Β 

Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Actually, Jordan, it can be cheaper - think how many N gauge freight cars would be required to equal the volume of one for 0 gauge...

Bigger scales cost a lot less for a given space...

Yes, in a roundabout way, that was sort of my point ;) ...

But I don't buy the "O scale costs less as you only need 1 loco & a few wagons" argument. Since when did how many locos a modeller "needs" ever rule over how many he "wants"?? :scratchhead: :jester: I'll guarantee my 7 O Scale Soo Line locos cost me a LOT more than my 7 N Scale ones did..!!! :O :yes:

Edited by F-UnitMad

Depends on the modeller. Right now, need (I.e. having a spare engine in case of breakdowns) exceeds desire (1).

I actually have the spare, but not the desired engine.

How many can you run at once?

Β 

Actually, individual cost of items is irrelevant. It's about spending money wisely to suit what you want to achieve - far better to have, in your case, 7 0 gauge engines than 50 (or whatever) in N.

Β 

I will typically consist 2-3 N-scale locos for a train, so 7 locos is only 3 trains ;)

Β 

Adrian

Freight cars is my weakness. I buy junk to use as weathering practise, but haven't yet been brave enough...

I suggest getting some earth tone pastel art chalk sticks.Β  Scrape some chalk off with a knife and brush onto a car/loco with a soft paintbrush.Β  Don't use any kind of fixer or topcoat.Β  If you don't like the looks of it, you can gently wash off the chalk dust and start again.Β  I've also weathered just one side of a car - if I prefer a "fresh out of the paintshop" look, I flip the car around to show the unweathered side.

How many can you run at once?

Β 

On "Schiller Point", almost all of them... :yes: ;)

Β 

I also weather just one side of a car or loco, or sometimes just to a different degree - 'mild' one side & 'rustbucket' the other - as the roof has to match both sides, more or less.

Wouldn't he have side facing spikes on his boots digging into the post, rather than his feet sticking out beyond?

Yes, unless he wants to be singing soprano for several days. Β Around here, they use wicked looking climbing spikes worn on the inside of their ankles unless there are spikes already driven into the pole (rare).

If you are going down that route, have one leg vertical and the other leg bent, so that he appears to be climbing up or down the pole - may be worth thinking about having the arms at different heights too - but now you are making work for yourselfΒ  :OΒ  For positioning infoΒ  search "pole climbing line man" inΒ Google orΒ BingΒ images and itΒ will provide good poses

Edited by shortliner

An old style tin helmet might be appropriate http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Full-Brim-Hard-Helmet-4-Point-Ratchet-Suspention-Hard-Hat-/111903631403

Β 

I found a shot of an electric company lineman which would give an idea of the gear

http://www.ect.coop/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Herman-C.-Potthast.jpg

Β 

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

Β 

It was great to see your layout and have a chat on Sunday. Not my normal modelling interest, but very impressed with your layout and as I mentioned, really like the snow effect!

At least you did manage to get a little time to come over to Bridport Town!

Β 

I've posted a few photos, but let me know if you want these in hi-res anytime and I'll email over to you.

Β 

post-7854-0-13697500-1456781443.jpg

Β 

post-7854-0-67571900-1456781444.jpg

Β 

post-7854-0-53948900-1456781445.jpg

Β 

post-7854-0-36511000-1456781446.jpg

Β 

post-7854-0-94676000-1456781446.jpg

Β 

• Like 6

It was nice to have met you. Wonderful photos and thank you for the kind words. If you are happy to send me hi res copies that would be great, I will pm you my email address.

Β 

Yes as it was winding down Sunday afternoon I was able to escape. Bridport Town is a very nice layout indeed!

TYS is coming along really, really nicely Rob. The snow effects are spot on, some of the best I've seen. I like the way that the layout is busy with vehicles, people, etc, but not TOO busy. Everything looks right. Very impressive. :)

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the snow covering modelled so well. We were watching contemplating if you could take it a step further and mount it in an old fridge on its side so the punters could feel the cold too ;)

You're up early Dan. Thank you mate, I was wondering if I had got the balance of detail and space right. Always a hard one to judge.

Β 

Thank you Paul. I'll keep the fridge idea up there with the working scale gritter ;)

• Like 1