Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Yes, Mick. but I'm NOT an engineer. As a scientist, brought up and raised on SI units, I should be quoting lengths in metres. To be honest, when it comes to woodwork and bricklaying, I'd just as soon quote good old feet and inches. Everyone of a certain age has a feel for Imperial, don't they.

I mean, 6 inches or 15cm. Take your choice!  :angel:  :no:

Jeff

The building industry is still quite quirky as you know.  8ft x 4ft sheets of ply come in millimetre thicknesses. Oh, and sausages are bought by the lb and priced in kilo's :senile:

• RMweb Gold

Well said, Bill! My philosophy exactly. My approach is that if you build it "properly" (not the " ""!!) then you only have to build it once and, hopefully, it'll serve its purpose.

Of course, I took the same approach with KL and it was the devil's worst nightmare trying to dismantle it!!

Jeff

Jeff have had the same problem - it will take my weight plus but when it needed an alteration it was a devil to change so I left a bit behind and built in front of it.

Peter 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update for Andy's benefit........

Arrived at Jason's at 8pm. Coffee, looking at The Mill, magnificent curry at the Sharma. 

Jason has just pretended to be Father Christmas and plonked a bag full of Parkside kits in front of me. About to have more coffee and look at said kits.

I anticipate there'll be some photos of my ongoing "efforts" tomorrow!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

These days you need to think of metric feet. Timber is sold in 300mm units so it either 2.4m or 2.7m not quite 8ft or not quite 9ft. Plasterboard comes in 2.4x1.2sheets but the Sterling board is in 8ftx4ft sheets so for a flat roof you cannot place the joists to suit both. Plain bonkers

Don

These days you need to think of metric feet. Timber is sold in 300mm units so it either 2.4m or 2.7m not quite 8ft or not quite 9ft. Plasterboard comes in 2.4x1.2sheets but the Sterling board is in 8ftx4ft sheets so for a flat roof you cannot place the joists to suit both. Plain bonkers

Don

You would have thought that 40 plus years on from going metric we would be all sorted now.

Why people cannot accept a far superior and easier measuring system is beyond me. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

You would have thought that 40 plus years on from going metric we would be all sorted now.

Why people cannot accept a far superior and easier measuring system is beyond me. :scratchhead:

There  is nothing easier than 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 22 yards to a cricket wicket chain..........

277.42 cubic inches to a gallon......... :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

I AGREE ENTIRLEY Mick, stick with good old BRITISH FEET AND INCHES, that's what I say. hahahahhah :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  

• RMweb Premium

Ok boys, enough of the measurement stuff! Back to railways!

First batch of pics...

Part of the goody bag that Jason assembled for me:

post-13778-0-49551500-1423322619_thumb.jpg

The chosen"starter" - a 16t minerals:

post-13778-0-37144300-1423322626_thumb.jpg

The body shell assembled:

post-13778-0-45331600-1423322649_thumb.jpg

The tutor in action - making the same model in parallel:

post-13778-0-80493900-1423322656_thumb.jpg

More shortly...

Jeff

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The chassis with a few small mods:

post-13778-0-02597100-1423322882_thumb.jpg

Adding lead to the base for stability purposes:

post-13778-0-12453000-1423322893_thumb.jpg

The first wagon is almost completed. I've another 6 to get on with. We've also been to Frizinghall Models in Bradford - a variety of stuff acquired.

Another curry tonight! More later.

Jeff

Edit: Lanarkshire buffers fitted after the old ones were removed and drilled out.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Metric has some advantages but actually it would have been better if we had had another finger on each hand  a duodecimal numbering system is easily divisible by 2,3,4,6 much more convenient. Or one less as Octal easily converts to binary. I agree that having a common base throughout makes sense but decimal is not so convenient.

Don

Ok boys, enough of the measurement stuff! Back to railways!

First batch of pics...

Part of the goody bag that Jason assembled for me:

attachicon.gifDSCF2204a.jpg

The chosen"starter" - a 16t minerals:

attachicon.gifDSCF2206a.jpg

The body shell assembled:

attachicon.gifDSCF2208a.jpg

The tutor in action - making the same model in parallel:

attachicon.gifDSCF2209a.jpg

More shortly...

Jeff

Can I take it that the Grapes in Pic 1 are for when your rushed to A & E after slicing your finger with the Scalpel. hahah.

• RMweb Premium

Can I take it that the Grapes in Pic 1 are for when your rushed to A & E after slicing your finger with the Scalpel. hahah.

Oops - forgot they were there. I DID suffer a small injury earlier - see pic - but it was only a smaller pic.....

post-13778-0-15633300-1423330548_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Two wagons now built. Ok, they need numbering, 3-links and a paint job, but it's a start.

post-13778-0-98670200-1423343137_thumb.jpg

The wagons on Bacup with Jason's Austerity. The wheelbarrow man is so shocked at the state of the 16 tonners that he's been caught in the act of falling backwards!!

post-13778-0-62278800-1423343147_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-12055400-1423343151_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 12

Evening Jeff,

Laid low with a nasty bug, and off to daughters in Epping for the day tomorrow, but hope to catch up on Monday with what looks like an educational and fun visit - you simply can't help but admire Jason's workmanship and I'm particularly interested as I have several to produce!

Keep at it,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm... to me it looks rather that he's not done the assembled bit ;)

Very true. Hee hee - I wouldn't let him!

It's been good fun. My intention is to build another 4 or 5 wagons and bring them down for a painting and link-fitting in a few weeks time.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Jeff. I am not sure if it applies to the kits you are building but I found with Slaters wagons in 0 that It was easier to fit the sprung Buffers and three links to the ends before assembling the body. I found it worth while cutting clearance at the back of the ends of the solebars to allow the buffer to work freely.

Don