Β 

Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Thank you everyone for your excellent replies. John, that is a very kind offer thank you. I shall PM you my address. I hadn't thought about MOW stock, but I do have a crane and tender on pre order from Athearn so that is an idea.

Β 

Thank you Adrian for taking the time to write that very in depth reply. What sort of motive power would be heading a commuter in the fifties?

What sort of motive power would be heading a commuter in the fifties?

PRR used K4s pacifics into the '50s http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1587840 as well as Baldwin passenger sharks http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1157751.

Β 

The ATSF seems to have gotten rid of most of its steam by your timeframe, so I'd expect that it could be any of the passenger roster http://www.thedieselshop.us/ATSF.HTML

Β 

They could also be used as rider cars on the end of a train of baggage and express cars (parcels train in UK terms).

Β 

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

I rather wish I had gone now Rob as the GETS was cr@p in all honesty! I've just seen your new website and it shows you'll be at the Solent show which is a stones throw from my house so I'll see you there I hope

lloyd

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Things have been ordered and are on their way. Namely, Blair Line manhole covers, Walthers electrical pole set, insta-fence panels, american trash cans and a International KB11 kit, both from Wiseman Models.

Oh and a Mini Metals Greyhound Scenicruiser

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Let's play...name that tractor unit!

Β 

(Disclaimer: there are no cash prizes for correctly guessing the model. Maybe a half eaten pepperami, and a few toffee bonbons)

Β 

Β 

20151210_190220_2.jpg

Β 

Weren't these tractor units used in the 1957 version of Ice Road Truckers? ;)

• Like 1

A fifties version of Ice Road Truckers? Now I'm having ideas.....

Β 

The correct answer is....an International KB11. Made from a Wiseman whitemetal kit.

Β 

Some more details have been added.

Β 

Noch bicycle and Faller surge drain

Β 

20151211_122548_1.jpg

Β 

Another surge drain and man hole cover. (These haven't been properly installed yet)

Β 

20151211_122608.jpg

Β 

Mini Metals Greyhound

Β 

20151211_122632.jpg

Β 

Noch ladder, Wiseman trash can and Noch dog (placement of dog subject to change)

Β 

20151211_122713_1.jpg

• Like 6

A bicycle? In a Chicago winter? That is one hardy employee. ;)

Β 

One detail you would likely see on anywhere that people would be walking (I'm thinking in particular of the access door with the steps up to it) would be bins/pails containing sandΒ or salt (grit). Ca.t have people slipping. It might be a big bin somewhere with an employee detailed to treat all the pedestrian areas, or it might be a small bin or covered pail in the angle of the handrails on the steps so that anyone using them could treat them.

Β 

Adrian

I think the bike belongs to the warehouse manager, the one with short sleeve shirt onΒ  ;)

Β 

That is a fantastic suggestion thank you. I'm guessing the grit bins are nothing like UK ones. Could a trash can been used for such a thing? My Google search wasn't very helpful...

I think the bike belongs to the warehouse manager, the one with short sleeve shirt onΒ  ;)

Β 

That is a fantastic suggestion thank you. I'm guessing the grit bins are nothing like UK ones. Could a trash can been used for such a thing? My Google search wasn't very helpful...

Β 

A central bin would likely have been locally fabricated from wood. I'd guess at 4' wide, 2' deep and maybe 3' high at the back and 2' high at the front, with a lid (or lids) that hinged at the back. A pail would also likely have been of wood (although metal is an option for sand). It wouldn't have been aΒ trash can as these tended to be made of galvanized steel and would rapidly rust through if used to hold salt or a salt/sand mix.

Β 

If you Google 'salt bins' you will find photos of modern plastic equivalents.

Β 

Adrian