Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Cold and snowy this morning. 2 heaters on in the bunker to remove the chill.

A couple of "pretty" views...

attachicon.gifDSCF2145a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF2146a.jpg

Jeff

Hi Jeff and All

Seeing Jeff's photos and being in the cold all day (no snow here yet) has made me think about the task Jeff is undertaking.

When it is cold the man shed is not inviting, will have to insulate it for next winter goes through my mind. Come the summer when operating the railway wearing a T shirt, shorts and flip-flops with the doors and windows wide open the thought of spending time grafting away fitting insulation seems to disappear. :unsure: :unsure:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I thought you had installed garden sculptures then realised it was the conservatory roof finials hahaha......Funny but true! :jester:

Yes Mike, I see what you mean. I may be into some of the finer things in life but sculptures (or those gnomes that I saw Andy had in his garden) aren't for me!

Honest....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff and All

Seeing Jeff's photos and being in the cold all day (no snow here yet) has made me think about the task Jeff is undertaking.

When it is cold the man shed is not inviting, will have to insulate it for next winter goes through my mind. Come the summer when operating the railway wearing a T shirt, shorts and flip-flops with the doors and windows wide open the thought of spending time grafting away fitting insulation seems to disappear. :unsure: :unsure:

The wonderful thing about the insulation is that on a scorching day you can step into your man shed and into a pleasant ambient temperature - rather nice.

I started the last conversion in August 2011 when the interior bunker temperature touched 30C. Very unpleasant. By contrast, working at 2C last week wasn't so bad - once you got started you soon warmed up!

Talking of insulation. All the walls are now completed - just the second garage door to do. But I'll spend the next 2-3 days doing another set of ceiling sections. By the end of that time things should start to improve, thermally, in the bunker.

Jeff

ps sorry - no bunker pics today. Forgot to take any as I rearranged the piles of rubbish in there!

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff, looking really good mate, and as for the gnomes, there well gone,

I've never been a fan of gnomes, but, like anything, they appeal to some. At least they sit in your garden and don't complain about the cold weather!

No more snow here but presently -2C. Just switched the heaterS on in the bunker. Bit "brisk" in there! But there's ceiling insulation to get on with so I'll give it an hour, put another sweatshirt on and off I go!

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

That's what I like to hear, a man with no excuses, just gets on with it, a thoroughly "good egg!".

Oh, and don't be throwing any offcuts away!

Totally agree with that. The timber has been used to its full extent and I've already got 3 plastic containers full of useful offcuts from the insulation board. 

The ceiling work is going ok. Maybe a photo or two when I get the next ply sheet fitted.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've been in the bunker for 8 hours today. I now have 3 sheets of ply on the ceiling.

Fitting cross joists, installing insulation board and getting the ply into place is so much harder than doing the walls. I'm knackered - probably more tired than on any of the previous 18 days of work, so far.

Anyway, here are 3 pics to give a flavour of things. Sorry about the lightbulb - I just couldn't be bothered to re-site it just for the photos.

post-13778-0-57880800-1422730256_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-81311700-1422730260_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-26488000-1422730265_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 12

Looking good mate.

You did, not only miss a good show, but having a real laugh with Jason, Mike and his ENTOURAGE plus George and many others that came by to see us today, we have another day of it tomorrow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Do you have a couple of these to hold the boards in place while you fix them.

Mike

Hi Mike.

I've nothing as refined as those. My solution is to use 4 x 8foot lengths of 4x2! I lift one end of the ply into position and wedge it in place with 2 of the lengths. Then manoeuvre the other end and - after a lot of fiddling around - get the other 2 in place at the other end!

I pre-drill the ply prior to lifting. It's then just a case of screwing it onto the ceiling timber. Sounds simple, though the last of today's sheets took 15 mins to get into the correct position and another 45 mins to fit all the screws (about 30 of them). Of course, if my brother was on hand I could use him as an "intelligent" prop!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Looking good mate.

You did, not only miss a good show, but having a real laugh with Jason, Mike and his ENTOURAGE plus George and many others that came by to see us today, we have another day of it tomorrow.

I'm glad you all had a good time. And more to look forward to tomorrow - with lots of photos in the Lounge, I hope?

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Mike.

I've nothing as refined as those. My solution is to use 4 x 8foot lengths of 4x2! I lift one end of the ply into position and wedge it in place with 2 of the lengths. Then manoeuvre the other end and - after a lot of fiddling around - get the other 2 in place at the other end!

I pre-drill the ply prior to lifting. It's then just a case of screwing it onto the ceiling timber. Sounds simple, though the last of today's sheets took 15 mins to get into the correct position and another 45 mins to fit all the screws (about 30 of them). Of course, if my brother was on hand I could use him as an "intelligent" prop!

Jeff

HOW MANY PER SHEET? :O  :O :o  :O  :O  :O  :O  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  

• RMweb Premium

It is because you are working with your arms above your head Jeff, it is infinitely more tiring than digging holes....

Yes Mick. And since I'm only 5'6" my reach isn't that great, either. I enjoy hill walking and the dozens of times I'm climbing up and down a ladder is good training for later this year.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

HOW MANY PER SHEET? :O  :O :o  :O  :O  :O  :O  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you.....

Actually, I normally average around 35 per sheet - edges, cross-supports and joists.

The last thing I want is an 8' x 4' sheet falling onto KL station - especially if I'm under it when it happens! But Andy - you know me - I DO like to over-engineer everything!

No more ply on the ceiling for a few days, though. I've run out of ply and I'm very low on the screws I use. Still plenty of insulation board, so I'll carry on preparing some more of the ceiling over the next couple of days.

Jeff

• Like 5

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you.....

Actually, I normally average around 35 per sheet - edges, cross-supports and joists.

The last thing I want is an 8' x 4' sheet falling onto KL station - especially if I'm under it when it happens! But Andy - you know me - I DO like to over-engineer everything!

No more ply on the ceiling for a few days, though. I've run out of ply and I'm very low on the screws I use. Still plenty of insulation board, so I'll carry on preparing some more of the ceiling over the next couple of days.

Jeff

I BET THERE  4 INCH SCREWS AS WELL, hahhahaha :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead: :scratchhead:  :boast:  :boast:  :scared:  

• RMweb Premium

I BET THERE  4 INCH SCREWS AS WELL, hahhahaha :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead: :scratchhead:      :scared:  

Don't laugh - BUT THERE ARE!!

I usually have a stock of 1 1/2" or 2" screws for these situations, but ran out with about a dozen screws left to fit. Since I've a couple of large bags of 4" screws.... in they went!

If it had been a bag of 6" screws, so be it!

Are you still using those 9" nails?  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see all that progress Jeff. It is surprising how many screw you do need for an 8x4 sheet (depends on joist spacing of course). I notice it looks like you have a double hip roof on the conservatory so there is probably a box gutter allong the back. They work fine with rain but can fill with heavy snow. Something to watch.

Don

Morning Jeff,

I've been enjoying the blow by blow account and marvel at your self control in resisting the temptation to say that you've been 'screwing' for several hours! (Hat and coat to hand!).

Seriously, it is going to be a great space in which to work/play - I suspect your brother is going to have to get used to being on his own a lot of the time!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see all that progress Jeff. It is surprising how many screw you do need for an 8x4 sheet (depends on joist spacing of course). I notice it looks like you have a double hip roof on the conservatory so there is probably a box gutter allong the back. They work fine with rain but can fill with heavy snow. Something to watch.

Don

Don, you're correct regarding the guttering. Thanks for the pointer - I'll keep an eye on that if we ever get a heavy snow deluge. As you say, the system is very effective with running water.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff,

I've been enjoying the blow by blow account and marvel at your self control in resisting the temptation to say that you've been 'screwing' for several hours! (Hat and coat to hand!).

Seriously, it is going to be a great space in which to work/play - I suspect your brother is going to have to get used to being on his own a lot of the time!

Kind regards,

Jock.

I may have resisted the temptation on here but the phrase has been used on a number of occasions in text conversations! I mean, how am I supposed to respond when asked what I've been doing all day? "Applying screws into their relevant receptacles" doesn't sound quite right!

More insulation today (no screwing - no screws). It's satisfying to gradually reduce the outside air inflow into the bunker as I work my way around the place. Maybe one day it'll actually be warm in there!

Jeff

• Like 3

That's about right for the # of screws- I was told 36 screws per sheet of 4x8 ft, so that sounds right on.  I have one of these: 

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/11-ft-drywall-hoist/A-p8415754e

which works a charm for lifting and lowering the drywall to cut it and put it in the right place.  I use a milk crate to stand on, I'm 6'0", so need about 18" lift off the floor to make it more comfortable to get the screws in.  I think I used 1 5/8" screws for most of the drywall.  (I bought a box of 5000, and still have about 1/2 of them left).  Before you lot start into me, I did 900 sq ft in my addition and then about another 500 sq ft inside the main house over the last couple years, so buying tools to do it easily made sense.

(you are welcome to borrow the lift Jeff, but the postage may be excessive...I think Shaun is the only one I could get it to for a reasonable amount of time...)

James

Edited by peach james
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

That's about right for the # of screws- I was told 36 screws per sheet of 4x8 ft, so that sounds right on.  I have one of these: 

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/11-ft-drywall-hoist/A-p8415754e

which works a charm for lifting and lowering the drywall to cut it and put it in the right place.  I use a milk crate to stand on, I'm 6'0", so need about 18" lift off the floor to make it more comfortable to get the screws in.  I think I used 1 5/8" screws for most of the drywall.  (I bought a box of 5000, and still have about 1/2 of them left).  Before you lot start into me, I did 900 sq ft in my addition and then about another 500 sq ft inside the main house over the last couple years, so buying tools to do it easily made sense.

(you are welcome to borrow the lift Jeff, but the postage may be excessive...I think Shaun is the only one I could get it to for a reasonable amount of time...)

James

Much cheaper than paying for help James. First time we put any up it was Marion using a broom to hold the other end up and it was nails rather than screws in those days.

Don

• Like 2