Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Is it just my laptop or has the Forum been offline for a while?

I've been working in the garden since late morning, but all my attempts to log in to RMweb have been rebuffed - until 5 minutes ago. Never mind, nothing railway-wise to report.

More garden pics in the next few days. And just think, the sooner this phase of outdoor build gets done, the sooner I can justify going back "inside".  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

I got a bad gateway message around afternoon tea so gave up.

Don

Jeff,

Same thing happened to me, looking in during the afternoon and it locked up. Not sure of the exact time but I just returned from a family function and got straight in!

Hope you had a productive day,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Same thing happened to me, looking in during the afternoon and it locked up. Not sure of the exact time but I just returned from a family function and got straight in!

Hope you had a productive day,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Guys,

Andy Y reported that they had a glitch when they were trying to update  - just how many hours do we spend on here?

Cheers, Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Andy Y reported that they had a glitch when they were trying to update  - just how many hours do we spend on here?

Cheers, Peter

Peter, thanks for the info.

You make a good point about the time spent looking at the Forum.

This will make an interesting thing to discuss in the Lounge. I'll start things off in a minute!

Jeff

• Like 3

I'M TERRIBLE, :O  Flip Flop on my knee over breakfast, then possibly again when I sit down for coffee at 11, and then a quick look in at lunch time, again about 3 over coffee again and now Dee is getting Tea and I've been on here since 6pm.

After Tea I will probably be back on and off till bed time if I'm not at Club or in the Potting Shed.

So about 8 TO 10 HOURS A DAY.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How much time do I spend on here, too much. At times it is more enteraining than the telly. 

Talking about the telly, on Saturday I had a telephone call from the company that does the viewing figures for the BBC and ITV. They rang the wrong bloke because in a normal year I only watch 7 programmes. The 6 Dr Who episodes and the Dr Xmas special. :imsohappy:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

How much time do I spend on here, too much. At times it is more enteraining than the telly. 

Talking about the telly, on Saturday I had a telephone call from the company that does the viewing figures for the BBC and ITV. They rang the wrong bloke because in a normal year I only watch 7 programmes. The 6 Dr Who episodes and the Dr Xmas special. :imsohappy:

Just think of the size of layout you could build in the Tardis! Mind you, you'd have to live as long as a Time Lord to have the time to build the damn thing!

I DID venture into my own Tardis today - to put the heater on for about 3 hours to warm the place up. Thermodynamics is certainly doing its job - it was relatively mild outside and, with all the insulation, bloody cold inside.

Jeff

• Like 3

Just think of the size of layout you could build in the Tardis! Mind you, you'd have to live as long as a Time Lord to have the time to build the damn thing!

I DID venture into my own Tardis today - to put the heater on for about 3 hours to warm the place up. Thermodynamics is certainly doing its job - it was relatively mild outside and, with all the insulation, bloody cold inside.

Jeff

It must be one of those quantum things Jeff! Have you tried putting the heater outside? :scratchhead:

Regards

Bill :tomato:

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Gold

Lots of insulation but little thermal mass. An old stone cottage will take a lot of heat to warm up but will cool slowly. With lots of insulation but only thin ply walls I would expect it to cool quickly and warm quickly.  I am surprised it took so long to warm up id you have the window or a door open for a while.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

The temperature in the bunker was around 6C when I went in yesterday morning. But there's been no heating in the place for over a week. I put the heater on for about 3 hours, by which time it was around 25C in there. It warms up quicker than the last bunker and - having just been in to put the heater on again - retains the heat reasonably well. It's still 14C at the moment.

No practical reason for "warming the place up" - but nice to know it'll be easy to keep it snug. And, of course, it won't overheat in the summer.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Maybe I should post the latest garden pics in the Lounge. However, since this is the work that's holding up bunker work I thought "what the hell", so here they are. Besides, the same people are going to be looking in here anyway!

The structure is now built and double walled to level 5. It will have 8 levels (in the second pic you see levels 3-5, as there is a rising slope on the drive) with levels 6-8 single brick with a coping on top. The brickwork should all be done by the weekend. The copings, maybe, next week - I need to order them!

I've a pile of hardcore (careful, don't get too excited!!  :angel:  :angel:  :no: ), so 5 barrow loads have been dumped into the bottom to start the drainage off. a fair bit of 20mm gravel and bits of brick will go on top.

post-13778-0-07852900-1426696342_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-19396300-1426696346_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-42644400-1426696350_thumb.jpg

Right, coffee time!

Jeff

• Like 7

Looks great Jeff but in honesty it would not suit me one bit, I would have blocked paved the whole thing level so there were no obstacles to add distance to my routes to and from here to there etc! ......................................I bet you think I'm joking?!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looks great Jeff but in honesty it would not suit me one bit, I would have blocked paved the whole thing level so there were no obstacles to add distance to my routes to and from here to there etc! ......................................I bet you think I'm joking?!

I'm quite happy to believe you, Mike, as I'm a great supporter of the tenet of "each to their own".

I'm working to a plan that I drew up over a year ago. It combines structure, functionality, variations in height and form - bricks, paths, steps, pergolas, grass, wide range of plants etc. The 2' drop from side to side across the garden allowed some interesting things to be done and the fact that the garage was never going to be used for cars allowed the greenhouse/summerhouse to be put in place.

There's method in the madness, but it'll need about 2 years before the PROPER bit of the garden - the planting - starts to assert itself.

Jeff

• Like 7

Looks great Jeff but in honesty it would not suit me one bit, I would have blocked paved the whole thing level so there were no obstacles to obstruct my Garden Railway add distance to my routes to and from here to there etc! ......................................I bet you think I'm joking?!

Hahahhahhahahhahaheeeeee

Morning Jeff.

Here is an 07.07 post to make up for yesterday and not being able to access RMWeb! These may get progressively earlier as the daylight arrives, I'm up an hour already but just coming around Hahaha   :jester:

• Like 5

Morning Jeff.

Here is an 07.07 post to make up for yesterday and not being able to access RMWeb! These may get progressively earlier as the daylight arrives, I'm up an hour already but just coming around Hahaha   :jester:

Not AROUND HERE your not, at silly O'clock in the morning.

• RMweb Premium

I overslept today, so missed Mike's early posting, normally I am telling the dog "Hold on Gus we are still wait for Mike to post, then you can go for your walk." he could have had an early walk. He was totally unimpressed with today's very late walk. :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Gold

Maybe I should post the latest garden pics in the Lounge. However, since this is the work that's holding up bunker work I thought "what the hell", so here they are. Besides, the same people are going to be looking in here anyway!

The structure is now built and double walled to level 5. It will have 8 levels (in the second pic you see levels 3-5, as there is a rising slope on the drive) with levels 6-8 single brick with a coping on top. The brickwork should all be done by the weekend. The copings, maybe, next week - I need to order them!

I've a pile of hardcore (careful, don't get too excited!!  :angel:  :angel:  :no: ), so 5 barrow loads have been dumped into the bottom to start the drainage off. a fair bit of 20mm gravel and bits of brick will go on top.

attachicon.gifDSCF2436a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF2438a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF2439a.jpg

Right, coffee time!

Jeff

Very interesting Mr Bond ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff.

Thanks Mike. I've just logged in for the first time today, so missed your "alarm"! Like you, the early morning daylight gets me up early and raring to go with the outdoor projects.

More bricks down today, but I'll wait until Saturday before I post any more photos. They do tend to look the same if you post too many!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff,

Great work as usual mate!

Did you have time to see 'Stargazing' on TV tonight? I've put a short post in the lounge about it!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Completely escaped my attention as I was totally immersed in a good book.

Nice to have something worth watching on the TV. I'll have a look at the Dark Matter programme on iPlayer, Don.

Jeff

Evening Jeff,

It was on again tonight and tomorrow!

Quote of the week, Buzz Aldrin asked by the man on the 'One Show' - 'what do you feel about our eclipse tomorrow', he answered, 'been there done that'!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4