Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

It’s a hard life: accused of being a civil engineer and (earlier) a signal engineer when all you want to be is a grease monkey!

Just think of yourself as a Railway Engineer.

Paul.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
On 21/11/2021 at 06:20, St Enodoc said:

One of those was to update the draft layout plan with the revised Pentowan layout that I've been working on. I've squeezed in 10 carriage sidings, which will give me space to stable at least 50 carriages. I say "at least" because I was very conservative in my calculations, leaving plenty of room (I think) to the fouling points and using a value of 280mm per coach, even though I know that only a few will be 70 footers. I also left a full 100mm between the ends of the sidings and the baseboard edge, although the final value could be about half that. Of course, I rounded the number of carriages down in each case too. I'm now confident that I can proceed with the plan as drafted, although there might be some minor changes when I set it all out at full size and do a dry run with the actual carriage sets.

903654252_20211121001draftlayoutplan.thumb.JPG.f5306d19b6dbc0009f66a73d00c65069.JPG

Here it is, with the three passenger platforms at the top, then the loop on platform 1 (I've reversed the numbering from the real Newquay, to maintain my convention of numbering all tracks from the rear to the front as the operators see them) and the 10 sidings below them. It will be a while until all this gets built, although the L-girders could go up sooner rather than later.

This do?

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John Besley said:

Interesting views of the room puts it into perspective, is there a track plan- or a planed plan...

28 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

This do?

Paul.

Thanks Paul for stepping in while I was having my dinner!

John, Paul has posted the latest version of the draft plan. Everything is built and operational except for the terminus, Pentowan, which is what the new baseboard frames are for.

To give the plan some context, here is the block plan and the map of the "real" Mid-Cornwall.

1298138364_20150119001blockplandraft4namessmall.jpg.3251fb45b775c468f97321150c5ea264.jpg

745736117_20150119003mid-cornwalllinesmapcolourdraft3.jpg.f6406a11f0688b49c78126e63bb6677f.jpg

Hope that helps.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

It’s a hard life: accused of being a civil engineer and (earlier) a signal engineer when all you want to be is a grease monkey!

Just think of yourself as a Railway Engineer.

Paul.

Paul, that's exactly how I describe myself. Here in Australia, there is a single Institution of Engineers Australia, which covers all disciplines. It also covers different fields of practice through its Technical Societies, such as the Railway Technical Society of Australasia, which covers New Zealand too.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Paul for stepping in while I was having my dinner!

John, Paul has posted the latest version of the draft plan. Everything is built and operational except for the terminus, Pentowan, which is what the new baseboard frames are for.

To give the plan some context, here is the block plan and the map of the "real" Mid-Cornwall.

1298138364_20150119001blockplandraft4namessmall.jpg.3251fb45b775c468f97321150c5ea264.jpg

745736117_20150119003mid-cornwalllinesmapcolourdraft3.jpg.f6406a11f0688b49c78126e63bb6677f.jpg

Hope that helps.

I had always assumed from your track layout that StEnodoc is based on Bugle, your Porthmellyn Road represents Par, and Wheal Veronica is Carbis Wharf...  so your model was based on the ‘other’ line to Newquay.

I am also intrigued that Tregissey (Pentewan) has been highlighted on your map.  Are you going to add this branch to your layout?  The small and picturesque harbour at Pentewan has terrific modelling potential...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Chamby said:

I had always assumed from your track layout that StEnodoc is based on Bugle, your Porthmellyn Road represents Par, and Wheal Veronica is Carbis Wharf...  so your model was based on the ‘other’ line to Newquay.

I am also intrigued that Tregissey (Pentewan) has been highlighted on your map.  Are you going to add this branch to your layout?  The small and picturesque harbour at Pentewan has terrific modelling potential...

That's exactly right, Phil. All the locations on the layout are "based on" or "inspired by" the real places you mention but none is a direct replica, for various reasons including space of course. The main reason for moving Porthmellyn Road further west was to avoid having to represent the yards and engine shed at St Blazey.

The Tregissey branch is off-stage and is the destination for the long china-clay train and the railbus. I'd like to have modelled it but just couldn't find a way to fit it in. I do have a Dutch coaster kit on standby though, in case I build a small additional layout one day.

Operationally, the layout follows a sequence derived from the actual summer Friday and Saturday workings in the 1950s.

There's more on the back story starting on page 2:

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 24/11/2022 at 22:36, St Enodoc said:

Here's one of the two lamp-fitted buffer stops for Porthmellyn Road.

1021876298_20221125001LMSGWRstandardbufferstopwithRatio466lamp.JPG.f34e81de444dc37d4993dcd22ab7d06b.JPG

Referring back a page or so, just an interested query/observation.

The beam on the buffer stop appears to be whitemetal so does this transmit electricity across both rails?

I note, from the installation photos, that the bufferstop is electrically separated from the siding so there should not be any shorts in theory.

However, if you park a wagon with its wheels exactly on the rail joint it seems likely that a short will occur, providing the points are set into the siding.

I only raise this point because I sometimes have this problem on my own layout (the AFK).

There are not too many buffer stops on the main station's design but many of the sidings are split into different electrical circuits.

This was unavoidable due to the baseboard configuration.

I often have the problem that a correctly functioning station suddenly "locks up" with a mystery short.

This occurs where the adjacent baseboard has a circuit switched by a point crossing set against the siding concernecd.

Experience has taught me to shove the wagons alongside the goods shed forward or backwards slightly and I am "live" again.

I just wondered whether a similar phenomenon might happen in your sidings.

Ian T

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Just writing our Xmas cards, and most of them have snow scenes. 

A random question occurred to me - do Australian Xmas cards have beach scenes on ?

Some do but usually those to be sent "across the miles".

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

The beam on the buffer stop appears to be whitemetal so does this transmit electricity across both rails?

I note, from the installation photos, that the bufferstop is electrically separated from the siding so there should not be any shorts in theory.

However, if you park a wagon with its wheels exactly on the rail joint it seems likely that a short will occur, providing the points are set into the siding.

I only raise this point because I sometimes have this problem on my own layout (the AFK).

There are not too many buffer stops on the main station's design but many of the sidings are split into different electrical circuits.

This was unavoidable due to the baseboard configuration.

I often have the problem that a correctly functioning station suddenly "locks up" with a mystery short.

This occurs where the adjacent baseboard has a circuit switched by a point crossing set against the siding concernecd.

Experience has taught me to shove the wagons alongside the goods shed forward or backwards slightly and I am "live" again.

I just wondered whether a similar phenomenon might happen in your sidings.

Ian T

In theory you are right, Ian, but the chance of that happening is small, I think, further mitigated by the brown paint layer on the whitemetal.  I'll take the chance!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

In theory you are right, Ian, but the chance of that happening is small, I think, further mitigated by the brown paint layer on the whitemetal.  I'll take the chance!

Would that I had recourse to that solution!

Ian T

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2022 at 12:20, St Enodoc said:

If it can happen it will happen......

Wentworth Junction and Herculaneum have occasional shorts caused by wagon wheels in gaps.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Wentworth Junction and Herculaneum have occasional shorts caused by wagon wheels in gaps.

Thanks Mike. I'll triple check...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2022 at 12:20, St Enodoc said:

44 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

To which a suitable solution is a double block joint - a second gap in one rail close enough to keep engines on the blocks live while still being supported.

Not original thinking, it’s just how we S&T types keep nasty big traction Amps away from our sensitive small amps when a train passes over the insulated joints.

Paul.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

To which a suitable solution is a double block joint - a second gap in one rail close enough to keep engines on the blocks live while still being supported.

Not original thinking, it’s just how we S&T types keep nasty big traction Amps away from our sensitive small amps when a train passes over the insulated joints.

Paul.

Having dealt with various S&T members, well one in particular, during my working days....!

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what cam into my head at about 0400 this morning!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Rather than an extra gap, offsetting the two gaps would work, wouldn't it?

Yes, I can't see why not.  The only chance of a short is if both wheels bridge the gaps between their live rail and the stop-block rails.  Off setting the gaps, even by only a few mm, should prevent this.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Or cutting vertically through the buffer beam and glueing together with araldite.  I suspect you don’t want to go there!

Paul.

The other option is to glue the buffer beam on with enough glue to provide an electrical insulation from the rail supports, but this is perhaps a tad more difficult in practice. Would also need to be done with the stay, too.

PECO SL-340 anyone ?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2022 at 11:55, ianathompson said:

When I built some LMS whitemetal buffers, I superglued the cross beam on, but placed a couple of layers of tissue paper between the upright and the beam.  Once it was dry, I tested it with a multimeter, and the paper/glue construction had worked as an insulator.

Adrian

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I have used LMS buffers, and simply cut the moulded white metal rails as short as possible... so the break becomes close enough to the buffers that wheels don’t reach the joint.  

Using C&L insulated rail joiners between the running rails and buffer stop ensures that the bufferstop itself doesn’t cause a short: the joiners are themselves very discreet.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2