Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the update and ideas, Alan. Looks like organised chaos - with a lot of progress being made.

I remember the enclosed yard from your previous project and it was one of the reasons I extended the top of the Fell back around 30cm on KL. I'm not going to do that this time - unless the new Fell looks a bit puny when I build it! Access to the new yard is my priority and I do like Peter's idea.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

What having the fell fully extended back did give you was a rounded top to it and hence a believable horizon whereas shorten it too much and on a steep slope and it may look contrived. I do see your point about access though as it was a pain reaching under

Afternoon Jeff,

The good thing is that if you start with the smaller version, and it doesn't look right, you can always extend by covering the join with one of your famous walls or snow retaining fencing!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I rather agree with Jason about a believable horizon. Most hills are rounded over the top even the escarpments usually show a bit of hill above. You could have a backscene across the back of the fell to show that it does carry on.

These are of your territory

Taken looking across Hawes

post-8525-0-40478500-1447262746_thumb.jpg

and a possible backscene

post-8525-0-16320500-1447262761_thumb.jpg

the lady may need to be photoshopped out.

Don

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

It was easy to create a fair-sized flat area on top of the old Fell using the wooden frames I used in its construction. Not much wood this time, but once I start building the new Fell I'll come up with something.

I want the new Fell to be as good (or better) as the old one. No compromises in the primary part of the layout!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice photos, Don.

Let me say this. The Fell is one of the things that characterises this layout. I'm not going to spend time building a 12 foot long fell if it doesn't look reasonable - and I'll be using feedback from here to help me judge if it's ok.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, back from my hols yesterday and catching up, its good to see something running, I'm sure the Fell will be fine, but it needs to finish above your eye level to be believable, maybe with just a foot of plain blue Sky only above that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, back from my hols yesterday and catching up, its good to see something running, I'm sure the Fell will be fine, but it needs to finish above your eye level to be believable, maybe with just a foot of plain blue Sky only above that.

Yes Andy, I agree.

The base of the Fell - at fiddle yard board level - is just over 4 feet above ground. The Fell rises around 50cm (1'8") above this. So the top is not much below 6' above ground - above MY eye level!

The last pic in post # 1245, page 50, shows the garage door roller supports to the right. The top of the Fell will be just below this.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't think you need to carry Lunefell right to the backscene. What you need to do is make it tall enough so you can't see over it (shouldn't be difficult). Then just make sure that the top is rounded and that there is a bit that drops away towards the backscene. This will fool the eyes to seeing it as a complete to the backscene fell.

Andy G

• Like 5

The Fell / Hill behind the Viaduct on our Clubs Layout is about 5ft high, Big John behind is about 6' 6'' and the other little guy is standing on a plinth but its really an effective height.

post-9335-0-73008000-1447314963_thumb.jpg

And work in progress with temporary grass area.

post-9335-0-73280700-1447315178_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

No blue sky please. Jeff; whites and greys are far more fitting

You can forget about the sky backdrop for the moment - it'll be added on later. And yes, given the typical weather for the region it'll be white and GREY sky for sure!!

Jeff

P.s.. Starting to think about the "insert" behind the station near the underbridge.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark.

I'm in Barrow with my dad. Good, traditional Cumbrian weather - gale force winds and absolutely pelting down. Oh to be on the S&C or the Fells right now. Umm, not quite!

Have fun at Hellifield.

More progress on KL2 next week.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

You can forget about the sky backdrop for the moment - it'll be added on later. And yes, given the typical weather for the region it'll be white and GREY sky for sure!!

Jeff

P.s.. Starting to think about the "insert" behind the station near the underbridge.

Are you really, really sure

post-14049-0-75792200-1447355180.jpg

The location is on the lamp.

The layout's looking good, Jeff.   :yes:   I'll really, really have to find more time to keep up.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly.

I take your point and there are occasions when the weather is lovely. Having lived a large portion of my life in Cumbria I'd agree it's sometimes blue skies. But it's also the case - as Jason pointed out - that the typical skyscape is more likely white and grey.

Either way, I think clear blue won't be my choice.

Nice to see you back on the thread, Polly.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly.

I take your point and there are occasions when the weather is lovely. Having lived a large portion of my life in Cumbria I'd agree it's sometimes blue skies. But it's also the case - as Jason pointed out - that the typical skyscape is more likely white and grey.

Either way, I think clear blue won't be my choice.

Nice to see you back on the thread, Polly.

Jeff

Hmm.  We got soaked waiting for the Wednesday steam tour to come back through! Just that some of us prefer the sunnier days.  Having said that, of a couple of my other favourite layouts, one has rain pouring down over the mountains, and it's just finished raining on the other!  Both in Wales, of course!

The trick on KL2 will be to echo the grey pattern in the sky on the hills.  It's amazing the different shades of colour you get on the ground as the sky changes through the day / hour by hour.  Plenty to choose from.  I'm sure you'll have fun getting the look and feel of a typical day in Cumbria.  Look forward to seeing it - when you're ready, that is.  No rush.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It does depend on what you are trying to depict with the layout as well, especially if you see it as a piece of art rather than just a train set. To me, for the S&C, what is typical is white/grey clouds with possibly a hint of rain about them and blue skies just doesn't fit the scene at all.

On Bacup, there is no backscene but in my head, it is always a dull but dry day; I just can't picture it sunny even though there are, of course, sunny days in the Pennines.

When I was a young lad, a very long time ago, I spent a lot of time camping in the Dales with our local boys club or with my mate. So, we saw just about everything the weather could throw at us. The first time we went when I was 13, we arrived in sleet and heavy rain and perishing cold, and this was August.

Next day was so hot, the lads stripped off and got sun burn, so in the evening they were queueing up for calamine lotion, no aftersun cream then. The heat seems to intensify in the valleys between the hills.

So, whatever back scene you have will be right, at least for some time during most days in summer and autumn. However, Jason is probably pretty close for the "average" weather.

Building the S&C must have been sheer purgatory.

Derek

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes Derek, I can certainly agree with that.

I remember a wonderful walk on the Fells a few years back. Setting off from Kentmere, heading for High Street, the May weather alternated between full warm sun to blizzard white out in the course of half an hour - then repeated a couple of times. Great fun and a fantastic place to be.

Unless, as you said, you were building the S&C!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I was intending to return home on Monday, but KL2 work will now be delayed until the end of next week because of an extended stay in Barrow.

I've sketched out plans for the Fell, station exit and point motor control panels. Construction can commence fairly swiftly once I return...

Jeff

• Like 5

Hi Jeff,

Hope all is ok. I see you have had your first loco running bet you feel happy now.

Every time I work hellifield it pours it down, guess what it hasn't changed still always bloody raining and now it's blowing a gale up here to.

Mark

Mark, we had 75mm of rain here last night, with winds of 30+ kts.  (yes, 3" of rain...that's what you get when you live in a rain forest)

Jeff- on a bit more serious of a note, the colour changing LED lights (RGB) might be able to be used to give a very moody lighting.  There are a couple of blue hue's which I think would work really well, as well as greens for when you don't want it to feel like rain.

James

• Like 1