting transfer to the Room of Doom. 

This then ends the exhibition commitments for 2022. There are a few pending bookings for 2023, which I'll post once confirmed..

Rob

• Like 13

10 hours ago, keefr2 said:

Rob, if, God forbid, anything should happen to render Sheep One unroadworthy, I have found the ideal replacement vehicle for you;

Sheep Screenshot 2022-10-23 11.28.07

😃

Keith

From 101 uses for a Citroen Ami, by Alexandre Dumas...

I think that the big fella looking straight at the camera has appeared on here many times before.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

If memory serves me wasn't the Citroen 2CV designed for the farmers of France. I seem to recall something about being able to drive it across a ploughed field without breaking eggs. It does I think sum up the differences doesn't it that we get the landrover and they have the 2CV.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

If memory serves me wasn't the Citroen 2CV designed for the farmers of France. I seem to recall something about being able to drive it across a ploughed field without breaking eggs. It does I think sum up the differences doesn't it that we get the landrover and they have the 2CV.

The Citroen 2CV - absolutely hopeless for making omelettes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10