Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

No action in the railway room at all this weekend unfortunately. Most of yesterday was taken up with a BRMA National Committee meeting and then erecting some new dining room chairs, while today involved erecting the table that goes with the chairs. The hardest part of all that was getting the old table out through the door and into the carport, ready to be picked up by a charity.

Next Saturday we have a running session, which will include the short clay train for the first time (bringing us up to a total of 48 train movements compared with the 26 we had at the first of our regular sessions at the beginning of last year).

It's a funny old world. I write a post saying that I have done absolutely nothing to the layout and I get six "likes".

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

We must be living in a parallel world mate, I finished off my daughters dining table, sanded off the top, painted the frame and varnished it this weekend......well at least she gave me a like !

post-20303-0-31231700-1531735609_thumb.jpeg

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a funny old world. I write a post saying that I have done absolutely nothing to the layout and I get six "likes".

No but you have earned lots of brownie points with Veronica.

Baz

Glass half empty = no train work, and kit building session (non-railway).

Glass half full = News of an upcoming greatly enhanced running session, to be shared soon!

And with, no doubt, grateful encouragement from the recipient of said built kit.

All the best

• RMweb Premium

I always consider my glass to be always full - half liquid, half air  - the eternal optimist I guess.

As long as the air is at the top that should work.

As an engineer, I always think that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

With two Masters degrees in Engineering and Logistics, I am torn between "glass currently too big for the task", and "demand outstripping the supply chain at that point in time".

So I will just say that it's your round next......................

• RMweb Premium

With two Masters degrees in Engineering and Logistics, I am torn between "glass currently too big for the task", and "demand outstripping the supply chain at that point in time".

So I will just say that it's your round next......................

One of those is for buying, one for selling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On Wednesday I started to wonder whether we would get though a whole page without a single railway-related post but it was not to be...

Today's running session went well, as is usual nowadays I'm glad to say, although one point blade became detached from a tiebar in the Penzance throat. That was fixed easily without too much delay to train services, so we got through the new 48-train sequence in a net two hours. Running round the goods trains using the main lines worked well, although it will be simpler when the three-quarter scissors is finished and we can keep the main lines clear altogether. There was some congestion at times in Porthmellyn Road yard due to using it as a surrogate for both St Dennis Junction (for the long clay train) and Wheal Veronica (for the short clay train) but by making good use of No 2 Spur to move stuff out of the way there were no real problems.

I took on the role of Porthmellyn Road signalman, using the lever frame for the first time. That was really enjoyable, even without any signals so far. With two yardmasters and four drivers there were once again several times when we had two or three trains moving at once.

In summary, a successful afternoon that was rounded off as always by afternoon tea, enhanced today by Veronica's ham and cheese scrolls and Rodney's daughter Eloise's Mars Bar slice.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I've posted this on ANTB but it would seem most appropriate here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkGPCQtg3ms

Put your feet up and enjoy John !

G

Thanks Grahame. I've just commented on ANTB as you will see...

Not much chance of putting my feet up as I'm getting ready to fly to the UK next weekend and then there's the BRMA Convention at the end of September, which I'm helping to organise together with RodneyV and nerron of this parish - hence the distinct lack of layout activity at the moment.

Not to worry, this time next week I will be helping my old mates from Brighton MRC operate their layout at Tinkers Park https://www.tinkerspark.com/home/model-railways-plus/. In the process I expect to break my own record for the longest trip to operate at a model railway show - Hong Kong to the Brighton Centre in 1998 was my previous best. The following Sunday I hope to be at Railwells. If I make it (it's the day after my daughter's wedding) I'll be wearing my Leeds MRS 70th Anniversary t-shirt, so if any of you spot me feel free to a) say hello or b) hide until I've gone past.

• Like 1

I hope all goes well for your trip and especially your daughters wedding.

I may not be attending Wells this year due to a lack of transport but its always a good exhibition, however, should I manage to get there I would be more than happy to say hello.

All the very best,

Grahame

• RMweb Premium

Not to worry, this time next week I will be helping my old mates from Brighton MRC operate their layout at Tinkers Park https://www.tinkerspark.com/home/model-railways-plus/. In the process I expect to break my own record for the longest trip to operate at a model railway show - Hong Kong to the Brighton Centre in 1998 was my previous best. The following Sunday I hope to be at Railwells. If I make it (it's the day after my daughter's wedding) I'll be wearing my Leeds MRS 70th Anniversary t-shirt, so if any of you spot me feel free to a) say hello or b) hide until I've gone past.

I hope your not thinking of giving Keith a bill for the airline tickets...it’ll wreck his holiday budget.

• RMweb Premium

40 years ago this month some of us graduated. Meeting in the Oak 7:30 two weeks on Thursday...just mentioning like...

I'll be somewhere between LHR and SYD on my way home. If I'm awake I'll have one for you.

​Edit: Actually, it will be 0430 on Friday morning, about an hour and a half before landing, so I'll wait until the evening.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

40 years ago this month some of us graduated. Meeting in the Oak 7:30 two weeks on Thursday...just mentioning like...

19/7/78. Mum, Dad and I had a super meal that evening with Roly S and his parents at their house in Alwoodley.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A pretty good start to my UK trip. I arrived at LHR early on Sunday morning and after the 3 S's (if you need to ask, you don't need to know) I went to pick up the hire car. Slight hiccup here as the company's view of a "Medium" car and mine were somewhat different - the one they offered me had no room for one suitcase, never mind the two quoted on their website. eventually, after they found me a VW Golf instead, I set off and arrived at Tinkers Park around 1130. My record-breaking trip was ratified when I worked through the sequence on Little Telsleigh twice, once at the station and once at the quarry/fiddle yard. Unless some mad fool turns up from New Zealand one day that record should stand for a while.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A pretty good start to my UK trip. I arrived at LHR early on Sunday morning and after the 3 S's (if you need to ask, you don't need to know) I went to pick up the hire car. Slight hiccup here as the company's view of a "Medium" car and mine were somewhat different - the one they offered me had no room for one suitcase, never mind the two quoted on their website. eventually, after they found me a VW Golf instead, I set off and arrived at Tinkers Park around 1130. My record-breaking trip was ratified when I worked through the sequence on Little Telsleigh twice, once at the station and once at the quarry/fiddle yard. Unless some mad fool turns up from New Zealand one day that record should stand for a while.

Yeah - but don't I recall Gwiwer bringing a working layout from Oz to the RMweb Taunton do a few years back? I don't suppose it was very large, but all the same.....