Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Barry O of this parish will be delighted to know that I've found another use for cup hooks on the layout (not on the stock shelves and not for cups though). I already use large hooks to support cables along the L-girders, but the new ones will be much smaller and play quite a different role.

I had to go into our friendly neighbourhood stationery superstore today and while I was there I happened to see these:

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/kevron-id5-key-tags-clear-4-pack-ke47037

They will be ideal for the wagon routing system. The colour-coded tiles will clip inside the tags, while I'll remove the coiled wire key rings themselves. The tags can then hang from cup hooks screwed to a board mounted on the wall.

Originally I'd thought about using magnetic tags but they would be rather difficult to shuffle, as they would all stick together. These key tags will do the job nicely I think.

More, including photos, when I actually try them out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Had you considered Velcro tape instead of hooks?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-Wide-VELCRO-Brand-PS14-Self-Adhesive-Stick-On-Hook-or-Loop-25-Metre-Roll-/183475942210

Simple coloured cards (business card sized ?) with a small piece of Velcro stuck on the back.

To shuffle, drop into an old shoe box and shake. 

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Had you considered Velcro tape instead of hooks?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-Wide-VELCRO-Brand-PS14-Self-Adhesive-Stick-On-Hook-or-Loop-25-Metre-Roll-/183475942210

Simple coloured cards (business card sized ?) with a small piece of Velcro stuck on the back.

To shuffle, drop into an old shoe box and shake. 

I'll give that a try too - thanks.

I'm keen to hear the details of how this system will work. I'm still procrastinating over my own freight dispatch system, made more complex in my case as many of the places generating and receiving traffic are modeled on the layout, so it may be a case of actually having a system that generates wagon loads with the railway company (aka the layout operator(s) ) finding the correct number and type of wagons to send to the "customer" to collect and deliver the loads. That is much how Ian Thompson works his AFK layout and I like his methods.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I'm keen to hear the details of how this system will work. I'm still procrastinating over my own freight dispatch system, made more complex in my case as many of the places generating and receiving traffic are modeled on the layout, so it may be a case of actually having a system that generates wagon loads with the railway company (aka the layout operator(s) ) finding the correct number and type of wagons to send to the "customer" to collect and deliver the loads. That is much how Ian Thompson works his AFK layout and I like his methods.

Martin, I'm also keen to see how it will work!

I'm not going down to the level of individual customers/industries or details of the loads. The only "industry" on my layout is china-clay and those trains all run as block trains, so are outside the scope of the wagon routing system.

The system will send wagons to different stations or yards on the layout but nothing more. I will leave it to the operators to work out that the cattle vans go to the cattle dock, coal wagons go to the coal siding, etc.

• Like 2

I'm sure their is an app for something like this but it would be a lot of work to first populate your database of wagons, traffic types, stations and/or industries otherwise how would an app know which wagon to send where?

Edited by Martin S-C

27 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I'm sure their is an app for something like this but it would be a lot of work to first populate your database of wagons, traffic types, stations and/or industries otherwise how would an app know which wagon to send where?

no more different than write out a load of labels etc... :)

Yes, that's true, but labels/cards are of universal application. A phone app is only useful to those with the tech to run it. My layout will run at optimum with 6 operators. Expecting everyone to have a compatible iPhone to attend a model railway operating sesion is a wrong approach I feel. If you are on your own or just a couple of you it makes more sense, but still not as much sense as physical card labels. Its curious, I am embracing DCC and digital control and even looking at digital bell codes between operators wearing headsets for my layout (which I would supply) but for freight management I feel the solutions found by modellers in the 1960s are superior for a model at least. I also just prefer the tactile presence of cards, for a model set in the pre-computer era it feels more appropriate - and yes, I take on board the DCC digital signalling argument not being a pre-grouping concept but this and train operations are a means to an end of a mechanical simulation. Unless we use live steam we all use electrictity to power our trains, so we're all doing it unrealistically in that regard.

I've seen iPhone train control apps used to operate a model railway. I've seen them go wrong a lot more often that someone losing a wagon card under the layout  ;)

But is there a model railway freight management phone app? Or even one that runs on a PC or Raspberry Pi? For those modellers with all the tech it would be worth investigating.

Edited by Martin S-C

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

are there phone apps for control of this ? :)

9 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I don't know about phone apps because I don't use a smartphone so they have no relevance as far as I'm concerned. However, there are some computer applications around that will send wagons from one place to another. The ones I've seen need every individual wagon to be identified so are rather more complex than what I want.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

no more different than write out a load of labels etc... :)

7 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Yes, that's true, but labels/cards are of universal application. A phone app is only useful to those with the tech to run it. My layout will run at optimum with 6 operators. Expecting everyone to have a compatible iPhone to attend a model railway operating sesion is a wrong approach I feel. If you are on your own or just a couple of you it makes more sense, but still not as much sense as physical card labels. Its curious, I am embracing DCC and digital control and even looking at digital bell codes between operators wearing headsets for my layout (which I would supply) but for freight management I feel the solutions found by modellers in the 1960s are superior for a model at least. I also just prefer the tactile presence of cards, for a model set in the pre-computer era it feels more appropriate - and yes, I take on board the DCC digital signalling argument not being a pre-grouping concept but this and train operations are a means to an end of a mechanical simulation. Unless we use live steam we all use electrictity to power our trains, so we're all doing it unrealistically in that regard.

I've seen iPhone train control apps used to operate a model railway. I've seen them go wrong a lot more often that someone losing a wagon card under the layout  ;)

But is there a model railway freight management phone app? Or even one that runs on a PC or Raspberry Pi? For those modellers with all the tech it would be worth investigating.

I'm not going to be using lots of wagon labels either. If you look back at my earlier posts you will see that each wagon will have a simple colour code on the solebar that will match an equally simple colour code on a tag hanging on a board. All the operator will need to do is match the colour codes to send the wagon to its destination. Nothing will need "writing out".

Our drivers need to carry a controller/handset/throttle and also a copy of the sequence. Carrying a phone as well would be impracticable - and before anyone asks, no we are not going to control the trains using a phone.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm not going to be using lots of wagon labels either. If you look back at my earlier posts you will see that each wagon will have a simple colour code on the solebar that will match an equally simple colour code on a tag hanging on a board. All the operator will need to do is match the colour codes to send the wagon to its destination. Nothing will need "writing out".

Our drivers need to carry a controller/handset/throttle and also a copy of the sequence. Carrying a phone as well would be impracticable - and before anyone asks, no we are not going to control the trains using a phone.

Today's phones are great, you can sort out your wagons, drive your trains, take moving and still pictures, use them to send telegrams between stations and talk to each other when out of normal SHOUTING range.  And at the same time order your new loco from your favorite model shop.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Today's phones are great, you can... talk to each other when out of normal SHOUTING range

Do they really do that? Well I never!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

Yeah... but its not a train controller. I like buttons and sliders and knobs. And a train controller doesn't come with an expensive monthly contract!

My phone has lots of buttons - possibly too many - and lets me talk to people who are a very long way away. That's all I need from it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Today's phones are great, you can sort out your wagons, drive your trains, take moving and still pictures, use them to send telegrams between stations and talk to each other when out of normal SHOUTING range.  And at the same time order your new loco from your favorite model shop.

And rumour has they only need 2 wires to keep them going!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Apologies to all, experienced connectivity problems at that time. It seems to have managed to send it both

before, and after the interuption.

Edited by Mulgabill
Correct duplication.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mulgabill said:

1 hour ago, Mulgabill said:

There seems to be an echo here Tony...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

There seems to be an echo here Tony...

That’s often caused by wrong feedback settings at the two wire to four wire converter. 

T. Elecomic.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

You only need two posts to get your count up...

I'm like you, John. A phone is something I use to speak with people far away. Mine doesn't even do texts and everyone who knows me, knows that, so if it bleeps with a text I can happily ignore it because I know its spam. Oh it does have an alarm though. Two things I use it for then.

For controlling model railways I use a model railway controller and for buying I use a PC or get in my car and drive to a model shop. Simples.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

You only need two posts to get your count up...

I'm like you, John. A phone is something I use to speak with people far away. Mine doesn't even do texts and everyone who knows me, knows that, so if it bleeps with a text I can happily ignore it because I know its spam. Oh it does have an alarm though. Two things I use it for then.

For controlling model railways I use a model railway controller and for buying I use a PC or get in my car and drive to a model shop. Simples.

I must concede that I also use the alarm on my phone as it is louder than the one on my watch - which, for the avoidance of doubt, has a little motor inside that makes the hands go round and round.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Among her many talents, Alexa works for me as a phone, timer, alarm, radio and (hands free) internet access whilst I am working on my model railway.  And I can talk to folks in other rooms in the house without having to leave my workbench.  No buttons, keyboards or knobs, just voice activated.    Some modern technology is getting very clever these days, intuitive and finally reaching the point where it is easier to use than what it replaces.

Phil.

Edited by Chamby

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

Among her many talents, Alexa works for me as a phone, timer, alarm, radio and (hands free) internet access whilst I am working on my model railway.  And I can talk to folks in other rooms in the house without having to leave my workbench.  No buttons, keyboards or knobs, just voice activated.    Some modern technology is getting very clever these days, intuitive and finally reaching the point where it is easier to use than what it replaces.

Phil.

...while she monitors your every move. Big Sister is watching you...

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1