Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

A couple of pics for the cognoscenti....

The RCD area is screened away - I'll fit hinges on the panel eventually. There's 75mm of insulation fixed to the rear of the door.

attachicon.gifDSCF2266a.jpg

The clear working area in the bunker has expanded as resources have been used up, and now extends to half the bunker area:

attachicon.gifDSCF2268a.jpg

Apologies for the scattering due to dust on the lens.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Looking excellent dear boy, that second pic shows just what a wonderful "playroom" you are creating, keep them pics coming, can't have too many.

Jealous of Cumbria 

• RMweb Premium

Humm, didn't I suggest insulating the floor? And was poo-pooed!

To think all I had to do was to mention 4x2s and Jeff would have jumped at it.

Next time I'll mention 6x2s when he's making the L girders, and he'll be right there........

Andy G

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Humm, didn't I suggest insulating the floor? And was poo-pooed!

To think all I had to do was to mention 4x2s and Jeff would have jumped at it.

Next time I'll mention 6x2s when he's making the L girders, and he'll be right there........

Andy G

Credit where credit's due, yes, you did suggest insulating the floor, Andy. Both here and when I built KL. The magic catalyst was "joisting"!!

Wait until you see my 6" x 3" L-girders.... Probably be May before I start on them...

Jeff

• Like 4

So _that's_ where the trees are all heading that I have to avoid in the morning... (the 0600 departure now on track for KL2, via Mill Bay, Panama, Plymouth...)

Again, I would be looking at a "mushroom" type layout, if it was me and I was going to end up flooring the whole room anyway... it might allow for a lot more space than you are going to get "just" from what you are going to do.  I don't have enough height to manage it properly, (the lego is already at the celing height, both at the heating duct and elsewhere)  but if you could, it might work out well.  (and a much easier duck under than what you are currently going to end up with- even if it only has to be 5'3" to clear your head...unlike mine, which I tried to fit into a 5'9" space this week & have the marks to prove it- steel doorways are not very forgiving !)

James

Edited by peach james
  • Like 2

So _that's_ where the trees are all heading that I have to avoid in the morning... (the 0600 departure now on track for KL2, via Mill Bay, Panama, Plymouth...)

Again, I would be looking at a "mushroom" type layout, if it was me and I was going to end up flooring the whole room anyway... it might allow for a lot more space than you are going to get "just" from what you are going to do.  I don't have enough height to manage it properly, (the lego is already at the celing height, both at the heating duct and elsewhere)  but if you could, it might work out well.  (and a much easier duck under than what you are currently going to end up with- even if it only has to be 5'3" to clear your head...unlike mine, which I tried to fit into a 5'9" space this week & have the marks to prove it- steel doorways are not very forgiving !)

James

What Jeff hasn't told us James, is that the Forestry Commission have now established an armed perimeter guard around Kielder Forest in Northumberland (The largest man-made woodland in England) in case you guys run out before he finishes! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

What Jeff hasn't told us James, is that the Forestry Commission have now established an armed perimeter guard around Kielder Forest in Northumberland (The largest man-made woodland in England) in case you guys run out before he finishes! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Regards

Bill

Yes, Bill. Probably true! But I have my sneaky sources for wood - and my stockpile should be adequate for a little while!

It's a bit ironic that Mike, the guy who gently ribs me more than most about my "love" of wood, was the one to suggest the flooring. I've already planned out the wood and insulation I'll need and an order for the first half of it (so I can do half the bunker, then move stuff to clear space for the other half) will go in on Monday 23rd Feb.

Jeff

• Like 4

Yes, Bill. Probably true! But I have my sneaky sources for wood - and my stockpile should be adequate for a little while!

It's a bit ironic that Mike, the guy who gently ribs me more than most about my "love" of wood, was the one to suggest the flooring. I've already planned out the wood and insulation I'll need and an order for the first half of it (so I can do half the bunker, then move stuff to clear space for the other half) will go in on Monday 23rd Feb.

Jeff

Jeff,

Pot,Kettle and Black springs to mind with Mike.   :O

Loving this thread though,most interesting.

Regards,Derek.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning James.

I've planned out the L-girder arrangement, joistings etc as well as I can, given that in-situ track positioning can change things - and I'm looking about 3-4 months ahead. The only major variable I haven't decided upon is the height of the baseboards.

I was at Jason's last week and his layout room includes the wonderful Bacup and his ongoing project - The Mill in EM gauge. The latter is designed to be portable for exhibitions and is (roughly) about 4' x 2'. What struck me, however, was the height of the baseboard - sat on its trestle table. It looked high to me and I guessed around 140cm. A tape measure showed it to be 125cm. Umm. Maybe I'm shrinking.... I'd thought I'd go for 130cm, but not sure now - even if I build a platform in the operators area.

Plenty to think about.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Didn't you see in the news that the Russian's were brought to the peace talks with the threat of sanctions of exporting Siberian timber to some bloke called Jeff.

• RMweb Premium

I thought he was GROWING his own plantation in the back garden ready for KL 3.5. :O  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  

Oh sh*t - you've sussed me out. The seedlings went in shortly after the house move!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Pot,Kettle and Black springs to mind with Mike.   :O

Loving this thread though,most interesting.

Regards,Derek.

Hi Derek.

Andy warned me that the pages would stack up - as on KL. Page 21 and only half way through the garage conversion!

Glad it's of interest. With the excellent contributors (myself not included) I hope it will be!

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Derek.

Andy warned me that the pages would stack up - as on KL. Page 21 and only half way through the garage conversion!

Glad it's of interest. With the excellent contributors (myself not included) I hope it will be!

Jeff

Jeff,

very interesting and illuminating including the good  Banter.

Regards,Derek.

• Like 4

Afternoon Jeff,

Like the sound of the latest flooring plan - I thought when Mike mooted it, that the thermal efficiency would appeal to a 'Physicsman'! My eldest grandson works as a chippie and when they fit stud work base rails to a concrete floor, they use a rechargeable nail gun for ease and speed. He pointed out that you don't need time-consuming/complicated joints where the timbers meet as they are all firmly fixed to the floor! Perhaps it would be worth hiring one for the short time you would need it?

Keep up the very neat work! I'm really looking forward to the next wagon tutorial, particularly the painting which is an area I need to brush up on HaHa!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the painting tutorial too, as it's new to me - not having built any kits since my younger Airfix days (planes and spacecraft models).

No bunker work today. I've just been out to buy the sockets, switches, wiring and fluorescent tubes for the bunker. As for the wood - no fancy joints, just nailed/screwed together. The frames can be fixed to each other and secured to the side walls. I'm going to fill the 4 x 2 frames with insulation board and put a 12mm ply top on them. Then the top covering, which I'll show when it's all done. Anyway, that's for the week after next.

Hopefully, by the end of February the bunker will be ready for painting and finishing touches. THEN the real fun starts!

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

very interesting and illuminating including the good  Banter.

Regards,Derek.

I think the banter is the principal reason why the Lunester threads work so well. Nobody has an agenda - and most of us are very like-minded.

I expect a lot of it is an age thing. Though there are a few Lunesters under 45!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

We're not all geriatric old gits you know.... some of us haven't reached 38 yet!

I hope that you didn't go to a superstore to get your sparky fittings.... There are much cheaper places for them. Toolstation (free delivery over a tenner) and Screwfix are amongst the cheapest there are.

Now just remind me Jeff, where is the loft hatch for accress to the insulated roof storage area?

Andy G

• Like 4

Andy,

you don't realise it's all down to Lateral Thinking.He removes several roof tiles and installs a Velux window. :boast:

Ah but that can then only be locked and opened from inside the Loft space?  :scratchhead:

As a 68 year old I will leave  Jeff to answer  the Question.  I need to lay down for an hour - all that excessive thinking. :senile:

• RMweb Premium

We're not all geriatric old gits you know.... some of us haven't reached 38 yet!

I hope that you didn't go to a superstore to get your sparky fittings.... There are much cheaper places for them. Toolstation (free delivery over a tenner) and Screwfix are amongst the cheapest there are.

Now just remind me Jeff, where is the loft hatch for accress to the insulated roof storage area?

Andy G

You see, you think that in my dotage I'll have forgotten to fit the hatch - don't you?

Ha, ha - I may remember being 37 once. So here it is:

post-13778-0-51114400-1424015756_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

you don't realise it's all down to Lateral Thinking.He removes several roof tiles and installs a Velux window. :boast:

Ah but that can then only be locked and opened from inside the Loft space?  :scratchhead:

As a 68 year old I will leave  Jeff to answer  the Question.  I need to lay down for an hour - all that excessive thinking. :senile:

Good bit of lateral thinking, that! Wish I'd thought of it!

I, too, need to lie down.

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi all,

In my defence being a joiner I should love the usage of timber (to sustain a living - not a forest) BUT I had not considered the fact that Jeff would plump for 4x2's  when I was thinking of 2x2's but I stand by my plan none-the-less. My den has the substructure but not the workmats, I chose laminate so I can roll around on my swivel chair hehehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!! And the mess wipes up easily too - undercoat grey up to now!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

In my defence being a joiner I should love the usage of timber (to sustain a living - not a forest) BUT I had not considered the fact that Jeff would plump for 4x2's  when I was thinking of 2x2's but I stand by my plan none-the-less. My den has the substructure but not the workmats, I chose laminate so I can roll around on my swivel chair hehehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!! And the mess wipes up easily too - undercoat grey up to now!

You may be surprised in a couple of weeks as I'm not putting workmats on top of the ply heee heee heee...!!

One annoyance these days if that "2 x 2" tends to be 45mm x 45mm and "4 x 2" is 95mm x 45mm. A bit irritating for nicely fitting 50mm or 100mm thick insulation board. Unless you get your joists specifically cut to thickness.

Jeff

• Like 2

You may be surprised in a couple of weeks as I'm not putting workmats on top of the ply heee heee heee...!!

One annoyance these days if that "2 x 2" tends to be 45mm x 45mm and "4 x 2" is 95mm x 45mm. A bit irritating for nicely fitting 50mm or 100mm thick insulation board. Unless you get your joists specifically cut to thickness.

Jeff

You never know, one of these days there will be proper metric equivalent material sizes. I'm not holding my breath though

• Like 1

When I was putting up stud partition walls in the house a few years ago I would buy 4"x2" sawn timber which was finished more or less 4"x2". Ok the surface finish was a bit rough but it was getting covered up with plasterboard so didn't matter.

Ray.

When I was putting up stud partition walls in the house a few years ago I would buy 4"x2" sawn timber which was finished more or less 4"x2". Ok the surface finish was a bit rough but it was getting covered up with plasterboard so didn't matter.

Ray.

Hi Ray

That was what we all used until this stuff called 'scant' arrived which seems to have taken its place for stud work.

Jeff,

I always leave a void between insulation and floorboards eg: if using 4x2 fit 75mm Kingspan this gives you 15mm airflow space.