Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

I hope you remembered to unplug those two chargers before it did :jester:

I don't know how many chargers are left on all the time in my place some with batteries some without, so joking aside is this a problem? Just to add they have been like that for years without incident. 

I don't know how many chargers are left on all the time in my place some with batteries some without, so joking aside is this a problem? Just to add they have been like that for years without incident. 

Did you not see the Lady on the News the other night who had her House burned down because she left her Phone charger on? She's now homeless.

• RMweb Premium

Evening Young Man, coming on nicely, are you building WAGONS between shifts out there?

Evening Andy.

I hate to admit it, but I've not done anything with the wagons - except to buy the kit I need to make them. I've not even done any reading lately, one of my favourite pastimes. Every time I sit down to do something, after being in the bunker for a stint, I fall asleep!

However, once the last section of flooring is completed, by the end of the week, I'll be focusing on the garden. I MUST put more concrete footings in - and use up the cement that's in the bunker. So I imagine I'll get going with some wagons after a few hours of brisk digging have woken me up!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know there've been occasional problems with Lithium-ion batteries/re-chargeables etc, but it seems to me the problem is often caused by people recharging non-rechargeable (eg. alkaline) batteries.

Jeff

Some of those last pics of the timber lining are looking really good.

Please don't tell us you're gonna paint it all white.

I've just enjoyed a really good programme on BBC4 about British Rail and caught glimpses of those wonderful 1950s veneered carriage interiors. The kids that came through to our school from the Hope Valley and Chinley on the train used to collect the labels that gave the names of the various woods used:  "Sapele - West Africa" was one of the more boring.

Some (real thieves) could flaunt as many as 20 odd different white melamine labels!

:no:

dh

• RMweb Premium

Very impressive work there jeff

Thats going to be a lovely comfortable warm room to watch engines running about.

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben.

It'll be nice to actually get started with the layout build. But, one thing at a time!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just enjoyed a really good programme on BBC4 about British Rail and caught glimpses of those wonderful 1950s veneered carriage interiors. The kids that came through to our school from the Hope Valley and Chinley on the train used to collect the labels that gave the names of the various woods used:  "Sapele - West Africa" was one of the more boring.

Some (real thieves) could flaunt as many as 20 odd different white melamine labels!

dh

I wonder if Jeff is going to stick them on the various pieces of wood in the bunker????

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for today's update Jeff - we'll now have to cross our fingers that the weather holds for the outside work, so you get back to the important stuff! HaHaHa as Sir Bodge would say!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

I can certainly agree to that. I haven't done any brickwork since mid-December (not that you'd expect to in Winter!) and withdrawal symptoms are creeping in.

And the cement bags are in the way, so must be used!

Additionally, I need a bit of a financial break. I've spent a fair bit of dosh over the last 8 months on the garage/garden and need to draw financial breath!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, please don't leave any kind of battery charger on unattended! Both my laptop cables have set alight - one at school in the dining hall (had to pull the plug out and throw it out the window!), and the other at home.

Note these were both official battery packs, not cheap ones either. Lucky I was there both occasions - needless to say I always unplug/turn off stuff when I'm not using it. It's a good habit to get into.

And back to the garage conversion - it's looking really great, Jeff!

I honestly have no idea how you are able to keep momentum, nor how you can go at such a fast rate.

You'll have trains running in no time at this rate!

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did you not see the Lady on the News the other night who had her House burned down because she left her Phone charger on? She's now homeless.

In lieu of a Scary button.... :scared: :scared: :scared:

Wood work coming along heaps, Jeff.  A lot faster than the few inches of ivy on Camel Quay goods shed.  At least you don't have to wait for the glue to dry. :mosking:

dh

On the plus side, white would make the living working space brighter or go for (pale) sky blue as a backdrop for all those KL2 photos that we will all be demanding impatiently waiting for and photoshop clouds and stuff in later for added value effect?

Hat... :fan:

coat...

paint chart...  :read:  ....need it for ours.  :laugh:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff,

I was going to say that wood doesn't grow on trees but............

Kind regards,

Jock.

I wish money did!

Imagine the size of bunker I could plan and build! There might never be a layout inside it, but years of playing with wood....  :O  :O  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes, please don't leave any kind of battery charger on unattended! Both my laptop cables have set alight - one at school in the dining hall (had to pull the plug out and throw it out the window!), and the other at home.

Note these were both official battery packs, not cheap ones either. Lucky I was there both occasions - needless to say I always unplug/turn off stuff when I'm not using it. It's a good habit to get into.

And back to the garage conversion - it's looking really great, Jeff!

I honestly have no idea how you are able to keep momentum, nor how you can go at such a fast rate.

You'll have trains running in no time at this rate!

Neither have I! I just start and don't want to stop. Once I do stop, I feel knackered. So best just to continue....

I would genuinely be pleased if I had a loco running by mid-summer. On KL it took about 8 months from starting the LAYOUT build to first power. I'd like to cut that down to 3-4 months here. So if I get to starting the baseboard etc stage by April, that means a target of July-August. 

Always best to aim high.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Folks, thanks for the suggestions regarding the walls etc. The ceiling will be white and the walls magnolia. As for backscenes, Jason is closest with (on average) a lot of cloud cover. 

And as for the fells. Well, I have my own in mind - an improved version of what was on KL.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking Good Jeff, time for a sit down and a nice peaceful / restful evening in front of a nice log fire building kits. :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

Restful evening means I'm likely to fall asleep!

Just come in from the bunker. A couple more pics...

More underlay fitted:

post-13778-0-28496300-1424889776_thumb.jpg

And here's the current situation when "tiredness stopped play"!!

post-13778-0-53435800-1424889780_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

Looking good Jeff, I had a slight panic attack when Polly said in post 692 "take the Fell's from Mike's Dent layout" - I searched for the disagree button which would have been my first use of it but to no avail, but then you settled the matter amicably in post 695 and I can sleep easy tonight. Talking of which Jason should be round sometime soon so will be playing trains tonight for sure!

Keep up the good work mate.

• Like 4