Tony Hill?

Fred1.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

I'm hoping to conjour up a bit of modelling time over the next couple of days. I've a few jobs to attend to but I've given the Memsahib advance warning of a desire to attend to a few things. 

She doesn't mind as all she seeks are a few matters of a domestic nature be attended to. 

With this in mind, a trip to the trainshop looks likely. I have a  'pressing need' to road test the trusty Triumph after some light works and will incorporate the 'trip to train shop' into this. I have a function to attend to on Monday afternoon and want to ensure the Triumph is at its best after recent shenanigans. 

I am going to said train shop with focus. There have recently been a few 'retail issues' when in said emporium, issues which I need to avoid on this occasion...............I am going there for one specific thing. 

Updates will follow, confirming if these 'issues' have been successfully avoided...........or not......

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Rob…is this THE train shop we spoke of a while back?

Jay

Morning Jay, 

It is and I will. 

R

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I am going to said train shop with focus. There have recently been a few 'retail issues' when in said emporium, issues which I need to avoid on this occasion...............I am going there for one specific thing. 

Updates will follow, confirming if these 'issues' have been successfully avoided...........or not......

Rob. 

Is this goung to be like the Aldi advert?

You go in for just bread, and come out with a canoe and no bread...

Mike

• Funny 9

4 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Is this goung to be like the Aldi advert?

You go in for just bread, and come out with a canoe and no bread...

Mike

I'd say that is a distinct possibility.

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'd say that is a distinct possibility.

Of course it could be like that chap in the 70/80's who liked the grill? So much he bought the company.

Could Sheepie bloke be moving into the commercial property market?

The whole landscape is looking suitably wet and windswept, top job.

If you haven't used the bike for a while, check that the muck we now have to use for petrol hasn't destroyed the seals in your fuel taps.

I had a bit of an interesting moment with that on Saturday. Just saying!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The whole landscape is looking suitably wet and windswept, top job.

If you haven't used the bike for a while, check that the muck we now have to use for petrol hasn't destroyed the seals in your fuel taps.

I had a bit of an interesting moment with that on Saturday. Just saying!

Morning Rob. 

Thanks. 

I think you're right re Triumph. It's certainly fuel related and my money's on the fuel tap. 

PM sent. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Rob. 

Thanks. 

I think you're right re Triumph. It's certainly fuel related and my money's on the fuel tap. 

PM sent. 

Rob. 

Well, I would send you a PM but it's proving  somewhat 'challenging' at present. 

In summary, 

I filled up once, on E10 and it's run poorly ever since and yes, it's been stood. Now it's in use, the problem has manifested itself.

I've drained the carbs and there are bits therein. They really need to come off and be cleaned and blown through. 

It's a proper job to remove the carbs and drain the tank. I've ordered a seal kit for thd petrol tap but fully expect to have the need for similar for the carbs. 

It runs rubbish once you give it the beans so a spot of restraint is called for. As a result, hopefully, it will behave later then I can sort it properly once I have the bits. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

I'd been busy rebuilding the greasy bits on the BSA Star Twin and have been carefully running it in. We went out on Saturday and on restarting it, I got the wrong kind of woof and it was on fire.

Luckily there were some folks in a camper next to where we were parked and they threw me an extinguisher.

No serious damage, just burnt plug leads, throttle, choke and clutch cables.

Although the hoses from the tank to the carbs are marine grade fuel hose, the two taps are modern repros with a sort of plastic insert for the seal. Not only had this gone mushy, bits of it had entered the carburetors and held the needles off the seats. As petrol was flowing constantly, the floats weren't rising and cutting off the tank supply. There was so much fuel in the inlet ports that when I started it, it spat back through the open carbs.

Hence wrong kind of WOOF.

A friend of mine has been having similar problems to you with a 1996 Triumph and a Kawasaki. Fuel tap rebuild and carb overhaul was necessary. So much fun getting the three carbs back on the Triumph. You need to engage all three inlet hoses and push them on as squarely as you can. 

The B33 and Speed Twin are both on 1940s low tech cork seal taps.

Naturally, not a hint of trouble.

Ahem, trains anyone?

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

You guys are in a different part of the country to me but we have 'Power' petrol stations scattered around that do E0 fuel still. Cheaper than premium and better economy than E10 even in a regular motor. Hopefully you can find a similar independent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Stewart.

It does. Went off down South after that. 

Rob. 

• Like 1