Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Sorry Jason, I don't want to offend but the pedant in me forces me to remark that MEK does NOT melt plastic, it DISSOLVES it to make a solution and the plastic comes out of solution as the MEK evaporates. You can only melt it by heating it up!

This is a very common mistake, I am a chemist so it shouts at me when I see it.

Edward

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning folks. It's currently -2C outside and I've got the heaters on. A change of plan today, with the bunker getting full priority as the ground below about 30cm is rock hard - so trench digging can wait!

If you like photos of walls, there may be a couple later!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A photo showing that I have actually done something today! Bit like an iceberg where you only see about 10% of what's there!

Day 28 of the conversion....

post-13778-0-61066300-1423588745_thumb.jpg

Anyway, this is the last section of walling. A couple of sections of ceiling to do and then I can have a rest. And build a load of wagon kits!

Jeff

• Like 8

Morning Jeff hope all is well.

Your doing a grand job on the bunker. Just take your time buddy.

Them wagon kits are looking good you have a good teacher there lol. I enjoy building the park side and airfix kits. I have just built 15 airfix tankers for a future layout. But as I say keep happy buddy.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff hope all is well.

Your doing a grand job on the bunker. Just take your time buddy.

Them wagon kits are looking good you have a good teacher there lol. I enjoy building the park side and airfix kits. I have just built 15 airfix tankers for a future layout. But as I say keep happy buddy.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

I'm taking my time, but find it difficult to stop working as I'm enjoying myself. I suppose getting tired controls things!

As for the kits.... I'll have a break in a few days when my Eileen's Emporium and Parkside orders come through. You can guess what I'll be doing!!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Today's update.

The garage door area is nearly complete. You can see the RCD access hole on the first pic. I'll build a cover (fitted with insulation at rear) to slot into that.

post-13778-0-69457500-1423670034_thumb.jpg

I then decided to man-handle the 7th ply sheet onto the ceiling by myself. It was a bit awkward - especially when I got it almost in place and realised I'd got it upside down! - but I got there in the end.

post-13778-0-74508800-1423670038_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-36771300-1423670042_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Jeff. Does it make a difference which way up the ply is?

It does if the holes drilled in the sheet don't line up with the joists.

Mike

Got it in one, Mike.

Yes, I draw on the position of joists and supports and pre-drill the ply. As the joists and supports aren't symmetric, having the damn thing upside down puts everything totally out of alignment.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff. Getting closer to starting the build of KL2.

Just one question. Have you warned those in the north of the delays on the network when the rainforest arrives? :jester:  :jester:

Yes Duncan. CloseR, but not necessarily close.

I've got to seal the concrete floor, fit skirting, paint the walls and ceiling - after the ceiling-wall joins are tidied up, get the electrics sorted and then in with carpets - before a piece of baseboard framing is cut.

It's going to be a nightmare emptying the bunker for the sealing and carpeting, but it'll be done - eventually.

But every job does mean the deforestation gets nearer!!

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Jeff!

Just a thought (I do have them occasionally, even at my age!), but how weatherproof are those roller doors? After the stirling job you've done it would be a pity to see rainwater getting in through them! I'm not trying to worry you or anything, it just crossed my mind on the spur!

Regards

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff!

Just a thought (I do have them occasionally, even at my age!), but how weatherproof are those roller doors? After the stirling job you've done it would be a pity to see rainwater getting in through them! I'm not trying to worry you or anything, it just crossed my mind on the spur!

Regards

Bill

That's a good point, Bill.

Rain water has never (so far) got under the door, but here's the arrangement I have:

post-13778-0-29617900-1423724083_thumb.jpg

The 4 x 2 is sat on a length of DPC that is smothered with sealant along its length. Hopefully that would stop any water ingress.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff. Getting closer to starting the build of KL2.

Just one question. Have you warned those in the north of the delays on the network when the rainforest arrives? :jester:  :jester:

Yes Duncan. CloseR, but not necessarily close.

I've got to seal the concrete floor, fit skirting, paint the walls and ceiling - after the ceiling-wall joins are tidied up, get the electrics sorted and then in with carpets - before a piece of baseboard framing is cut.

It's going to be a nightmare emptying the bunker for the sealing and carpeting, but it'll be done - eventually.

But every job does mean the deforestation gets nearer!!

Jeff

Just been catching up Jeff. You have been busy.

Some of my neighbors wish me to thank you on their behalf as the local mill is back up to 24/7 round the clock shifts! This is in anticipation of the eminent construction of KL2 I believe.

Shaun.

PS... I can also get you wood screws in boxes of 10000 at cost! Or loose by the pound.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just been catching up Jeff. You have been busy.

Some of my neighbors wish me to thank you on their behalf as the local mill is back up to 24/7 round the clock shifts! This is in anticipation of the eminent construction of KL2 I believe.

Shaun.

PS... I can also get you wood screws in boxes of 10000 at cost! Or loose by the pound.

You lot really make me chuckle. Pass on my best to your Oregon friends. I try to do my best for those abroad the UK!!

Ironically, I've just run out of 3" screws: off to B&Q in a minute to re-stock.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I was going to add that trains should be running over the Siskiyou pass again soon but thought that might be pushing it!

Here's our local mill with the stocks of 2x4s and 2x6s awaiting shipment. 

post-8964-0-86706100-1423725645.jpg

Don't take too much notice of me Jeff most of that is for Grim Up North!  

Shaun

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Seems you have made the walls and ceiling nice and insulated, why not lay some insulation on the floor? You'll find that lots of heat will disappear into the concrete slab. Seems a shame not too. I wish I had insulated my exchange floors, and it will also remove the dust issues. Then with green chipboard over the top, the bunker will be as snug as a bug in a rug.....

Andy G

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Seems you have made the walls and ceiling nice and insulated, why not lay some insulation on the floor? You'll find that lots of heat will disappear into the concrete slab. Seems a shame not too. I wish I had insulated my exchange floors, and it will also remove the dust issues. Then with green chipboard over the top, the bunker will be as snug as a bug in a rug.....

Andy G

Hi Andy.

I'm going to do the same as last time. Seal the concrete floor and then fit really good underlay and a hard-wearing carpet on the top.

You're right about the flooring. Just the sight of something on top of the concrete makes you feel warm!

Jeff

• Like 1

Morning Jeff,

I'm about to start on some wagon building soon, and I will use MEK as recommended by Jason but I have a couple of simpleton's questions : I noticed the bottle was sitting in a holder and wondered if they could be bought or is it home made? I also notice that the brush was lying on the mat - does it dry out and clog quickly, and how do you clean or wash it out? Lastly, does the open bottle give off an appreciable amount of fumes as Joanna hates chemical smells and I intend working in my study! I used a small pot of Hornby cement when rebuilding my great grandson's remote control helicopter yesterday and got the comment 'do you have to make such a smell when I've got clothes drying on the airer in the next room?'

Sorry to be such a nuisance but all I used when I modelled years ago was the Airfix stringy cement!

You really ought to be careful manoeuvering such heavy ply sheets single handedly - the last thing we need is you injured! Take care and,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff,

I'm about to start on some wagon building soon, and I will use MEK as recommended by Jason but I have a couple of simpleton's questions : I noticed the bottle was sitting in a holder and wondered if they could be bought or is it home made? I also notice that the brush was lying on the mat - does it dry out and clog quickly, and how do you clean or wash it out? Lastly, does the open bottle give off an appreciable amount of fumes as Joanna hates chemical smells and I intend working in my study! I used a small pot of Hornby cement when rebuilding my great grandson's remote control helicopter yesterday and got the comment 'do you have to make such a smell when I've got clothes drying on the airer in the next room?'

Sorry to be such a nuisance but all I used when I modelled years ago was the Airfix stringy cement!

You really ought to be careful manoeuvering such heavy ply sheets single handedly - the last thing we need is you injured! Take care and,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock. I was about to say "morning", but time flies by in the bunker and we're now past noon.

Answers to your questions.

1) The holder was home made from plastikard by Jason. I'll just sit my bottle on a level surface!

2) The brush normally sat in a hole drilled in the holder. If it dried out, dipping it into the MEK solvent would then re-dissolve the residues - so no worries there.

3) I didn't notice any smell unless I put my nose over the bottle. Maybe we were immune due to the background vapours caused by too much curry eating?!

You're right about the ply sheets. It's not the weight, it's the size and it's certainly easier if my brother helps to move them!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If you sit the bottle on a level surface then before long, you will knock it over; it has happened to all of us and when it does go, it'll invariably spill MEK all over what you have been working on, ruining it. If you don't want to make a holder out of Plastikard, place the bottle in an old mug as this will reduce the chance of tipping it over. Alternatively, sellotape the bottle to something.

• Like 1