Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Next I went to one of the local model shops and helped them with their cashflow:

https://www.branchline.com.au/

Great store, last time I was there. Only trouble is it's a long way (in the wrong direction) from most places OI.

By strange coincidence its directly opposite the former ICIA Merrindale research farm, managed back in my time by John Landy, later Governor of Victoria. Lots of good memories for me there, the projects, the team, and the occasional wise constructive words from the boss.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

King Tut

The only King Tut I know is the one that has a Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow.

(Not from personal experience, but daughter had a flat near there and advised that a summer evening sitting outside had just the right volume!)

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Another good run today, with mostly clear roads and bright sunshine again, which after the first hour or so wasn't in my eyes.

I turned off the Princes Highway to photograph this viaduct near Wairewa, on the former line from Bairnsdale to Orbost:

20241009_100558.jpg.5bb99dc19b24495320be5a5591f3ae69.jpg

Later, I stopped for lunch in a town where the remains of the station are part of a historical park. Do you know where?

20241009_135022.jpg.652025cf0cb355be9bc115663dc07e3f.jpg

Here's another clue (km I think, not miles):

20241009_140012.jpg.75c2ee66e88767dd25b9f8be366cfe32.jpg

I'll give the answer tomorrow.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I turned off the Princes Highway to photograph this viaduct near Wairewa, on the former line from Bairnsdale to Orbost:

20241009_100558.jpg.5bb99dc19b24495320be5a5591f3ae69.jpg

Seeing that partially-dismantled trestle reminds me that I have the wherewithal to build a plausible representation of Rio Grande Southern Bridge 45a at Ophir, Colorado, in 1:48 scale. The original, closed 1951, was 480-ish feet long (accounts vary, as they say!), and I cannot make it as long, or as deep/high at its mid-point. I currently have a section about 3 feet long, but have a lot more bents built. I just don't have a railway in which to place it! I do have a load of Bachmann On30 locos & stock, which is mainly caricature-ish, and a couple of Galloping Geese, which are closer to realistic, while, by contrast, the buildings are pretty authentic, built from Banta kits. Curved Bridge 45b is already built, but that was a more modest structure. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Genoa is about the right distance but no idea about a railway being there at any stage

Nope. I don't think there was ever a railway there and it's in the wrong state anyway.

23 hours ago, innocentman said:

Bombala?

Well done sir. The southernmost point on the NSW railway system, opened in 1921 and closed in 1986.

@BWsTrains Colin, I gather that there were once plans to extend the line to Orbost.

20241009_135451.jpg.7c48760d0998317adcf46b5370302391.jpg

If I have time in the morning, I might have a nose around Cooma station, which is (was?) the base for a small heritage operation.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

When I last visited the railway station at Cooma, there was an model Railway layout of the Cooma station in one of the rooms.

If someone is there or its open check it out if its still there.  I recall it was built by a local guy who donated it when he passed away.

Gippsland is a great place to visit.  Plenty to do and see. I used to hike trails and Kayak rivers there.  There's Walhalla Railway too.

I will have to check out Bombala station and yards next time I am that way visiting my sister in Wolumla.

There's a story about Henry Parkes promising the locals in Wolumla a railway and station if they voted for him. They built the Railway Hotel, but the railway never got there. Obviously Bombala was the end of the line.  Not sure if the Hotel is still called the Railway Hotel.  Just checked; it is. Well, Wolumla Railway Junction Hotel.

Mark

Edited by Markeg
information
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 06/10/2024 at 19:38, St Enodoc said:

@Sharky will no doubt be able to send/post more details once he's got his head back above water after the weekend.

Speaking of which, we were hosted this morning by the local AMRA branch at their clubhouse in Glen Iris. A number of layouts were operating upstairs, including half-a-dozen FREEMOO9 modules; a large 0 gauge test track by the G0G VIC branch; and a few others.

Thanks @St Enodoc, was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend but I'm certainly glad it's over. Was great to see many familiar faces and make new contacts as well.

@Keith Addenbrooke Thanks for the promo. FreemOO9 Australia had a great time at the Convention.
We gave our little presentation on the Saturday and had a small set up at the AMRA clubrooms on the Sunday.
Both of which were positively received by everyone we spoke to, and have even got a few people interested enough to join our movement!

pro-ZeqoUEb5.jpeg.47e0bca565323ea5a764bf2e193f3abd.jpeg

There's a seperate write up for FreemOO9's appearances which is linked here and in my signature :

FreemOO9 Australia

Edited by Sharky
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Two more items from the Peter Lawson collection have arrived - a couple of Siphon Js (Siphons J?), one representing diagram O31 and the other O40. Thanks Graham @LNER4479. They just need DGs fitting before going into service. We're not sure of the provenance of these - possibly Mallard kits? Any thoughts?

Still to come is a K38 passenger brake van.

As I mentioned before, it's great to be able to give these models a new home.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

a couple of Siphon Js (Siphons J?),

I certainly prefer the quaint ring of Siphons J.  Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I think I have seen reference in an official publication to “Siphons G” so I’m going with it.

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

I certainly prefer the quaint ring of Siphons J.  Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I think I have seen reference in an official publication to “Siphons G” so I’m going with it.

Paul.

Yes, I have the same feeling.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Glad you had a good trip down to Vic John. It was good to see you. 

Cheers Peter.

Yes, a great road trip and good to catch up with mates old and new (not that I'm saying you're old...).

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, a great road trip and good to catch up with mates old and new (not that I'm saying you're old...).

Of course not John, at a mere 56 I don't consider myself very old at all.😁

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

In a flurry of on-line activity yesterday evening, I became the owner of four Hornby Collett 57' non-corridor coaches, having (quite by chance) spotted the For Sale post by @Grafarman.

These will become donors for various sides, as a short cut to getting more passenger and non-passenger stock on the layout.

Thanks, David, for a quick and easy transaction!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/06/2024 at 15:29, St Enodoc said:

Here we have the final views, for a while, of 2182's chassis.

202406080012182chassiscompletebackleft.JPG.0cdea77c87a3a224f4d0e1fff46c0ce5.JPG

202406080032182chassiscompletefrontright.JPG.05c3dd10d4cef019cd0b91cbb2c26b0e.JPG

It will now go back into its box, where it's spent most of the last 40 years or so, until I'm minded to start the body.

Not so fast! Can you see what still needs to be done to the chassis (apart from the decoder)? It's so obvious, having come back to it after a few months while our house renovations were going on, that I'm not offering a (real or virtual) prize this time.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Annie said:

Missing brake rodding on the right hand side? (second picture).

Nope. That's there but hidden behind the coupling rod.

Something far more obvious - when you realise it...

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Has a pick up come adrift, behind the center wheel ????? I'm not very good at 'Spot the Difference'.

manna

Nope. Nothing to do with the electrics.

You're getting warmer with "wheel", though.

Edited by St Enodoc