LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

• 4 weeks later...

Current project a start to a revised current Hornby D49 . Thanks to Coachman re tips on the Valve gear on his build. At the moment teamed with a Bachmann K3 Tender. I will either use this or if i can get one a Step Side K3 tender in due course.

post-7186-0-73253000-1337537232.jpg

post-7186-0-55212500-1337537238.jpg

A couple of wagons finished.

ABS Mineral and ex NER P4 Hopper, 51 L ex NER Insulated Van and a Bachmann repaint of their current LNER Vans.

post-7186-0-85108700-1337537351.jpg

post-7186-0-49536700-1337537358.jpg

post-7186-0-95705300-1337537364.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

D49 chassis up and running.

After some experiment I have filled the loco boiler above the motor with lead. As a result I have been able to fit A3 drivers losing the traction tyres of the front set and gained the excellent lining to both sets. I have fitted a A3 bogie slightly modified and lined bogie wheels . Etched brakes added to front drivers too. Pistons are also modified A3. A cheap and easy conversion.

She pulls four compartment coaches without problems, slight wheelspin on five. Running is excellent now it has pickups on all four drivers. I will also run pickups to the tender, any suggestions re best method(s) of removeable connection welcome.

post-7186-0-69636800-1338317109.jpg

post-7186-0-64689500-1338317115.jpg

Modified LNER Bachmann wagons.

The unfitted version has had the door interior added. Both versions have Lanarkshire Models buffers added.

post-7186-0-16850900-1338317123.jpg

post-7186-0-84220400-1338317127.jpg

post-7186-0-98713400-1338317136.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff Mick :sungum: I'm tempted to do a D49 after seeing Larry's and now yours but I really should finish the PDK one I started years ago! I also need to find some time as well...

Edit - who's etched brakes do you use?

Edited by Worsdell forever
  • Like 1

Mick,

Some nice work again ...

but Re. 13 ton wagons .....as a matter of interest,do you know the reason for the grey wood door one not to work off LNER system ...?????

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

Sorry no idea, perhaps as they were new the LNER were trying to look after them !!??

Just looked at Tatlow LNER Wagons he states " probably not part of common user agreement "

Edited by micklner

Another ebay "bargain" arrival a NRM A3.

This was listed as not running in "display condition" but damaged !! sold for spares. No idea what kind of display this would appear on some kind of scrapyard display perhaps !!

Chassis

All that was needed was a slight straighting of the the valve gear and a drop of oil . Now runs fine icon_biggrin.gif as I have seen chassis's sell for more than what I paid for this one I was straight away happy !

Loco body

Oh dear what do people do with such superb models.

Most of the damage is a easy repair. The only problem will be where the top corner of the roof/sidesheet join has been sliced off . The cab side sheets will have to be filed and repainted.

The usual damage otherwise cab doors ,fall plate,missing defectors which I wouldnt have used anyway, loose cab to footplate and vac return pipe.

post-7186-0-63973500-1339082365.jpg

post-7186-0-45935200-1339082382.jpg

Tender

A lesson on how not to remove a tender body form the chassis. Well I am guessing thats what the last owner was trying to do !!!!.

Chassis scrap at least you can get them from EKM.

Tender body with some work is saveable hopefully. I have a spare tender so this one will be stored for future use anyway.

post-7186-0-01179900-1339082455.jpg

post-7186-0-23087200-1339082461.jpg

post-7186-0-29640400-1339082466.jpg

post-7186-0-13280300-1339082472.jpg

This will become the same type as one I am doing on commision at the moment (Papyrus) to round dome A3 condition and will when rebuilt become the ill fated Grand Parade.

At the moment is not in much better condition than the original after the Castlecary accident in which it was written off. icon_eek.gif

• Like 1

Mick,

I will have a look on Saturday when I am next in the shop ...may have 1 or 2 tender chassis ...

PS ...just found the same comment Re wagon ...must have been the first type of that wagon as the all steel ones are not branded the same ...

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

• Like 1

Further part of the same commision shown above.

Papryus

This has been converted from the Hornby USA Cowcatcher version.

New Dome, Bufferbeam cutdown and resized filled and new lining and number, vac pipe added . Cylinders changed to correct version. Tender converted to 1928 spec.Renamed and numbered , boiler relined and top painted to match original colour which is not a shade of Apple Green I have ever seen on any other current Hornby LNER Loco .

post-7186-0-38888800-1339411998.jpg

post-7186-0-50086600-1339412007.jpg

post-7186-0-56669900-1339412013.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 8

Mick

To back track this thread slightly to the D49. I'm currently doing the same conversion to a 'proper' Hunt. One problem I've noticed on the model as supplied [and not corrected on Coachman's as far as I could see] is the cylinder position. Looking at photos it looks as if the cylinder centre line should coincide with the steam pipe centre line. The Hornby model therefore has the cylinders too far back. I don't see any photos of your conversion finished, but I see you replaced the cylinders. Did you reposition the cylinders and if so what connecting rods did you use?

A couple of general comments about the Hornby D49; on both sides of the loco there is a rod running horizontally along the boiler. This is the reversing rod and should, according to photos, only be on the left hand side. The model also has lubricators on both sides, these also should only be on the LH side.

Jeremy

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1

Smashing work there Mick. How have you managed to get the bufferbeam lining so neat? I am preparing my A2/2 for painting and that portion of it is worrying me a tad. Using transfers but haven't had satisfactory results elsewhere.

HMRS LNER Lining using the thinest line on the sheet . I used parts of the oval curve pieces for the corners.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

Mick

To back track this thread slightly to the D49. I'm currently doing the same conversion to a 'proper' Hunt. One problem I've noticed on the model as supplied [and not corrected on Coachman's as far as I could see] is the cylinder position. Looking at photos it looks as if the cylinder centre line should coincide with the steam pipe centre line. The Hornby model therefore has the cylinders too far back. I don't see any photos of your conversion finished, but I see you replaced the cylinders. Did you reposition the cylinders and if so what connecting rods did you use?

A couple of general comments about the Hornby D49; on both sides of the loco there is a rod running horizontally along the boiler. This is the reversing rod and should, according to photos, only be on the left hand side. The model also has lubricators on both sides, these also should only be on the LH side.

Jeremy

Sadly mine are in the original Hornby position. I could not see any viable way of moving the cylinders which are Hornby version with added details. Hornby have moved them back to allow more swing on the bogie wheels.

I am aware of the Rod run on the Left/Nearside of the Loco and the Lubricators . I have scratched a new Rod and parts and Lubricators will be added onto the footplate not hidden under the Boiler as per the Hornby moulding. There is a further rod on the right side part covered next to the cab . Ashpan Lever ? which have also added.

I have removed all the wrong Hornby boiler detail and await handrail knobs at mo, I can then finish the detail prior to painting.

I will post some pictures when all the detail is added.

cheers

• Like 1