NHY 581

10 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm afraid that I will have to pass on those exhibitions, Rob.

Much as though I would love to see them first hand and of course speak to the creator of these masterpieces they are too far saurth for me.

So I will have to be content with viewing the pixelated versions.

If you do however venture further north I will be only to happy to trundle along and may even provide a bacon butty.

Sheep Lane and Mutton now reside in the North, twixt Tees and Tyne. Exhibition invites are always welcome, Sheep Lane is out at Jarrow, Bishop Middleham and Newcastle this year. Mutton will be out in September or October.

Mike

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

4 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Sheep Lane and Mutton now reside in the North, twixt Tees and Tyne. Exhibition invites are always welcome, Sheep Lane is out at Jarrow, Bishop Middleham and Newcastle this year. Mutton will be out in September or October.

Mike

Oh a trip over the Pennines. I don't know about that.

They don't 'alf speak funny over there. I might need a translator as it's sometime since I've had dealings with 'foreigners'

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, durham light infantry said:

Mike

Evening Mike, 

That's great news. Lovely to hear that both layouts continue to be exhibited. 

Thank you. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Oh a trip over the Pennines. I don't know about that.

They don't 'alf speak funny over there. I might need a translator as it's sometime since I've had dealings with 'foreigners'

Now that we are all emerging, blinking in the sunlight after the last 2 years. A chat with the right people face to face, could bring some appearances around the M62 corridor.

Failing that. There's this...

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

No further damage to the Sheepmiester himself to report ?

Morning Stubbers, 

No. All good thus far. That said, I am about to enter the garage and do a couple of jobs...........

16 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I take it that the Works Forecat has made a full recovery, from his earlier ailments, and is now back at work?

Morning Sibbers. 

Seemingly so. Agility is clearly back to normal. However, she is definately quieter in herself. I suspect the cause of the injury may have something to do with it all. She is staying closer to us and the indoors more than before. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 8

It seems I did a bit better than you with my Rails/Dapol Terriers.  

The first one went back as it could hardly move.  The replacement runs reasonably well despite a vertical kink in one coupling rod but has a bent footplate.

The next two ran alright but one has a bent footplate and the other had detached fittings and a crooked cab.

So I make that three out of four that run tolerably well but the quality of the body matches your description of the design of the internals.  Not so much 'pedigree' as what the pedigrees might leave behind.

I would like a GWR version but I am waiting for the Hornby one, even though it comes with some coaches.

At least the Hornby one has the correct height chimney, a cap that is not smaller than the barrel, coal rails that extend to the back of the bunker and a representation of the rather obvious drivers brake valve in the cab.

I appreciate your problems with the slow running and the Rails/Dapol ones are certainly better in this respect - when they work.

It's a pity we can't roll the two together and make one good one.

Rodney

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod, 

I'm inclined to agree. My view, which is simply that, is that the end result of both the Dapol and the Hornby Terriers is that neither are as good as intended or as they could have been. Perhaps this is a direct consequence of rushing development following each others repective announcements ? 

The  other thing that really does grate is the yellow cab interior. Why ?  The Kernow 02 suffered with this. Looks rubbish. 

That and the F.F.F.F effect. Nowhere near  as bad on the B4. 

However, I'm loathe to open them up again lest I disturb the running qualities. They seem to be somewhat sensitive little chaps. 

But it just might come to it........

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm inclined to agree. My view, which is simply that, is that the end result of both the Dapol and the Hornby Terriers is that neither are as good as intended or as they could have been. Perhaps this is a direct consequence of rushing development following each others repective announcements ?

Seconded.

At the risk of topic drift, the Dapol variant just edges it for me on looks - think it captures the 'character' better?  Not a very scientific conclusion, I know...

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, 

I can make no claim regarding these trees. I have been meaning to look into them for a while. 

They are from here.....

https://mbrmodel.eu/en/about-us/

Not cheap but the quality is worth it. 

They were first recommended some time ago by John Farmer ( Re 6/6) of the parish. 

More recently an exchange of messages with NickC who is also using them  convinced me to try them. Nick's advice was spot on. 

I ordered them on 9th Feb and they have arrived today. 

P&P was very reasonable and I've not been stung for anything extra by HMRC. 

Very straightforward to order and paid by bank transfer which again was quite straight forward. 

I shall certainly be returning to them. 

Recommended. 

Rob.  

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

I can make no claim regarding these trees. I have been meaning to look into them for a while. 

They are from here.....

https://mbrmodel.eu/en/about-us/

Not cheap but the quality is worth it. 

They were first recommended some time ago by John Farmer ( Re 6/6) of the parish. 

More recently an exchange of messages with NickC who is also using them  convinced me to try them. Nick's advice was spot on. 

I ordered them on 9th Feb and they have arrived today. 

P&P was very reasonable and I've not been stung for anything extra by HMRC. 

Very straightforward to order and paid by bank transfer which again was quite straight forward. 

I shall certainly be returning to them. 

Recommended. 

Rob.  

I’m also a big fan of those MBR trees - although a bit painful on the wallet they stand close scrutiny exceedingly well. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, JustinDean said:

I’m also a big fan of those MBR trees - although a bit painful on the wallet they stand close scrutiny exceedingly well. 

Hi Jay. 

Totally agree. I'm quite pushed for time with this layout, ridiculously so even by my standards. 

These trees are a bit of an epiphany. Expensive if you have need for a large number but for a few 'signature' trees they are well worth it in my opinion. 

As I say, definately going back to them. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Rob I know your happy with the trees and they do look splendid but can I recommend looking at Physicsman thread Gill Head. He has produced some really good specimens.

If his trees are as good as his walling they would  be worth a look.

Don

Yes they are. 

He's also re-doing his walling as he's found a 'better' - it was already superb, way of reproducing the look. 

Having just read Robs post about time though I can see why he's opted for buying in.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1