NHY 581

• RMweb Premium

I'll add something I forget every year (most recently 3 weeks ago).

If you spray outside the best time is early in the morning. Before 9am it tends to be stillest and the air cooler. Lack of breeze helps the spray go where it's supposed to. Cooler air means spray doesn't partially dry on way to the piece. I didn't take a photo but what was supposed to be gloss ended up matt with a rough surface because I was spraying in the sun at 11am. Sanded and done at 8am last Sunday and it's got a lovely finish now. Evenings work too but tend to be more breezy.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SR71 said:

I'll add something I forget every year (most recently 3 weeks ago).

If you spray outside the best time is early in the morning. Before 9am it tends to be stillest and the air cooler. Lack of breeze helps the spray go where it's supposed to. Cooler air means spray doesn't partially dry on way to the piece. I didn't take a photo but what was supposed to be gloss ended up matt with a rough surface because I was spraying in the sun at 11am. Sanded and done at 8am last Sunday and it's got a lovely finish now. Evenings work too but tend to be more breezy.

Too early in the morning means high humidity more often than not around here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With apologies to @NHY 581 for taking over his thread humidity is not usually the issue but the dew point. For work we paint in very humid counties but procedures will stipulate that painting can proceed as long as there is a minimum 5 degree margin over the dew point. That's another reason I prefer the morning, as the day is getting warmer you are moving away from the dew point but in the evening you are getting closer to it.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

On 22/05/2022 at 09:27, NHY 581 said:

I have the lurghi. Snot everywhere. Close to death. 

On 23/05/2022 at 18:11, NHY 581 said:

I can confirm that I am again feeling ropey. One step forward, two steps back. On a positive, LFTs are negative. 

On 23/05/2022 at 18:13, Gilbert said:

I too am lurgified....not Covid but a very unpleasant cold and cough....normal illnesses have returned....

You gentlemen are not alone, a similar leurgy has also struck here at Kernow Towers and I have been under it's oppressive and dictatorial yoke since Tuesday morning. Slight improvements are followed by backward steps. Worst aspect is coughing oneself awake in the night, thus contributing to several carp nights sleep on the trot.

Daily LFT tests are all negative so far, but the curious tale of my brother-in-law and his wife keeps me taking the tests - they had Covid symptoms for almost a week before they started to test positive.

CTMK has, of course, stepped up to the plate and is keeping the life support functioning in her usual efficient and kindly manner.

One consolation is that I've been reading 'In Search of a Dream' (second edition) - https://rail-books.co.uk/products/in-search-of-a-dream-the-life-and-work-of-roye-england-second-edition-9781912038602, which I picked up from The Wild Swan Man Himself at Bracknell a couple of weeks ago. It is a truely lovely and inspiring work and something I can recommend to anyone.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

You gentlemen are not alone, a similar leurgy has also struck here at Kernow Towers and I have been under it's oppressive and dictatorial yoke since Tuesday morning. Slight improvements are followed by backward steps. Worst aspect is coughing oneself awake in the night, thus contributing to several carp nights sleep on the trot.

Daily LFT tests are all negative so far, but the curious tale of my brother-in-law and his wife keeps me taking the tests - they had Covid symptoms for almost a week before they started to test positive.

CTMK has, of course, stepped up to the plate and is keeping the life support functioning in her usual efficient and kindly manner.

One consolation is that I've been reading 'In Search of a Dream' (second edition) - https://rail-books.co.uk/products/in-search-of-a-dream-the-life-and-work-of-roye-england-second-edition-9781912038602, which I picked up from The Wild Swan Man Himself at Bracknell a couple of weeks ago. It is a truely lovely and inspiring work and something I can recommend to anyone.

Afternoon Tim.

I'm sorry to hear of your brush with the lurghi. It really is a bit troublesome. 

By way of encouragement, I seem to be emerging from it's clutches and the general air of  malaise appears to be starting to lift though not to the extent that I feel able to recommence any modelling..............just yet. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 13

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Exactly as happened to my daughter and family. Curious indeed...

Keith

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I didn't know there was a second edition. Any idea how different it is from the first (of which I have a copy)?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I didn't know there was a second edition. Any idea how different it is from the first (of which I have a copy)?

I don't have either edition ('though the second one is on my list to purchase when I next visit Simon's shop) but this detail from the Wild Swan website might help https://wildswanbooks.co.uk/Books/Pendon.htm 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, HillsideDepot said:

I don't have either edition ('though the second one is on my list to purchase when I next visit Simon's shop) but this detail from the Wild Swan website might help https://wildswanbooks.co.uk/Books/Pendon.htm 

Thanks Adrian. Enough difference for it to go on my birthday list!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

The lurghi continues to recede and I'm pretty much clear now. 

Chateau Sheep is bathed in sunshine and the temperature, whilst on the 'fresh' side is most agreeable. 

I hope therefore to be able to carry out some modellisimo al fresco. 

Rob. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

The lurghi continues to recede and I'm pretty much clear now. 

Chateau Sheep is bathed in sunshine and the temperature, whilst on the 'fresh' side is most agreeable. 

I hope therefore to be able to carry out some modellisimo al fresco. 

Rob. 

Still think you ought to have a dose of this just to keep you right. 

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/1106/17/large-antique-santovin-sheep-tonic-tin-advertising_1_6958eb904cd9ad6876b02c56c8efd7eb.jpg

large-antique-santovin-sheep-tonic-tin-advertising_1_6958eb904cd9ad6876b02c56c8efd7eb.jpg.621d1618651e44c4967b64117e9ded36.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Worders but when faced with the dribbling snots and general malaise one could do worse than a warm snort or two of this.......

1618177689_91gcqImK9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg.0bae8410274626f1762442fe6033d8ef.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Still think you ought to have a dose of this just to keep you right. 

large-antique-santovin-sheep-tonic-tin-advertising_1_6958eb904cd9ad6876b02c56c8efd7eb.jpg.621d1618651e44c4967b64117e9ded36.jpg

Reading on a phone, I missed the smaller writing, so just got "Health sheep it is". Which sounds vaguely Welsh in my mind.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Reading on a phone, I missed the smaller writing, so just got "Health sheep it is". Which sounds vaguely Welsh. 

Dai Yoda. 

yoda-56a8f97a3df78cf772a263b4-01.jpeg.e22b3c5a1792181cc02ceb5df124111f.jpeg

original image lucas film ltd. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Funny 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Not much to report at present. 

Ewe continues to entertain and probable works thereon will involve adding decoders to the two recently acquired J70 which along with a Model Rail Sentinel will allow an early 1950s look to the layout. 

Sheep Dip is being tinkered with but I have to say I'm being a bit lethargic about it all. Must get a wiggle on ahead of the Exeter show. 

Same with Bleat Wharf which is at Penarth the week after. 

If anybody is intending to pop along to these shows then it would be lovely to see you but be warned you could end up being asked to operate the layout whilst I eat cake or something similar. 

Rob. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Sheep Dip is being tinkered with but I have to say I'm being a bit lethargic about it all. Must get a wiggle on ahead of the Exeter show. 

Suppose it's that time of year, warming up and the wool getting heavy on your back, soon be time for shearing...🐏

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Suppose it's that time of year, warming up and the wool getting heavy on your back, soon be time for shearing...🐏

Regrettably, Worders, at my age, genetics have reduced the need to shear............

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Regrettably, Worders, at my age, genetics have reduced the need to shear............

the wool on you head seems to have mostly slipped down to your chin...

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

I thought it amusing when my brother in law stopped looking like a young Morrissey and more like Vincent Price.

Then I looked in the mirror a few days after my fiftieth and the same thing has begun to happen here...

I'd love to come down to Penarth, not just to admire the pier (again) or possibly chuck things off it.

But what happens if I'm wanting to eat bacon whilst you're eating cake? Do we model a rail strike?

Then there's the danger of Miss R wandering around and slipping bottles of shower gel into a certain type of visitors rucksacks....

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1