Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I had a go at the back-to-backs on the two 42xx locos, adopting the highly technical method of levering the wheels gently with a screwdriver held against the frames. I seem to have got a slight improvement as all the dimensions are now within the 14.4 mm to 14.5 mm range. I also fitted one more spacer on each side of the trailing drivers. This has reduced the side play on the leading and trailing driving axles almost to zero but the locos will still go round curves easily as there is still over 2mm of side play on the second and third driving axles. The locos ran well enough after that so I think I'll leave them be for now, apart from fitting a centring spring to the pony trucks when I get a round tuit.

I did have a look at where extra weight could be added as the Hornby 42xx is one of the lightest models, relative to the prototype's adhesive weight, that I have. There is no room in the boiler/smokebox as the decoder lives there but there should be room on the cab floor, under the cab roof, and in the bunker. The trouble is, I can't see how to open these areas up to add some lead. I could poke some in through the cab side openings, but the bunker seems to be a sealed box. Has anyone found a way of getting inside the cab and bunker on these locos (before you ask, I have got the instructions somewhere but can't find them)?

Today I went back to the lever frame and had a good crack at filing the notches in the lower tappets. First, though, I removed the locking bars one by one to check the markings on the tappets. All seemed well - although I won't really know until the whole frame is assembled with the locking fitted. Once I got into action with the saw and files I knocked out 56 notches on 17 tappets over about a three-hour session. That leaves me another 10 tappets to go, with a total of 34 notches between them. I won't finish them over the next two weekends, as we have other things to do, but with luck one more session should see all the tappets finished.

After that all I have to do to complete the mechanical work on the lever frame is to cut, fit and file 161 locking pins...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If you get hold of some Cerrobend you can pour it into plastic bodies quite safely. I've used this to get enough weight into Hornby locos for Carlisle, pouring it down the chimney in one case.

Thanks Mike. I might try that, although it won't solve the bunker problem.

I have plenty of sheet lead, having bought a roll of flashing from our local DIY superstore at a knock-down price. I plan to use that - folded, rolled, whatever - whenever I can. One application will be to increase the weight of my wagons.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't glue it in with pva.....

No, I know about that! Usually I either just wedge it in or use a bit of UHU (sometimes double sided tape is enough to hold it in place until the body holds it captive).

• RMweb Gold

I did have a look at where extra weight could be added as the Hornby 42xx is one of the lightest models, relative to the prototype's adhesive weight, that I have. There is no room in the boiler/smokebox as the decoder lives there but there should be room on the cab floor, under the cab roof, and in the bunker. The trouble is, I can't see how to open these areas up to add some lead. I could poke some in through the cab side openings, but the bunker seems to be a sealed box. Has anyone found a way of getting inside the cab and bunker on these locos (before you ask, I have got the instructions somewhere but can't find them)?

I think the 42xx and 72xx roof assemblies are the same? The 72xx cab roof is lightly glued on and can be (carefully) prised off. The "coal" in the 72xx bunker can be easily prised off. The Brassmasters improvement kit has instructions for both removals. You can access the PDF file on line

Regards

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the 42xx and 72xx roof assemblies are the same? The 72xx cab roof is lightly glued on and can be (carefully) prised off. The "coal" in the 72xx bunker can be easily prised off. The Brassmasters improvement kit has instructions for both removals. You can access the PDF file on line

Regards

John

Thanks John. I'll have a look at the Brassmasters site and then poke around the roofs and bunker. 

• RMweb Premium

What happens if you do glue it in with PVA?

I've recently had two locos back with the bunkers parting company from the footplate, they had been filled with a mixture of lead shot and PVA. This is just about the worst combination as the additional surface area of the exaggerates the effect - the lead reacts with something in the glue and expands all over. These are now back with Ian Rathbone who has to try to repair the paint after I'd soaked them in water to loosen the glue and re-soldered them back together.

I thought this had been very well known for many years but perhaps not....

John,

The comments on the PVA glue are most helpful, as I was not aware of this issue. What do our readers recommend if using lead shot to weight. Given I am modelling N gauge the space restrictions are even more critical.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/page-1

John,

The comments on the PVA glue are most helpful, as I was not aware of this issue. What do our readers recommend if using lead shot to weight. Given I am modelling N gauge the space restrictions are even more critical.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/page-1

I've had no problem with cheap super-glue from £ shops,

although that was with lead sheet, not shot.

• RMweb Premium

John,

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Anthony, I haven't used lead shot or any equivalent "granular" material myself, so I can't help you directly but, as Jeff says and as I have read elsewhere, superglue is a common choice.

Anthony, I haven't used lead shot or any equivalent "granular" material myself, so I can't help you directly but, as Jeff says and as I have read elsewhere, superglue is a common choice.

That can also lead to smokebox crazing or the superglue can react with the lead... UHU glue can also expand. I found blue tack to have the least destructive qualities :)

From bitter experience test carefully first :)

• RMweb Premium

That can also lead to smokebox crazing or the superglue can react with the lead... UHU glue can also expand. I found blue tack to have the least destructive qualities :)

From bitter experience test carefully first :)

Perhaps we should go back to the old ways and use Plasticine, with or without the lead (other modelling clays are available).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Platicene may dry out a bit quicker where you are St Enodoc.

Some of my vans are now filled with a polyfilla type mix which, touch wood, has stayed stuck.

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

For wagons etc. I use lead-free wheel balancing weights. They come in strips of 5 and 10 gram weights and are self adhesive. One weight placed under a load or under the frame makes a huge difference, particularly to lighter wagons such as those made by Dapol. Whilst not as heavy as lead, where space is a little more generous they do the job admirably without any worries of chemical reaction.

Phil

I did try to get my ex-wife to sit on a tender once to weigh it down but she wasn't too happy, and she wasn't keen on me playing trains either !  :O  :sarcastichand:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Two parcels were waiting for me when we got back from our short holiday last week.

One contained City of Truro, which will stay in its box until I have bought a decoder for it.

The other, from Hattons, contained a few second-hand wagons plus a Bachmann Scenecraft banner repeater. My plan is to modify this to be a working model, which will repeat the off-stage (and hence non-existent) Porthmellyn Road Down Main Advanced Starter. This will give drivers a visual indication that the line into the Penzance loops is clear, lever 6 being one of those fitted with a Line Clear release.

Has anyone else made a working banner repeater from the Bachmann model?

• Like 4

Hi John, I need a banner repeater for Llanbourne so any pics of your Bachmann one would be nice. I can't find a decent pic so far. I had been looking at getting the bits from MSE. I friend over in Hastings has made a working one with the MSE stuff it looks really good.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, I need a banner repeater for Llanbourne so any pics of your Bachmann one would be nice. I can't find a decent pic so far. I had been looking at getting the bits from MSE. I friend over in Hastings has made a working one with the MSE stuff it looks really good.

Cheers Peter.

Will this do you?  Courtesy of Kernow models website -

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/51352/44-576-Bachmann-Scenecraft-Banner-Repeater-Signal

Incidentally I'm not sure which region's colour scheme has been used but it did vary considerably between Regions as did the mounting arrangements and ladder etc.  This one looks very LMR to me or possibly SR although the post is wrong for some on the latter Region.

Will this do you?  Courtesy of Kernow models website -

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/51352/44-576-Bachmann-Scenecraft-Banner-Repeater-Signal

Incidentally I'm not sure which region's colour scheme has been used but it did vary considerably between Regions as did the mounting arrangements and ladder etc.  This one looks very LMR to me or possibly SR although the post is wrong for some on the latter Region.

Thanks Mike, It's still not giving me a good shot of the repeater though I am wondering if there is glazing or if it's a solid molding.

Cheers Peter.