NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Well yes but..........might stick with Panniers for now after my last adventure with the products of Dicky Jittery Mechanisms ..

A Bachmann 64xx I'm told is a nice runner a buddy of mine Mick sent his Hattons 14xx back and got one of them he said it was the best thing he had done

he even bought the Bachy auto coach to go with it.. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

One 28xx would be better

Oh dear, someone please explain.

Well yes but..........might stick with Panniers for now after my last adventure with the products of Dicky Jittery Mechanisms ..

What you need, perhaps, is some Perseverance, old chap.

• RMweb Gold

A Bachmann 64xx I'm told is a nice runner 

Not guaranteed, I fear, but I've managed to run my black one in nicely, so it's now ready to be converted to a 74XX.

Now that's an idea, Rob, a nice 74XX for all kinds of general purpose, branch line work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a Baccy 64xx and still have the mech, running under an ancient Mainline 57xx converted to 8750 with a K's cab from an even ancienter loco.  It is a very smooth and controllable mech, but not quite up to the very high standard of the 57xx/8750 and 56xx, which IMHO are not too far off what it is reasonable to expect from a mass produced item!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, someone please explain.

What you need, perhaps, is some Perseverance, old chap.

Not guaranteed, I fear, but I've managed to run my black one in nicely, so it's now ready to be converted to a 74XX.

Now that's an idea, Rob, a nice 74XX for all kinds of general purpose, branch line work.

I can see the sense in that CK. A 74XX would fit in nicely. A 64xx plus auto trailer is on the cards as is a further 57xx or 8750. A 16xx would be even better but we will have to wait for the RTR job from model rail.

The whole 14xx thing is still up in the air. I am not so inclined to spend on a model knowing that I am very likely to have to replace the chassis.......

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The whole 14xx thing is still up in the air. I am not so inclined to spend on a model knowing that I am very likely to have to replace the chassis.......

I can see the sense in that, of course.

I have now modified my expectations to make this easier.

Each time I order a Hattons/DJM 14XX now, I do so in the full expectation that I will have to replace the chassis.

Life thus has one less disappointment each time this is done.

• RMweb Gold

post-57-0-69329500-1544006325_thumb.jpg

You see, that looks a bit like the cab of a 74XX that young Cedrych Evans is looking out of.

The vista has the whiff of the Aberystwyth to Carmarthen line about it, or possibly one of its branches?

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2

Each time I order a Hattons/DJM 14XX now, I do so in the full expectation that I will have to replace the chassis.

Expectation is the devil of enjoyment and satisfaction.

Live life without expectation and every chance of disappointment is removed

• Like 1

I have several Bachmann 16ton minerals in the factory weathered finish,................................  They are excellent products if you ignore the complete lack of interior detail, not an issue with loaded wagons, 

Simple answer John, knock up a pair of simple simple jig(s) from some waste brass "like what I did"  one to scribe the (i) side drop door (ii) top flap and the other to (iii) scribe the top line of the end door.

To use, you put the jig inside against a side wall of the 16 tonner and butt the lower end against one end.

Then scribe the top flap door lines.

Move the jig along inside the wagon to butt against the other end, then use the lower end to scribe the top and one vertical drop side door line.

Flip the jig over and repeat, until all lines are scribed.

Brian R

post-1599-0-78866800-1544014919_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

As I model South Wales circa 1971 - the disappointment of a 'dodgy' Hattons 14xx was of no consequence.

Until the wonderful Bob Masterman came up with this gem !

D7083 towing the preserved GWS 1466 through Cardiff General during a Didcot - Onllwyn move in preparation for filming "Young Winston" during the summer of 1971.

I missed this move, but later found 1466 and the Toad inside the Canton wheel lathe shed on 27th June, 1971, apparently on the way back to Didcot.

Owning a Hymek, and a Toad, I'm not tempted (in the slightest) to buy a 14xx as well !

Brian R

post-1599-0-18670100-1544015583_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

As I model South Wales circa 1971 - the disappointment of a 'dodgy' Hattons 14xx was of no consequence.

Until the wonderful Bob Masterman came up with this gem !

D7083 towing the preserved GWS 1466 through Cardiff General during a Didcot - Onllwyn move in preparation for filming "Young Winston" during the summer of 1971.

I missed this move, but later found 1466 and the Toad inside the Canton wheel lathe shed on 27th June, 1971, apparently on the way back to Didcot.

Owning a Hymek, and a Toad, I'm not tempted (in the slightest) to buy a 14xx as well !

Brian R

The 14XX being towed - now that's something that you can replicate with the Hattons/DJM one.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The shadows (Cliff is apparently not present) suggest early afternoon, which may help identify the Peak hauled cross country express in platform 2.   This was during my time at Canton, and I remember 1466 and her toad at the shed; IIRC they were stored in the wheel lathe to keep them out of sight and discourage trespass rather than for work on the wheel profile.  

The loco had played the part of a South African loco attacked and derailed by the Boers on which Churchill was riding as a war correspondent.  The area around Craig Y Nos quarry was given the role of The Veldt.  It looked very unconvincing to me!

• RMweb Gold

Simple answer John, knock up a pair of simple simple jig(s) from some waste brass "like what I did"  one to scribe the (i) side drop door (ii) top flap and the other to (iii) scribe the top line of the end door.

To use, you put the jig inside against a side wall of the 16 tonner and butt the lower end against one end.

Then scribe the top flap door lines.

Move the jig along inside the wagon to butt against the other end, then use the lower end to scribe the top and one vertical drop side door line.

Flip the jig over and repeat, until all lines are scribed.

Brian R

Brilliant idea, Brian; you're not just a pretty face!  I had been thinking along similar lines but your sketch neatly coalesces it for me!  All of my steel 16 tonners are Baccy, so this should be a standard fit for all except the slope sider, which is loaded and doesn't need interior detail (I have a loaded and an empty rake so that I can have them passing each other at Cwmdimbath every early afternoon when the last trip of the morning turn, U21, passes the first of the afternoon job, U23).

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob, will you be voting for the DJM/Hattons 14xx in the BMRA non-rolling stock category ?

Yes.

• Like 1