Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Going by the pics of the first layout jeff,this new one is going to look amazing!

Them stone walls really look spot on,following the shape of the land.

I know the scenery is a long long way off,but im looking forward to seeing pics of it already!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Going by the pics of the first layout jeff,this new one is going to look amazing!

Them stone walls really look spot on,following the shape of the land.

I know the scenery is a long long way off,but im looking forward to seeing pics of it already!

Thanks Ben.

Here's a couple of my favourite KL pics. They were taken in October 2013, just a few weeks before KL was ruthlessly dismantled.

post-13778-0-36201400-1425069065_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-70705300-1425069068_thumb.jpg

As for the stone walls. The idea was first suggested in the February 2013 Railway Modeller. DAS clay was used to make different sizes of bricks. If interested, see the KL thread, post # 6341 onwards. Here's a link:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53448-kirkby-luneside-well-and-truly-plastered/page-254

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Pics look good Jeff, I can ALMOST hear Trains running,

Nice work Matey.

Almost, Andy. They're in the distance and if you put your ear to the track....

.... getting closer, closer, closer....!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ben.

Here's a couple of my favourite KL pics. They were taken in October 2013, just a few weeks before KL was ruthlessly dismantled.

attachicon.gif100_4272a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4506a.jpg

As for the stone walls. The idea was first suggested in the February 2013 Railway Modeller. DAS clay was used to make different sizes of bricks. If interested, see the KL thread, post # 6341 onwards. Here's a link:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53448-kirkby-luneside-well-and-truly-plastered/page-254

Jeff

"Here's one I made earlier."  You didn't present Blue Peter, by any chance...?  :jester:

Or were you just an avid viewer...? 

:bye:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff:

If you haven't had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years, I'd recommend you get a booster in the near future.

David (retired microbiologist)

Thanks for the advice, David. 

The finger appears to be making a remarkable recovery, though the end is still tender to the touch. You don't realise how much you use ALL parts of your hands until something happens!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I know it's a bit late but it sounds like you've been having fun with a hammer Jeff....so, just a quick reminder...

attachicon.gifElf & Safety First.jpg

Take care

Bill

Is it just me, but I found my eyes going to the "elf" before noticing the chainsaw!

Nice work, Bill, and thanks for the message.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

"Here's one I made earlier."  You didn't present Blue Peter, by any chance...?  :jester:

Or were you just an avid viewer...? 

:bye:

I'd have liked to present Blue Peter and yes, I was an avid viewer. Noakes, Purves, singleton - then Judd. The "classic" period.

I think it was Percy Thrower on BP that got me interested in gardening!

Anyway, I'm digressing away from KL2. Next thing, some character will be discussing sausages! (Lounge, please)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice, David. 

The finger appears to be making a remarkable recovery, though the end is still tender to the touch. You don't realise how much you use ALL parts of your hands until something happens!

Jeff

Hi Jeff and All

It is quite surprising how a hand injury, no matter how minor can mess up daily activities of living. That is why the plastic surgery hand injury ward I use to work on was very important despite what nurses in other departments thought. That is until the press got hold of the news the surgeons had put a hand back on, nowhere as near a hard to job as putting a finger back on, but is a bit more dramatic.

We did notice certain trends, most injuries were not work related, DIY and gardening were high on the list. Some types of injury were seasonal, early spring we had more lawn mower accidents than other times of the year. "Well in worked last year, so I had a prod when it wouldn't start." There was also a trend of occupation, professionals and academics seemed to be more prone than tradesmen.

It was very embarrassing recently when I attended our local A&E, where some of the nurses still know me, with a DIY related bleeding finger. :blush:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Laying "grass" was all I was able to do for quite a while after breaking the top of the radius but it was the start of my green-fingered contribution to our railway modelling.  So you'll have to excuse me if I seem to be biased towards the green stuff and just sit and watch the heavy stuff.  Shovelling concrete and sawing planks are beyond my remit.  Don't do clapping either - jars the elbow which does my head in so I guess hammering and chopping will be out too.   :butcher:  Didn't quite get round to mastering those with the other hand. :jester:   The other thing that came about was all the time I had on my hands - words carefully chosen here.  :laugh:  Because I couldn't do much, joining RMweb and finding some captivating threads such as KL1/2 was a real lifesaver.  So carry on Jeff but watch those pinkies.

• Like 2

Morning Jeff, Sounds like you've got a lot of friendly support out in Lunester Land. I have George coming down for the day but I'm in a bad way,

I cricked my neck in the night,

got a touch of Golfers Elbow the other day that's giving me jip,

finger nail is all but off and is taped up to stop it snagging

right knee is throbbing from the hip pain

spits on both thumbs so there taped up. :no:  :no: :no:  

Other than that LIFES GOOD :sungum:  and now I have a circle of wood in the shed I can start to connect up ready for you and the MASTER to come down soon I hope.

Have a good day in the Shed / Garden (delete as appropriate).

The mighty Bodge. :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Hope the finger is improving.  I agree with Clive that if you have not had a recent tetanus jab then get one.  Probably the Minor Injuries unit is the best place although on a Sunday morning it will probably be filled with teenagers and children with football related injuries.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Laying "grass" was all I was able to do for quite a while after breaking the top of the radius but it was the start of my green-fingered contribution to our railway modelling.  So you'll have to excuse me if I seem to be biased towards the green stuff and just sit and watch the heavy stuff.  Shovelling concrete and sawing planks are beyond my remit.  Don't do clapping either - jars the elbow which does my head in so I guess hammering and chopping will be out too.   :butcher:  Didn't quite get round to mastering those with the other hand. :jester:   The other thing that came about was all the time I had on my hands - words carefully chosen here.  :laugh:  Because I couldn't do much, joining RMweb and finding some captivating threads such as KL1/2 was a real lifesaver.  So carry on Jeff but watch those pinkies.

Thanks, Polly. I totally agree about RMweb. A friend showed me the site in around 2009 and I lurked for a while. Actively joining up and running a thread was the best thing I could have done.

The "pinkies" are duly forewarned!!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, Sounds like you've got a lot of friendly support out in Lunester Land. I have George coming down for the day but I'm in a bad way,

I cricked my neck in the night,

got a touch of Golfers Elbow the other day that's giving me jip,

finger nail is all but off and is taped up to stop it snagging

right knee is throbbing from the hip pain

spits on both thumbs so there taped up. :no:  :no: :no:  

Other than that LIFES GOOD :sungum:  and now I have a circle of wood in the shed I can start to connect up ready for you and the MASTER to come down soon I hope.

Have a good day in the Shed / Garden (delete as appropriate).

The mighty Bodge. :O

Morning (oops, not quite) Andy.

No shed or garden work for me today. I'm going to sit in a comfy chair and read the latest book I'm ploughing through. The tip of my finger is still very tender and it's amazing how often you touch something with it.... So I'm taking away the temptation!

I'll be ordering some more timber for skirtings etc tomorrow, so hope to get that put in place during the week.

Sorry to hear of your afflictions. The thumb ones are particularly painful. My thumbs also dry up and split - I find Neutrogena hand cream an excellent solution and the skin seems to soften and recover in a day or two. Enjoy the time with George!

Jeff

Afternoon Jeff,

Joanna swears by the 'Body Shop' hemp hand cream, whilst I swear at the cost! It is a good repair cream though as, just like Andy and you, I also suffer with the winter splits! I often fill the ones on my thumbs with 'Plastic Skin' which really stings but holds the split together, thus minimising the pain and allowing you to get on with the jobs in hand!

Look forward to next weeks advances. Might be worth looking in on Bitton later as GeorgeT has been visiting today!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I too have digit injuries, namely a cut to bits thumb from a scalpel blade whilst messing around with that Black Five tender yesterday. My iPhone will no longer open with thumbprint recognition :D

• RMweb Premium

I too have digit injuries, namely a cut to bits thumb from a scalpel blade whilst messing around with that Black Five tender yesterday. My iPhone will no longer open with thumbprint recognition :D

Sorry to hear that, Jason. But it does make me feel better! At least I'm not the only incompetent who ends up damaging themself.

I did manage some one handed screwing  :angel:  :angel: this afternoon and hope to get skirtings on during the week.

I notice you were doing MORE Black 5 surgery..... And no, I will NEVER submit!  :D  :D

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Jeff,

Joanna swears by the 'Body Shop' hemp hand cream, whilst I swear at the cost! It is a good repair cream though as, just like Andy and you, I also suffer with the winter splits! I often fill the ones on my thumbs with 'Plastic Skin' which really stings but holds the split together, thus minimising the pain and allowing you to get on with the jobs in hand!

Look forward to next weeks advances. Might be worth looking in on Bitton later as GeorgeT has been visiting today!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Plastic Skin, eh?

We'll have to start referring to you as the Bionic Man....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Oh no he's at it on this thread as well - is there no escape?!

Just read your post in the Lounge. And yes, the man is relentless.

Just don't tell him - I've sold all my Black 5s..... phew!!

Jeff