Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Update: The link from goods yard to fiddle yard is made - at least on the down (anticlockwise) line:

post-13778-0-55937800-1446735229_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-95622200-1446735233_thumb.jpg

I'll give this time to set before fitting the up line.

The track will then have a fair number of plastic sleepers removed - quite a few, in fact. Around 10cm to either side of the places where the track will be cut. The plastic sleepers will be replaced with soldered on PCB ones and - Jason's suggestion - a number of these drilled and pinned onto the board. The PCB ones will also be glued down. Hopefully that should fix things in place allowing the track to be cut and the lift-up becomes removable again.

Then I'll fix the droppers.....

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

My order for 4mm terminals was delivered today - by the postman - at 6pm!!!!!

Here's a pic showing typical 4mm terminals - mounted on a spare bit of ply. Doddle to fit - simply screw the thread end into a 3mm drilled hole, tighten - and they'll never move. Good, tight fit for the 4mm leads - it helps as they'll be hanging down.

post-13778-0-95611400-1446758640_thumb.jpg

Another trivial matter, but I know some of you enjoy the minutiae! Wonder what Albert would make of it, Peter? ("All inertial frames of reference are equivalent - it makes no difference what colour of 4mm terminal you use....."). Sorry, just being silly.

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget to gap the sleepers Jeff, both sides if double sided!

Andy G

Thanks Andy. 

Already on my "to do" list. The copperclad is only single sided, but it only takes one missed sleeper to cause havoc!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've spent 90 minutes this morning fitting the track to the up (clockwise) line, so the link: goods yard-fiddle yard on that line is now complete.

Allowing today for the PVA to set, the other jobs on the section can start tomorrow.

I do have both Bus cables in place now, so I may start connecting some fiddle yard sections later today. Then it gets exciting - which loco should I run first (even if it is only a few feet!) I think I'll go with the promise I made to John and Jock a couple of weeks ago and run a Jubilee (likely, "Alberta"). It was a class 09 shunter on KL....

Will post more pics when there's something worth showing!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 8

Jeff,

Looks like the local press have picked up on this story.

"The Westmorland Times"

Trains to return to Kirkby Luneside

By our travel correspondent

We understand that trains will soon be calling at Kirkby Luneside again, after closure of the old railway line. Engineers have been seen busily relaying the tracks, using a special type of glue to ensure that the lines won't be lifted again.

The first test trains are to be operated by steam locomotive 45562 Albert - one of the Jubilee class that were all named after associations with Queen Victoria, in this case her husband. This particular engine was shedded at Leeds for most of its life, being designed by Stainer. Stainer is, of course, also well known as the composer of the "Crucifixion" and the local band hope to play excerpts from this when the station fully opens in the New Year.

Local trainspotter Enoch, tells us that these Jubilee engines were either painted red or green. There was also a black version that was also regularly used over the line pulling goods trains. This was known as a Black Five as it had five axles underneath the engine.

Mum-of-one, Tracey, says she's looking forward to seeing the trains again, but hopes they won't run on a Mondays as that's when she puts the washing out.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think you've got too much time on your hands, Peter - to let your imagination run riot! Have you tried writing a book? Maybe "Recollections of an old LMS line" or "Into the 4th dimension with Albert". Or maybe "Postdoctoral research on the removal of railway soot from children's nappies"?

No headboard I'm afraid. You'll have to imagine there is one!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Still job hunting after being made redundant.

Not much of a need for local history librarians nowadays..................

Commiserations, Peter.

My brother and I often wonder how my hometown - Barrow-in-Furness - a typical medium-sized place with 65,000 population - used to (50s to 80s) be able to run several libraries (the main library was excellent), 5 hospitals and countless public services, when we were supposed to be "poor". nowadays there's nothing and I bet 90% of the librarians are in your position.

If this topic needs further discussion let's please continue it in the Asylum. But Peter, at least your redundancy frees your time to delight us with your wit!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Have the best of both worlds Jeff - typical S&C = Jubilee piloted by a Class 5! Magic.

Not a bad idea, Mike - if I can remember how to use the DCC system for double-heading! If not, it'll be a Jubilee.....

Update: Aside from a couple of headshunts and the link to the cattle dock, the track is now completely down. The 2 Bus wires are in place and I've started attaching the droppers which will link the existing droppers onto the Bus. I think I'll just do under the fiddle yard (where I've begun) tomorrow, so I can connect up, clean the fiddle yard main line and see if my locos still run!!

Will post some terrifically exciting wire and track pics tomorrow!! Don't miss them - they'll set your heart racing - OH YEH!!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Lay the ballast first and it makes painting the track and sleepers far more difficult and invariably scruffier. Plus, soldering droppers on and the like is made harder than it needs to be.

No Jason, much easier to lay the ballast when laying the track, but paint the sleepers before you start. Paint the rails when all is running. Yes it is a bit of a pain, but can be done surprisingly quickly. Anyway, that's how I did Kirkby Malham and Canal Road before.

Derek

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have to say that I've always done it Jason's way. Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

I lay the track, with all non-turnout track glued in place. Droppers in at the same time. When the geometry is set and I'm happy with alignments - which I'm sometimes not (I pulled 2 sections of track up today and replaced them) then I clean the tops, connect to the Bus and do some run-in testing.

I really don't want to be finding faults with the electrics after spending ages ballasting the track and then have to rip up sections then - which would also be a lot messier. Once the track running has been checked I spray the track in grime and then do the ballasting. I changed my ballasting method for KL using the "Captain Kernow method" - very tedious, but works well (see KL p.299 onwards) - with PVA painted in between sleeps and ballast then added (rather than the dropper method, which IS a lot quicker).

So there you have it. Do what you feel works best for you!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update:  I've done some work on the lift-out section today. Plastic sleepers to either side of the lift-out join were removed and replaced with PCB ones.

The pics show what I've done. Further PCB will be added once today's batch have set, and the PCB will be gapped. The sleepers nearest the joins will also be drilled and pinned.

post-13778-0-16697200-1446918266_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-14466600-1446918273_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-64064100-1446918277_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-83652300-1446918281_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 12

Have to say that I've always done it Jason's way. Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

I lay the track, with all non-turnout track glued in place. Droppers in at the same time. When the geometry is set and I'm happy with alignments - which I'm sometimes not (I pulled 2 sections of track up today and replaced them) then I clean the tops, connect to the Bus and do some run-in testing.

I really don't want to be finding faults with the electrics after spending ages ballasting the track and then have to rip up sections then - which would also be a lot messier. Once the track running has been checked I spray the track in grime and then do the ballasting. I changed my ballasting method for KL using the "Captain Kernow method" - very tedious, but works well (see KL p.299 onwards) - with PVA painted in between sleeps and ballast then added (rather than the dropper method, which IS a lot quicker

So there you have it. Do what you feel works best for you!

Jeff

You are quite correct, Jeff. Build the layout the way which is most comfortable. As the saying goes, there is more than one way of skinning a cat. But what the poor moggy has done to deserve it, heaven knows

Derek