Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As Father Christmas and Rudolf prepare at St Enodoc for their work tonight, Veronica and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from our home to yours, wherever you may be.

2004967496_20221224001MerryChristmasfromStEnodoc.JPG.884b17d0f92014654a170e10b89682ba.JPG

“and also with you.”  

Thanks for another year of sharing progress on this great project.  Here’s to 2023, Keith.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

I think you’re right about the straight - it looks odd to me.  A slight curve will look better, but might (will?) affect clearance points on P1/loco spur.  Are either of them tight?

Paul.

Thanks Paul.

Appearances are deceptive. Most of the tracks around there are at 60mm centres. There's just under 50mm centre to centre between the two straight bits of track so there shouldn't be any problems. The only possible parallel moves are to/from Platform 1 and between the goods yard and the Loop/carriages sidings. Only one of P1/loco spur/P2/P3 can see a train at a given time.

Next time I'm in the railway room I'll play around with the versine rule and see whether I can get a smooth curve in place of the straight while still maintaining the clearance. That will probably be to the accompaniment of the commentary from the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Monday.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2022 at 15:00, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah Robert there is more than one way to peel a potato (vegan friendly).

100_5851a.jpg.6b9111078cfd6e42f3e874fe03c8bccb.jpg

I lied about having a RSO, it is a TSO but I have now made a RSO and a RF diagram 16 to go with it. The RFs were only allocated to the WR and would have been in service during Sainty's modelling period.

1553520669_brRSO.jpg.8f54140569a7575b4c7e87a1c29b0da0.jpg

The RSO

1881683603_brRFcor.jpg.59d310d98dbb078aac6943c861b68e65.jpg

The RF corridor side.

1253011116_brRFkit.jpg.d309b4e57a02b814470bd7155edea098.jpg

The RF kitchen side.

361788487_brRFandRSO.jpg.15b96f2b01f43c8da4818206bea704d7.jpg

The pair together.

1325151397_brTSOandRSO.jpg.cbc3d15d4eaba5c12c1ca42d368fea12.jpg

The TSO and RSO together. The TSO is made from bits sent to me by Sainty and there could well be some bits from other conversions in the RF that started life with John.

Happy Xmas every one.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

A nice walk this morning to work off some of yesterday's excess calories, followed by the first session from the Melbourne Cricket Ground and the start of the Sydney-Hobart Race was a good introduction to this afternoon's work. I had a good play around with the alignment of the connections to both P1 and the loco spur and there are now, therefore, rather more lines on the board than there were before. A mixture of calculating radii using the versine formula and some trial and error with the templates has resulted in alignments that are a lot better, I think, than they were when I started.

I'll have another play tomorrow before I ink in too many extra lines...

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Today I went back to the original locations for the four points in the approach track and drew the inner radii as far as the locations where they are parallel to the baseboard edge. For each of the three platforms and the loco spur, I drew tangents a chord that intersected both tangents at the same angle. Finally, I drew in the centre line for a circular curve joining the tangent points. The resulted in even more lines on the baseboard than before.

898514652_20221227001PTapproachtracks-toomanylines.JPG.854ea57bd95abea4ec6e6c2fff1f2ee6.JPG

All this gave me enough information to calculate the radius of each curve and the versine, which will let me set out the curves on the baseboard (more lines!). I will probably adjust these a little more to make the track centres as consistent as possible before locking in the design.

@drduncan I didn't actually use the versine formula at all this time, relying instead on similar triangles and Pythagoras' Theorem!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Very good! I should have said versine formula rather than versine rule.

I wasn’t trying to be pedantic (this time admittedly…); so how does a versine formulae work and what can I or others do with it?

D

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, drduncan said:

I wasn’t trying to be pedantic (this time admittedly…); so how does a versine formulae work and what can I or others do with it?

D

My apologies for taking this off topic; but I’ve tried your  link to rtr conversions to EM without success . Can you check it’s correct , please ? Thank you kindly .

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, drduncan said:

D

In full-size railway engineering it's used to check deviations from the correct radius of a curve, so that it can be adjusted during maintenance. I've used it in the opposite way to help set out curves on models but that's more tricky because there are usually two unknowns - the radius and the versine or offset itself. Trial and error can give a good enough answer in the smaller scales.

If you want to know more, try this link:

https://pwayblog.com/2016/05/09/the-versine-formulae/

or hope that a friendly PWay engineer will drop in here...

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, 1466 said:

My apologies for taking this off topic; but I’ve tried your  link to rtr conversions to EM without success . Can you check it’s correct , please ? Thank you kindly .

You're right, this is well off topic. Private messages are better for this sort of query.

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

In full-size railway engineering it's used to check deviations from the correct radius of a curve, so that it can be adjusted during maintenance. I've used it in the opposite way to help set out curves on models but that's more tricky because there are usually two unknowns - the radius and the versine or offset itself. Trial and error can give a good enough answer in the smaller scales.

I think I’ll stick with Templot….

D

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Just to stick a probably unwelcome thought or suggestion into the mix when so much has been done already, I was wondering if there was any merit in having one curved point as trains arrive, then two more curved points, one on each route. The last point could be on one of the now 4 tracks. It might not help in any way but it might just shorten the throat and in my mind, it could improve the look a bit. The 4 curved points one after the other on the same line just looks a little long and ungainly to my eyes.

There are probably good reasons why it won't work but I thought I would mention it anyway. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Just to stick a probably unwelcome thought or suggestion into the mix when so much has been done already, I was wondering if there was any merit in having one curved point as trains arrive, then two more curved points, one on each route. The last point could be on one of the now 4 tracks. It might not help in any way but it might just shorten the throat and in my mind, it could improve the look a bit. The 4 curved points one after the other on the same line just looks a little long and ungainly to my eyes.

There are probably good reasons why it won't work but I thought I would mention it anyway. 

Thanks Tony, that's a very fair comment. An early version of the plan had exactly that configuration but I changed it to get more length on platforms 2 and 3. On summer Saturdays there was at least one 15-coach train from Newquay to Paddington, which following my 60% rule means that my representation will be 9 coaches (plus two 4-6-0s) long. The downside is the reduced length of plain track between Pentowan and Treloggan Junction. There's always a trade-off but operability has to take precedence!

• Like 10

On 27/12/2022 at 08:08, St Enodoc said:

Versines. That had me trying to remember my highway engineering curves, though it is only a few years since I was teaching it, obviously not very successfully! It brought back memories of the first time I was teaching it, a long time after having used it in practice. Rather than the versine itself, we tended to use the distance from the intersection point (of the two straights at either end of the curve) to the mid-point of the curve. The formula for this used the trig form of a Secant (the reciprocal of a Cosine), which was usually abbreviated to Sec. Having difficulty remembering what a Secant was, I guessed which it was a reciprocal of wrongly getting an obviously wrong answer, and found myself asking the class if anyone had secs on their calculators!

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1