NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Well, that's Christmas (ish) done for another year.

Now sat quietly digesting a couple of suitable books accompanied by a glass of Talisker Storm.

Both were sourced by the Memsahib and I must say are living up to expectations.

Rob.

post-14122-0-29399800-1545776145_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-08895800-1545776170_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Now sat quietly digesting a couple of suitable books

The New Radnor book is a real gem, isn't it, Rob?

But if you want to know the real history of the New Radnor line and how it eventually did get extended towards the west, click here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122190-bethesda-sidings/page-1

• RMweb Gold

Oh and you're really going to need something that looks a bit like this, if you want to translate your interest into model form!

attachicon.gifHattons 14XX.jpg

Absolument, Mon Capitaine. Essential. If I could be sure of a Hattons/ DJM 58xx that would work then I would eat my words and order accordingly.........however....

I mean, what if Hornby announce an example to the same standards as their H class...........

You're right. The New Radnor branch booky thing is a corker.

The 'somewhere in Wales' cameoesque idea is still fermenting......brewing......I now have all the buildings......boards, track, wagons, one pannier.........

Then again is the unfinished matter that is Bleat Wharf......for which I have the boards, all the track, all the locos and wagons along with the buildings............in addition there is Lamb Regis ( terminus) for which I have half the boards, all the stock and most of the buildings..........

All are equally appealing....

And therein lies the problem.......

Do I start building a layout for which the principle motive power is likely to be unreliable and not capable of running as I would want, out of the box, or do I build the layout for which the motive power is known to run as I expect......

Decisions......

Rob.

Absolument, Mon Capitaine. Essential. If I could be sure of a Hattons/ DJM 58xx that would work then I would eat my words and order accordingly.........however....

I mean, what if Hornby announce an example to the same standards as their H class...........

You're right. The New Radnor branch booky thing is a corker.

The 'somewhere in Wales' cameoesque idea is still fermenting......brewing......I now have all the buildings......boards, track, wagons, one pannier.........

Then again is the unfinished matter that is Bleat Wharf......for which I have the boards, all the track, all the locos and wagons along with the buildings............in addition there is Lamb Regis ( terminus) for which I have half the boards, all the stock and most of the buildings..........

All are equally appealing....

And therein lies the problem.......

Do I start building a layout for which the principle motive power is likely to be unreliable and not capable of running as I would want, out of the box, or do I build the layout for which the motive power is known to run as I expect......

Decisions......

Rob.

Have a few beers, nod off and when you wake up do whatever comes into your thoughts first ?

B.Eer-o'clock

• RMweb Gold

Running right is paramount surely?

A layout that didn't work wouldn't satisfy, even if it looked wonderful (which it would if it was one of yours)

Perhaps you could do as I did - start a layout that really requires a 14XX or two, but which can get by on a diet of panniers and other viable GW motive power, until said 14XX(s) are available and reliable?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Running right is paramount surely?

A layout that didn't work wouldn't satisfy, even if it looked wonderful (which it would if it was one of yours)

Pressed 'agree' because there isn't an 'agree with a degree of absolutism that stems from the very bottom of my very soul' option.

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby model requires the addition of the ex Mainly Trains detailing pack to nod towards the detail of the DJHATTONS offering. The DJHATTONS offering needs a reliable gubbins. Therefore both have their issues.

I want neither example. I simply want a well detailed model of a 14xx that works.......

Perhaps you could do as I did - start a layout that really requires a 14XX or two, but which can get by on a diet of panniers and other viable GW motive power, until said 14XX(s) are available and reliable?

That may well be the way one goes.......A Dean goods does appeal.......

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully that's not the National Bank of Greece.......

Just checking the Peckett for size before opening up the end of the proposed engine shed.........to get a feel for it you understand......snug...but doable..ahem.

Rob

post-14122-0-35455700-1546159451_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-08980200-1546159726_thumb.jpg

• Like 19