Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

In years gone by I remember club layouts having a small electric motor fitted with an off centre weight on a spindle or a pretty large solenoid to give a whack an unstick locos, avoiding the giant hand of god having to descend.

Using a washing machine for the same purpose is overkill, though having seen Jeff's wonderful woodwork, real detonators would probably only shake it a little.

Seriously, great to see you getting closer Jeff.  The real Settle & Carlisle route wasn't built in a day either. 

• Like 2

Excellent job , so your going to keep in 'her=in-doors' good books by doing the washing whilst building a layout .......now thats serious multi-tasking no woman will be able to match that ......you really are a new man  :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jock.

The baseboards won't fill the entire bunker - the "washing machine area" will be a standalone to the side. But you are correct as far as height is concerned - the boards will certainly be higher than fridge height. Still haven't decided quite how high. My brain hurts - will sort it later (though 120-130cm is likely).

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Just make sure that they are not too low so that when you are working on them your back is not too 'bent' - children can always have a box to stand on.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Just make sure that they are not too low so that when you are working on them your back is not too 'bent' - children can always have a box to stand on.

Peter

I quite agree. Rummaging around under baseboards connecting wires is no fun when they're too low, either!

And it may be possible (despite my earlier doubts) to fit a removable access area, to avoid having to duck under. All in the future - we'll see.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

WOT? no flooring pics yet ?

Good to see your Tinternet has been restored, Andy.

I've got 85 of the 105 tiles in place, but progress isn't complete because of the need to move stuff around. At least there's one good thing - every time I move stuff I find reasons to bin some of it!!

Will post a couple of pics tomorrow. 

Jeff

• Like 6

Good to see your Tinternet has been restored, Andy.

I've got 85 of the 105 tiles in place, but progress isn't complete because of the need to move stuff around. At least there's one good thing - every time I move stuff I find reasons to bin some of it!!

Will post a couple of pics tomorrow. 

Jeff

We need an ABOUT TIME TOO button, hahhahahh

• RMweb Premium

Here you are, Andy. Just to show that the flooring is nearly finished.

I managed to securely stack nearly 40 boxes on top of the fridges, so that's a bit of stuff out of the way. Another 8 or so boxes are full of empty wagon boxes, so they'll be heading to the bin shortly. Maybe I'll get the baseboards started by Christmas (2015)?!

post-13778-0-04974600-1436521642_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-98077000-1436521649_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

Jeff all this movement of boxes and general household gatherings does show a true dedication to the cause..............'I want to be a' Pickford's Despatch Engineer' the model railway is just cover up ....... sorry you've been found out  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Serious bit of astronomical kit there, Jeff.

Hi Jonathan. Have a look at post #1126 on page 46 of the Asylum to see the complete "collection" - including the "new boy"!!

Good to hear from you. Hopefully I might have something railway-related to photograph in the next few months!!

Jeff

TBH Jeff, with the amount of clobber you still have in the Bunker I can see the enthusiasm to make a start on the baseboards yet awhile, maybe Jason was right :O at least until we have RAIN and CLOUD every night. :sungum:

:stinker:  :stinker: :stinker:  

Isn't that telescope going to need a hole in the roof?  :jester:

Yes Neil, the Bunker is being re built over the winter to eventually look something like this maybe :O

post-9335-0-25419800-1436597299_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-41142600-1436597315.jpg

:no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

:triniti:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Isn't that telescope going to need a hole in the roof?  :jester:

Maybe I should remove part of the roof and add in a rotatable dome. Then the big telescope can be permanently fitted in place and polar aligned.

I wouldn't have to worry about the layout as there'd be no space for one! And there's no heating in the Bunker, so it'd not have a problem with hot air rising around the telescope and spoiling the view.....

Jeff

• Like 8

Maybe I should remove part of the roof and add in a rotatable dome. Then the big telescope can be permanently fitted in place and polar aligned.

I wouldn't have to worry about the layout as there'd be no space for one! And there's no heating in the Bunker, so it'd not have a problem with hot air rising around the telescope and spoiling the view.....

Jeff

Isn't that what lofts are for..........?

• RMweb Premium

Isn't that what lofts are for..........?

Lofts may be ok for layouts but they are the worst possible place for a telescope. The heating effect of the house below produces horrid atmospherics around the telescope and it looks like you are looking through a highly distorted sea of air.

An observatory is a cold place with everything - building, telescope and surroundings, ideally, at the same temperature.

Jeff

• Like 1

Lofts may be ok for layouts but they are the worst possible place for a telescope. The heating effect of the house below produces horrid atmospherics around the telescope and it looks like you are looking through a highly distorted sea of air.

An observatory is a cold place with everything - building, telescope and surroundings, ideally, at the same temperature.

Jeff

I sort of knew that, but have been reading too many threads about a loft conversions for layouts recently!