Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Jeff, was that last post a LITTLE  :offtopic:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand:

:rtfm:  

Maybe, but at least it was DOWN to your usual standards!!!  :jester:  :jester:

HeeeeHeeee, as you might say.

Update: My next batch of aggregates and patio slabs won't arrive until early next week. So it looks like I'll be painting the bunker ceiling - first coat - tomorrow. Joy of joys...

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

So it looks like I'll be painting the bunker ceiling - first coat - tomorrow.

A year or so ago my then six year old niece looked at my hair and asked: "Have you been painting a ceiling white Uncle Neil?" It's a good excuse for a while :)

• Like 2

If you are going to paint it all white better have the shades ready :sungum: :sungum:  We don't want you going snow blind in the bunker.

Don

Morning Don, Mines all white, but then that's all white for me as I like it white, all white mate. :no:

:sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Morning Don, Mines all white, but then that's all white for me as I like it white, all white mate. :no:

:sungum:

The humour gets worse and worse. But I love it, really.

So I thought I'd white in and put some matters on record: The ceiling will be white and the walls will be magnolia.

Sorry it took me qwhite a while to respond - a few minor jobs have taken up the morning.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pleased to report that I managed a couple of hours painting the ceiling today. Tedious, and the first coat of emulsion just disappeared into the ply. But it'll seal the surface for subsequent coats and I managed a quarter of the total area.

Strange thing, though. My mind seems to have shifted back indoors (now I've made a start), so I'll be in there tomorrow morning, hopefully making progress. And splattering myself again!

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Are you using a roller with a pole or a brush? 

I've never liked rollers, though there are a couple knocking around from previous paint jobs by my brother. I always use a brush. Slower, maybe, but I feel it gives me more control.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I too lIke brushes but for large areas a roller or large paint pads are better.  For ceilings and your walls a roller on the end of a pole is by far the best - easy to use, further away from the paint and less splashed on one.  The bonus - no need to climb ladders and much better on your neck with much less twisting.  For the corners a small paint pad or a bit of skill with a 1" paint brush sorts out the edges.

Keep up the good work, cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Peter, Mike, thanks for the advice.

I've done 6 hours of painting today. 80% of the ceiling has had one coat of white, 25% has had two. About half the walls have had their first coat of magnolia.

The bad news is that 3 coats will be needed for both. I want this out of the way by next Wednesday (paving delivery date), so the motivation is there to push on.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Working in a confined space painting all the time can affect you. Too much fumes is not good so do allow yourself some fresh air breaks and make sure you have ventilation while doing it..

Don

• RMweb Premium

I remember an Isaac Asimov short-story, written in the late 40s/early 50s, concerning the origin of jokes. 

Looking at some of the posts on here I have now discovered they are a Lunester invention.

Cheers Don. No problems with the fumes - side door open and I did a couple of hours garden work interspersed with the painting.

Jason - I could forgive you thinking I'd locked myself in, given my not replying to your phone calls. I tend to keep the mobile out of the way, given the current chaotic clutter in the bunker!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ceiling of the bunker complete - and it only had 2 coats of white.

Walls half done.

Another 5 hours and I've had enough.

And not a roller in sight!

Jeff

And with those aches from hard brushing just remember this night in particular you will need the sleep ...  and thus when Mike's early morning call comes ... is it really that late or has something been forgotten?

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And with those aches from hard brushing just remember this night in particular you will need the sleep ...  and thus when Mike's early morning call comes ... is it really that late or has something been forgotten?

Cheers, Peter

Suffice it to say that, despite the clocks going forward tonight, I'll be painting in the bunker at 7am tomorrow.

My problem is that once I get the bit between my teeth I can't stop myself.

Looking forward to some more brickwork next week, though!

Jeff

• Like 2