Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The best reference is the image of the class 47 and train at Treverrin

I've now printed this at A4 and, taking into account that the tunnel face isn't quite square on to the photographer, I've measured the radius of the portal and the height of the vertical walls. I get a radius of 21mm and a wall height of 19mm above rail level (arl) so a total height of 40mm arl.

Now, the width of the model portal comes from the 45mm track centres and the Blue Book minimum clearance from the centre lines to the wall of 29mm, so a total of 103mm diameter or 51.5mm radius.

Scaling, the model radius is 2.45 x the photo radius. Applying this ratio to the total height gives a model total height arl of 98mm and hence a wall height arl of 98 - 51.5 = 46.5mm.

The actual values on the model at the moment are total height arl 93.5mm and wall height arl 42mm.

Given the inherent inaccuracies of these calculations, and that the exercise was to reduce rather than increase the wall height, I think I'll stick with what I have now.

A useful exercise, nevertheless, and thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2024 at 17:50, St Enodoc said:

You got it! Shouldn't be too hard to fix and might be a nice easy lead-in to further progress with the body.

The balance weights on the 2021 class are quite distinctive and I haven't got an etched set, so I used the whitemetal ones from the kit, which are a bit chunky. Nevertheless, after thinning them down as far as I dared with a file they fitted quite well, so I attached them with epoxy.

202410220012182balanceweightsLH.JPG.df2d9307bfb78ef0c58d23c2b6bcf497.JPG

202410220022182balanceweightsRH.JPG.178083d9d07433cb3c827e72b861032c.JPG

A quick test with a battery confirmed that they are clear of the coupling rods so they just need priming and painting now.

• Like 7