Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Australia v Georgia - two generally mediocre performances, with some occasional individual flashes, meant that the slightly better-disciplined side beat the other. Not much else to say, really.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Apart from some Paper Railway work, making some more updates and amendments to the operating sequence in the light of experience from our last running session, I've done very little model railway-wise as we've got the builders in to renovate and decorate the four rooms on the south side of the house. This is quite challenging logistically, as things (including us!) have to be moved in and out of the different rooms in order to leave a clear space for the tradies and at the same time room for us to live and work. The first room, our bedroom, is nearly done so I'll have the joyous task this weekend of moving everything back in and clearing the next rooms in line...

This situation will continue for a few more weeks, so updates here are likely to remain sporadic. Notwithstanding, Peter the Cornishman has a BRMA meeting at his place on Saturday so that should be a lot of fun.

Oh, and we went out to dinner this evening to celebrate my first year of retirement. Doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself?

Separately, I've bought one of Phil @Harlequin's 3D-printed GWR 6T yard crane kits:

which arrived today. It looks both fearsome and magnificent at the same time! I don't expect to do much with it until Pentowan goods yard is ready to receive it. Watch this space.

Looks like 20% (or more) of the initial production is headed down under! There will be one appearing on my layout soon too.

Rodger

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I just asked: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/187458-new-terms/

If you take the wording at face value it seems a bit draconian.

You may not want to read the thread that follows from my post because it turns into another typical RMweb bunfight where everyone wants the last word! But let me summarise for you.

This new term is not about moderation or permission to sell on RMweb, as we might have imagined from the simple wording. It's about advertising revenue. The "agreement" mentioned in the new term is a financial agreement and Warners are using it to charge for what they see as commercial advertising on RMweb. The exact boundaries of that will become clearer as they are tested but Gold membership does still allow a member to sell stuff privately because we're paying a sub already.

So 6 ton yard cranes are safe - for now.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Harlequin said:

You may not want to read the thread that follows from my post because it turns into another typical RMweb bunfight where everyone wants the last word! But let me summarise for you.

This new term is not about moderation or permission to sell on RMweb, as we might have imagined from the simple wording. It's about advertising revenue. The "agreement" mentioned in the new term is a financial agreement and Warners are using it to charge for what they see as commercial advertising on RMweb. The exact boundaries of that will become clearer as they are tested but Gold membership does still allow a member to sell stuff privately because we're paying a sub already.

So 6 ton yard cranes are safe - for now.

Hmm. I recently bought some items, through an RMweb member acting as intermediary, from from a modeller whose health had deteriorated to the point where he could no longer enjoy his hobby. I wonder how that would be viewed under the new T&Cs.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A grand day out yesterday. My friend Graham (an MCL operator, just to keep things on topic) and I enjoyed one of our occasional Gold Card lunches, named for the Gold Opal card that lets old f@rts like us go anywhere on Sydney trains, buses and ferries for a maximum fare of $2.50 a day.

This time, with the forthcoming introduction of the New Intercity Fleet (eventually) and the consequent demise of the classic V Sets in mind, we went up into the Blue Mountains for an excellent  pub lunch by the fireside at the New Ivanhoe Hotel in Blackheath (@Barry O has been there). A total of about 5 hours on V Sets, leaving after the morning peak and getting home just before the evening peak.

No photos, I'm afraid, as we were both too busy eating, drinking and yarning (not necessarily in that order).

For those who don't know them, try this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSW_TrainLink_V_set

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

A great pub.. just like being in an old Yorkshire pub...I take it that the food and beer were excellent!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

A great pub.. just like being in an old Yorkshire pub...I take it that the food and beer were excellent!

Baz

Food, beer, wine, weather, company - all first class!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Hmm. I recently bought some items, through an RMweb member acting as intermediary, from from a modeller whose health had deteriorated to the point where he could no longer enjoy his hobby. I wonder how that would be viewed under the new T&Cs.

Based on a trawl through that should be fine.

The summary is: Gold members can advertise non-commercial sales in the adverts. Commercial sellers (i.e. items acquired or made specifically for resale) need clearance from the management (palms may need to be crossed with silver). For non-trade events/sales there is a generous amount of leeway as long as you ask first.

Edited by ian
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ian said:

Based on a trawl through that should be fine.

The summary is: Gold members can advertise non-commercial sales in the adverts. Commercial sellers (i.e. items acquired or made specifically for resale) need clearance from the management (palms may need to be crossed with silver). For non-trade events/sales there is a generous amount of leeway as long as you ask first.

Still hmm. For non-trade events/sales by non-Gold members, that seems rather empirical and subjective.

The precise wording of the rule is (my emphasis):

"Do not post any content or links that serve to promote or offer for sale any goods, services, transaction or commercial entity that you have any involvement with unless agreement is reached which applies from the above date. All previous arrangements are now superseded."

Very broad - and no indication from whom to seek agreement, unless it is the email address mentioned in a different context later: rmweb@warnersgroup.co.uk.

Some clarification/amplification would be helpful.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Eight BRMA members gathered at Peter the Cornishman's house this afternoon for an excellent meeting. Peter's layout is a long, narrow, double-track dumb-bell. It includes a passing station that represents Plymouth for operational purposes, a dead-end fiddle yard representing everything east of Plymouth and a terminus station inspired by, and based, on Penzance. For the first time we ran a short sequence of about 25 trains that certainly added to the fun. A delicious afternoon tea formed a fitting end to a fine afternoon.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Still hmm. For non-trade events/sales by non-Gold members, that seems rather empirical and subjective.

The precise wording of the rule is (my emphasis):

"Do not post any content or links that serve to promote or offer for sale any goods, services, transaction or commercial entity that you have any involvement with unless agreement is reached which applies from the above date. All previous arrangements are now superseded."

Very broad - and no indication from whom to seek agreement, unless it is the email address mentioned in a different context later: rmweb@warnersgroup.co.uk.

Some clarification/amplification would be helpful.

So that would imply only BRM Exhibitions can be advertised for free.. not really a way of continuing the hobby?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

So that would imply only BRM Exhibitions can be advertised for free.. not really a way of continuing the hobby?

Can’t do a link but at the bottom of page two of the topic AY says non commercial shows will be ok.

I did start reading the topic for that reason but soon gave it as it became very toxic. Controversy seems to follow some people about. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Define a 'commercial show' as opposed to a non-commercial one.

A commercial show is one that makes a surplus.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A commercial show is one that makes a surplus.

Not necessarily.

A show specifically to raise funds for a charity would be a charity show and would be expected to make a surplus.

The problem is trying to codify all the various shades and nuamces of hobby activity from "I've purchased a job lot of kits so that I could get this rarity and want to shift the rest on" to concerns that provide a livelihood for a number of people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, aardvark said:

So you wouldn't know whether a show was commercial or not until it's over and the beans have been counted?

1 hour ago, ian said:

Not necessarily.

A show specifically to raise funds for a charity would be a charity show and would be expected to make a surplus.

The problem is trying to codify all the various shades and nuamces of hobby activity from "I've purchased a job lot of kits so that I could get this rarity and want to shift the rest on" to concerns that provide a livelihood for a number of people.

Unfortunately, there is no "tongue-in-cheek" key on my computer.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Define a 'commercial show' as opposed to a non-commercial one.

Presumably one put on as a business venture, with paid staff, as opposed to one organised by a club and staffed by members. 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Wallabies v Springboks: A masterclass in physicality, vision, support and forcing opposition errors - but not in discipline, where through being down to 13 for much of the final quarter the winners gave away their clean sheet. Overall verdict: men against boys.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Wallabies v Springboks: A masterclass in physicality, vision, support and forcing opposition errors - but not in discipline, where through being down to 13 for much of the final quarter the winners gave away their clean sheet. Overall verdict: men against boys.

Ouch!

We'd better stick to Olympic Sports I guess.

• Agree 2