Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

I think your overhead crane should be able to carry you Jeff, in a pose akin to that adopted by hang gliders, so you can carry out all your high level 'fell' work, stone wall building, sheep planting and so forth! Ha, ha, ha!

......in your mankini of course!

• RMweb Premium

......in your mankini of course!

Well, I've always been a fan of the philosophy of "letting it all hang out"....

.... in John's suggested hang-gliding pose, and Mike's suggested mankini (borrowed from Mike, of course!) the consequences would be mind-boggling (good job the Bunker door is usually shut!!)

Anyway, a couple more turnouts and some SMP fitted so far today. Maybe I'll get the yard fitted tonight? If so, tomorrow's job will be to tidy up the under-board wiring.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I didn't quite get the fiddle yard finished as I had a slight change of plan and ripped a couple of pieces of track up! Anyway, here's an "arty" shot, right down the "throat" of the yard:

post-13778-0-39117700-1445117206_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Nice bit of track-laying there, Jeff. I couldn't even get the straight bits on the mainline straight let alone the yard!

I never get it exactly right, but I'm a stickler for getting it as close to straight as I can. Drives me crazy at times!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, I still haven't finished the fiddle yard, but getting very close! I've also tidied up about half of the under-board wiring, so I'm pleased about that.

Here's a couple of pics - the first is followed by a copy showing the remaining track sections that will be fitted:

post-13778-0-25707600-1445194781_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-97062300-1445194785_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-88629600-1445194790_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9

Great work Jeff, I just wish I had a fraction of the time you are able to devote to this as I would be finished by now :no: .

I know how you feel about going crazy on getting it just right though as you seem to achieve so little in the time spent on it, great when it looks right though.

Keep up the good work and I'll try and keep up. I could say slow down a bit but I think others are expecting grazing sheep behind stone walls by Christmas :mosking:

Jim

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Slightly unclear how your cassettes fit in with all this Jeff.

Hi Peter.

I now have enough storage capacity in the yard that, should I so decide, I'd happily dispense with the cassette idea. However, as the diagram below shows, it'll be a relatively easy task to link a cassette to the Up (clockwise) line via the fiddle yard. There is space available for this, to the left of the lift-up. The Down side is more problematical due to the lack of comparable space (see lower diagram)...

post-13778-0-74033300-1445201458_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-11351400-1445201469_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

Hi Peter.

I now have enough storage capacity in the yard that, should I so decide, I'd happily dispense with the cassette idea. However, as the diagram below shows, it'll be a relatively easy task to link a cassette to the Up (clockwise) line via the fiddle yard. There is space available for this, to the left of the lift-up. The Down side is more problematical due to the lack of comparable space (see lower diagram)...

attachicon.gifIMG_1500paintCassette.jpg

attachicon.gifCassette diagram.jpg

Jeff

Jeff

Could you not place a cassette on the baseboard of the downside by stopping the track short by the length of the cassette - you could then have one which you just use as a siding and then replace it by one with a train on when you want to send it onto the Down line?

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Could you not place a cassette on the baseboard of the downside by stopping the track short by the length of the cassette - you could then have one which you just use as a siding and then replace it by one with a train on when you want to send it onto the Down line?

Yes, that's one way of doing it, though I like my permanently-laid "kick back" siding. However, if need be, your suggestion would definitely work!

Thanks for the clarification Jeff.

You're welcome, Peter. I certainly get to use Paint often enough when I'm answering your posts!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Never used cassettes myself Jeff, hence my interest as they appear to have a lot of merits.

I have to admit that I've never used them, either. However, I visited the Peterborough North layout last year (with Jason). Gilbert makes big use of the cassette idea - though he does have a conventional fiddle yard as well - and the idea seemed simple and effective.

Worth a try as a cassette will cost a pittance to make!

Jeff

Very impressive so far Jeff, and I can see merit in the cassette idea but I think it would be easier to design the docking method from the outset? If I ever get fit enough to start on boards, I think the cassette system could be the solution to my space problem.

Enjoying this very much now my friend!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great work Jeff, I just wish I had a fraction of the time you are able to devote to this as I would be finished by now :no: .

I know how you feel about going crazy on getting it just right though as you seem to achieve so little in the time spent on it, great when it looks right though.

Keep up the good work and I'll try and keep up. I could say slow down a bit but I think others are expecting grazing sheep behind stone walls by Christmas :mosking:

Jim

Cheers Jim.

I think I can honestly say there'll be no sheep before Christmas 2015. However, at the end of August I wouldn't have expected to be where I am today: the same achieved in 2 months that took 7 months for KL.

I've also changed the order of scenics (as against my plan of a few months ago) once the track is all down. I will now build the Fell area - in outline - as I want to get the "messy" bit, using insulation board and requiring bigger things moving around - before I worry about the station etc. So you MAY see some kind of hillside by the end of this year!!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Update: Only 2 pieces of track left to lay in the fiddle yard. But I've managed to tidy up all the underboard wiring to-date and it's a good base to move on from.

I think I may fully fit the fiddle yard-viaduct board link tomorrow and get the existing track on the viaduct linked to the new stuff.

I'm also "tempted" to fit some of the track bus in place - starting at the lift up end of the fiddle yard and taking it round under the viaduct. Oh dear, the consequences could be a loco running in the next week or two. Playtime! Do I dare?!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Very impressive so far Jeff, and I can see merit in the cassette idea but I think it would be easier to design the docking method from the outset? If I ever get fit enough to start on boards, I think the cassette system could be the solution to my space problem.

Enjoying this very much now my friend!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock, sorry my friend, I've just re-read the page and noticed I'd overlooked your post!

Glad you're enjoying the thread. Stay tuned, plenty more in store!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: Plenty of time (6 hours) in the Bunker today, but nothing photogenic to show.

My knees are sore from tidying up the wiring under the fiddle yard and I've prepared the "ground" ready to link the yard to the viaduct. More track will go down tomorrow, taking me over the viaduct towards the station.

As with all these things, it's a good idea to keep an eye on resources. I've used 35 yards of track in the yard, and with only 20 yards left in stock, more will be needed! I've also used a hell of a lot of wire (for droppers), so a few more 100m reels have been ordered.

All good fun, of course.

Jeff

• Like 5

Evening Jeff,

I guess that you've highlighted one of the downsides of such strong, fixed boards - you simply can't tilt them to work on the wiring. Not a problem of course when you've spent the summer training by moving tons of hard landscaping material!

I look forward to seeing the 'tidied up' version of the wiring when you are happy with how it looks,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

For large under board wiring projects, I have used one of those trollies that mechanics used to work under cars. Oh and a cushion for your head.

John - good idea. Only problem is that I've got so much stuff in the Bunker that I wouldn't be able to maneouvre it!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just having a break from tracklaying. The viaduct is now connected to the fiddle yard and I'm now working on the station side.

No longer short of wires. Rapid Electronics - who I've used for many years - lived up to their reputation. Order placed 4pm yesterday, reels of wire delivered 1pm today.

Cup of coffee then off to do some wiring while the PVA sets.

Will try and post some pics later.

Jeff

• Like 6