Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Many thanks Jason, a mine of useful information as always. I really do appreciate your input and think I'll play with a mock up before committing to a final design!

Thanks again, and kind regards,

Jock.

Jock I tried to very slightly curve the 9mm Play but it doesn't like it much.

post-9335-0-27694900-1429820189_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Andy,

Thanks for the tip - I think I'll try to pick up a reasonable size off-cut of 6mm ply to do a test piece, making sure there is plenty of support. As it's for the hill on a coaling stage, speed and smoothness aren't an issue as it will be mainly used by static display 16T Minerals in various states of unloading. I might try to get a kit to bash into something like a G&SWR 5 plank, some of which were still used for coal! Thank you all, particularly Jason, for any comments - they all help!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

9mm ply will have some flexibility but probably not enough for what you are wanting. Something to consider if you are wanting to create an S shape in a short distance is that using any single piece of wood may lead to the forces trying to straighten itself out. You may be better off using three layers of 3mm ply, applied separately. Although it will be a pain to do, you will end up with 9mm thickness ply that will be less prone to twisting.

As for joining SMP and Peco code 75, this can be done by using the Peco fishplates and nipping them up on the SMP track ends. The fiddly part is dealing with the height difference as SMP has very thin sleepers. You could try and use different thicknesses of cork underlay but chances are you will need to sand down a fair bit if it to allow for the difference.

I agree with Jason, Jock.  I used a laminate of two layers of 3-Ply for Stockrington, and have had no issue getting smooth transitions in vertical curves:

post-8688-0-91350200-1429846670_thumb.jpg

For joining Peco Code 75 to C+L bullhead, I use N-gauge track joiners, and they work fine.  Not sure if this soloution is valid for SMP, tho'.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 3

Many thanks Scott,

I'm definitely going to have to experiment but the lamination begins to look like a good way to solve it, if I use three layers as Jason suggested, I will end up with a strong and rigid shape. I'm considering whether to form the vertical curves first, laminated together, and when dry, cut the horizontal 'S' curve with a jig-saw. Should prevent warping in either plane. Many thanks again.

Looks like another thread I'm going to have to catch up on!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, it appears that this thread has served some kind of purpose even though I'm not the one who is doing anything. All useful information to Jock/somebody, so fair enough.

I'm still toiling away at the latter stages of the current garden work. will post some pics in the Lounge.

Jeff

• Like 4

Andy,

Thanks for the tip - I think I'll try to pick up a reasonable size off-cut of 6mm ply to do a test piece, making sure there is plenty of support. As it's for the hill on a coaling stage, speed and smoothness aren't an issue as it will be mainly used by static display 16T Minerals in various states of unloading. I might try to get a kit to bash into something like a G&SWR 5 plank, some of which were still used for coal! Thank you all, particularly Jason, for any comments - they all help!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

If you are looking to bend ply you can get 'bendy ply' from DIY stores in small sheets, it will only bend in one way either top to bottom or side to side not both so try before you buy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I'll be buying several boxes of carpet tiles on Saturday and hope to have these fixed down by the end of the weekend.

I'll be annoyed if that doesn't happen.

Once down, rearrangement can take place, creating working space for a bit of "woodwork"....

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

With it being a long weekend, do you mean to finish Sunday or Monday? :jester:  :jester:

Ah, but Duncan, you forget. I'm retired. So it could be a LONG weekend.....

.... I'll be finishing on the following Thursday.....  :jester:

[At least it'll keep me out of the way until all the blasted politicians have had their say for a while!!]

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

All the best with carpeting mate, I hoe it all goes ok.

Ironic, Andy. That's what I've been doing for the last couple of days in order to prepare the soil-bed for the lawn turves.

Re. the carpet tiles - I may get a bit high on adhesive fumes. I hope I can find the floor in amongst the bunker crap!!

Jeff

• Like 5

Ironic, Andy. That's what I've been doing for the last couple of days in order to prepare the soil-bed for the lawn turves.

Re. the carpet tiles - I may get a bit high on adhesive fumes. I hope I can find the floor in amongst the bunker crap!!

Jeff

Naughty, naughty Mister Grainger! Adhesive fumes indeed! :nono: :nono: :nono: What are you and Allan Downes up to? (He recommends spilling a bottle of solvent as a means of experiencing life on another planet). Still if you do find yourself getting a little confused as to the direction/location/existence of the floor, just follow the White Rabbit. He always heads downwards! (Que Jefferson Airplane 8) ).

Regards

Bill (Probably!)

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Naughty, naughty Mister Grainger! Adhesive fumes indeed! :nono: :nono: :nono: What are you and Allan Downes up to? (He recommends spilling a bottle of solvent as a means of experiencing life on another planet). Still if you do find yourself getting a little confused as to the direction/location/existence of the floor, just follow the White Rabbit. He always heads downwards! (Que Jefferson Airplane 8) ).

Regards

Bill (Probably!)

I've always liked Grace Slick...

I'm afraid solvent abuse is one of the side effects of the hobby, Bill! Especially in a poorly ventilated bunker. I've not heard that comment from Allan Downes before, but it made me chuckle. But if I want to experience the atmosphere of Jupiter or Uranus I just eat a good curry!

Anyway, getting back into the bunker to fit the floor tiles should re-kindle a bit of enthusiasm. No literal kindling, as I don't wish to ignite the solvent fumes!

Regards to those of you probably living in Mordor!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Re the flexibility of ply this is built from 6mm ply and 20mm square wood apart from the curved back which is two layers of 4mm ply  with strips of the wood between

post-8525-0-99036200-1428655040_thumb.jpg

If you want to bend thicker stuff best to use a steamer or it will crack.

Don
  • Like 3

I've always liked Grace Slick...

I'm afraid solvent abuse is one of the side effects of the hobby, Bill! Especially in a poorly ventilated bunker. I've not heard that comment from Allan Downes before, but it made me chuckle. But if I want to experience the atmosphere of Jupiter or Uranus I just eat a good curry!

Anyway, getting back into the bunker to fit the floor tiles should re-kindle a bit of enthusiasm. No literal kindling, as I don't wish to ignite the solvent fumes!

Regards to those of you probably living in Mordor!!

Jeff

I can agree with that completely Jeff! It probably explains why I'm building all my wagon kits at one go (87 not including coaches) to clear the backlog and enjoying every minute of it! :lol: Mind you I have just painted 5 GWR Mink A's pink! (For my granddaughter Lucy's Thomas layout)!

Allan's thread (together with Iain Robinson) 'Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better Robinson' is always worth a visit for it's amazing blend of superb modelling and sheer lunacy. Both thoroughly nice guy's always willing to explain their techniques and help out, including some you'd never dream of.! Allan's also a pretty fearsome guitarist (Shadow's, etc) so probably of interest to Andrew too!

Good luck with the carpet fitting and looking forward to Jeff entering 'L-space' in the next stage.

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I HAVE bought the carpet tiles and adhesive to fix them down. They are in the Bunker and something will happen when I get over my current aches and pains!

Honest.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With pickies I hope. :O

Set up the Tripod and timer and bend down LOOKING like your working at least, hhahhahheee. :nono:

When I read that the first time I thought it said pickLes!

I was thinking, "what the hell have pickled onions to do with the Bunker?"

Silly me!

NO contrived pics from me, Andy. All honest, sweat-and-tears hard work....  :sungum:  :sungum:

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

When I read that the first time I thought it said pickLes!

I'm glad you pointed it out Jeff. I had also read it as pickles... but I gave up trying to work out Andy's joke before realising that I'd misread it... so I'd moved on with it as pickles in my mind until you said otherwise.

:fool:

Sounds like I'm the Fittest Lunester on the Planet, with Jeff, Mike and Jock all of a Crock, the rest of us Lunesters had better watch out, (well actually my shoulder and neck are a lot better now thanks to the Physio).

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like I'm the Fittest Lunester on the Planet, with Jeff, Mike and Jock all of a Crock, the rest of us Lunesters had better watch out, (well actually my shoulder and neck are a lot better now thanks to the Physio).

Fittest or not, Andy, you're certainly the quickest at building stuff. I've just logged in but I bet that new thread of yours is onto page 5 or 6!

Thanks for the message, Jock. And I don't feel even the tiniest bit guilty about doing nothing in the Bunker or garden. Very strange.

Neil - I'll be posting plenty of PICKLES when I get chance!!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

KL2 update:

Apologies, still not feeling at my best, so nothing has been achieved since my last comments! (And, if you've been in the Asylum, you'll know I've been having rabbit problems in the garden).

Keep checking in. One day you're sure to get a surprise!

Jeff

• Like 2