Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Mike and thanks for all the reactions too.

I have to say that the last couple of days have gone very well, as you can see here.

204978781_20230102001PTtrackbedpainted.JPG.25dc13f127029540c85bac35c5ea1224.JPG

I bought some more grot grey paint this morning, which turned out to be a good move as I managed to use up the whole 250ml this afternoon. This was one of the other 49 shades, called Timeless Grey for some reason, and is a paler colour that will show up the track centre lines rather better than the previous Slate Grey Base.

2075904192_20230102002PTtrackbedpainted.JPG.d730b10cc76727cb8552b00eea57f09c.JPG

The trick is to slop the paint on, as the cork absorbs it quite quickly. I removed and replaced each pin in turn as I painted that area of the board. After the paint goes on it forms a tiny dint where the pin hole is, so there's no need to guess where the pin belongs.

1457780258_20230102003PTtrackbedpainted.JPG.b63582470a2cdd49269133daed5bc7a8.JPG

Before I started, I put some extra pins on the Platform 1 curve so that I can reproduce it easily.

1427584235_20230102004PTtrackbedpainted.JPG.53b7c46754694851f1ad1d567cdcf14e.JPG

I think I will indeed start tracklaying next, beginning with Platform 3, which of course only has one point to worry about.

When marking oneself, it is normal to find that your marks are lower that a tutor's would be. After all, these things are usually quite subjective, anyway, but that is the experience of college lecturers. What surprised me more was the consistency in lecturers' subjective assessments when blind marking (i.e. the second marker not knowing the first marker's conclusions). Therefore remember that you are always too hard on yourself.

Lloyd

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You'll have to build the buqqer first.

By the time the Shackleton is built Spaceport Cornwall might even be an operational reality so he'll have to also apply Rule 1 and build a Virgin (on the ridiculous?)  Boeing 747 and its associated satellite launching rockets.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

On 31/12/2022 at 11:55, queensquare said:

May 2023 see all us take great strides with our respective projects.

What's so special about May 2023? Hopefully we'll all be taking great strides in April and June as well .... Oh I see! (mis-read it the first time round 😆)

Progress looks pretty un-glacial to me, StE🤗

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

By the time the Shackleton is built Spaceport Cornwall might even be an operational reality so he'll have to also apply Rule 1 and build a Virgin (on the ridiculous?)  Boeing 747 and its associated satellite launching rockets.

That's given me a thought...

A 1:3000 scale (approx) BOAC Comet 4, stuck to the ceiling, as it climbs out over the Atlantic en route for Gander and Idlewild.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Just ypu be careful.  Thinking is not always a good idea!!

Baz

Don't worry - the whole thing would only be about 10mm long! It could get mistaken for a fly...

• Funny 9

Looking very good, John!  So, with Pentowan being sea-side, which way to the beach?  Is it behind the sidings, the buffers, or on the platform side?  Or is it a true peninsula, with water all around?

- Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 16Brunel said:

Looking very good, John!  So, with Pentowan being sea-side, which way to the beach?  Is it behind the sidings, the buffers, or on the platform side?  Or is it a true peninsula, with water all around?

- Scott

Thanks Scott. The beach will be on the platform side, following the curve round to Treloggan Junction and Indian Queens Halt. In effect, the Pentowan signalman, who will sit facing where the Pentowan sign is now, will be sitting in the middle of the sea. I hope to fit in quite a lot of scenic features, including the beach itself, a lifeboat station, a miniature railway and some pleasure gardens. That's all a long way off though!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

A working miniature railway?😇

1 hour ago, drduncan said:

Maybe a T scale HST?

😱

Duncan

Yes. I have a T gauge starter set but I'm toying with the idea of linear motor technology, which would take up less room. Watch this space.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 31/12/2022 at 21:31, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Phil. As others know, greenery is not my strong suit, which is why it tends to take a back seat. I think that buildings will be more likely and, perhaps, a backscene to frame the eventual vegetation. I might even do something about the secret scenic feature, which may or may not be green...

As one in the same boat - if I can move in that direction so can you eventually!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes. I have a T gauge starter set but I'm toying with the idea of linear motor technology, which would take up less room. Watch this space.

This is the work of my friend @martink:

which uses similar technology to this:

https://www.teenytrains.com/product-page/PS-100B

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks very clever, shame that the photos are missing, but the videos give a feel.

I’m not sure I’m ready for steam outline ‘singing’ like an AC drive unit!

Paul.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Looks very clever, shame that the photos are missing, but the videos give a feel.

I’m not sure I’m ready for steam outline ‘singing’ like an AC drive unit!

Paul.

We can imagine that it's singing like a kettle...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Is it ‘all or nothing’ at Pentowan, or are you tempted to lay e.g. platforms and then start a partial service?

Paul.

Paul, it will be all or nothing as far as the full sequence is concerned, because the thought of working out yet another interim sequence, track occupations, etc. etc. is too much! We will probably introduce some ad-hoc working, by using Pentowan as a glorified fiddle yard in the first instance. The Polperran line services are obvious examples, plus the branch freight and possibly some self-contained branch passenger services. I don't think we'll run any through services to and from Paddington until the Big Bang itself though.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3