Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Wish I could PLAY TRAINS tonight, :O  :O :o  :O  

I'm sure you can, Andy, or are you in Dee's bad books?

Has she cut the plug off your controller for being a bad boy?

As you would say.... heeeehahahaaaaaheeeheeee!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Improved?  :scratchhead:

That's a bold statement, especially having seen the work that went into the KL Fells.

I hope that I can do better. A lighter construction, but the same general look. More detailed stone walls etc - we'll see.

I dug these out - 2 of my favourite Fell pics - taken shortly before KL's demise!

post-13778-0-80570300-1424897707_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-10920000-1424897936_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 7

I'm sure you can, Andy, or are you in Dee's bad books?

Has she cut the plug off your controller for being a bad boy?

As you would say.... heeeehahahaaaaaheeeheeee!

Jeff

Hahahahhheeeee Been out there this evening Chipping a 47 and 50 and playing around with the Storage Yard ideas.

AND BILL IS RIGHT get some walls built, NOW :O

post-9335-0-97379200-1424902554_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There's something for you to do between woodworking. garden landscaping and kit-building Jeff. You could make a start on producing the thousands of stones needed for that drystone walling in your spare time!!! :O :o :O :o

Regards

Bill :tomato:

I'll need to make a new jig to produce the stones as I'm refining the process for more lengths and widths. Nowhere safe to store things at the mo, but you're right - it's going to be quite a job!

Andy - I'm assuming that photo of yours was taken on KL's very last day? As for the walling - I can't build any walls until the Fell is in place as the walls are built on-the-spot, according to the variable terrain. The masochist in me is looking forward to building a few metres of the stuff!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Ahhhhh, the beauty that was Lunefell. With the excellent lighting giving such light and shade. I expect a replication of the lighting Jeff, as it is what makes it so special.........

Andy G

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Andy - very sad to see the old Fell go. AndyG - I like the name "Lunefell" - if you don't mind, I'll adopt that for KL2!

Update on today....

I got SOME of my targets done. All the insulation is fitted but the frames are needing the next ply top. That should have been achieved hours ago. Unfortunately, being a plonker - and reminiscent of August 2011 - I managed to smash a hammer onto one of my fingers. My left little finger. Looks a bit black at the moment, but the bleeding has stopped.

Oh well, time for some serious baseboard frame planning over the next few days. And NO, no wagon kit work. I don't want to add any scalpel cuts to what I've just done.

You think I'd learn!!

OUCH OUCH OUCH Mate, I dropped a boulder on my ring finger / left hand last September and the nail is almost off now. It bled like a Pig for a couple of hours and then after a couple of days it let out an enormous amount of Green / Black Puss, YUK YUK YUK and OUCH again Mate.

Ouch indeed.

You're obviously not following the instructions. When you nod your head, hit it. Not the finger :jester:

Honestly though, you have my sympathy. That is the sort of thing I regularly do while working, I just don't tend to hit my hand that hard

• Like 2

Ouch indeed.

You're obviously not following the instructions. When you nod your head, hit it. Not the finger :jester:

Honestly though, you have my sympathy. That is the sort of thing I regularly do while working, I just don't tend to hit my hand that hard

Duncan has it right, you have a sixth sense to draw back the instant you miss the target so as not to hit the finger/thumb with full force, it does take skill though! I was not quite so adept once when I put a nail through my index finger with a nail gun, the lad who worked for me at the time and was holding things together as it happened who looked the type of bloke you would give a wide berth, well as I pulled my finger right up through the nail simply saying 'oops' (honest truth) the poor lad nearly threw up, I banged a plaster on it and carried on. S*it happens!

So no excuses Jeff, back out there tomorrow matey!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

OUCH OUCH OUCH Mate, I dropped a boulder on my ring finger / left hand last September and the nail is almost off now. It bled like a Pig for a couple of hours and then after a couple of days it let out an enormous amount of Green / Black Puss, YUK YUK YUK and OUCH again Mate.

As the saying goes - I remember it well! Peter

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

DIY can be very dangerous. Take care.

However those shots of the fells reminds us all of the promise KL1 was showing I think it would have been a great layout. Just hope you can repeat it for KL2.

Don

Sympathy Jeff, we've all done it at one time or another and can almost feel your pain from memory - hope you still got some sleep and that no lasting damage was done. If you do it again, you might consider a 'nail guard', a little device that holds the nail in place with your fingers safely out of danger - available at good ironmongery, or you could make one!

Take care,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

What I want to know is why you were holding the nail with your little finger? Bored so trying something different? :D

Good point. No, I wasn't holding it with my little finger - but it was a piece of wood in a tight corner where my left hand was pinned against the wall.

Needless to say, one of my hammer strikes missed and clobbered said hand against the block background....

Anyway, with finger wrapped up, I've just managed to cut the last major sheets of ply needed for the flooring. Cup of coffee and I'll be back out screwing. As Mike said, "no excuses, back out there matey"!!

There'll be a pic later.

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Picture(s), as promised. The narrow board in the photos is simply sat in place and needs fixing down. A very narrow strip (about 8cm wide) needs fitting against the wall.

Getting there!

post-13778-0-04397500-1425052445_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-41645600-1425052451_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

So, was it you who bought those fifteen 16 ton mineral Parkside kits from the classifieds yesterday? I thought about it but they were all riveted body ones which were much rarer than the welded ones

Good point. No, I wasn't holding it with my little finger - but it was a piece of wood in a tight corner where my left hand was pinned against the wall.

Needless to say, one of my hammer strikes missed and clobbered said hand against the block background....

Anyway, with finger wrapped up, I've just managed to cut the last major sheets of ply needed for the flooring. Cup of coffee and I'll be back out screwing. As Mike said, "no excuses, back out there matey"!!

There'll be a pic later.

Jeff

How many times have you said to yourself, be careful or I will hit my finger only to go and actually do it with the next hammer blow  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

So, was it you who bought those fifteen 16 ton mineral Parkside kits from the classifieds yesterday? I thought about it but they were all riveted body ones which were much rarer than the welded ones

No, it wasn't me. Bodge thought it might be you!

I've got 6 kits to get on with. Probably start on them next week while the bunker work takes a break and my finger recovers.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

How many times have you said to yourself, be careful or I will hit my finger only to go and actually do it with the next hammer blow  :scratchhead:

Stupid thing was that about 30 minutes before I smashed my finger, I'd trapped my middle fingers under a piece of wood following a hammer blow. It hurt. So I went and "improved" on the pain!

Part of the risk we take, isn't it? With all the building work I've done I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier.

Jeff

• Like 1

I'm really enjoying all that beautiful natural wood grain ply veneer before it all gets obliterated behind camelia  magnolia emulsion. :O

A great alternative finsh to ply lining is 'liming'. I do it by applying a thin wash of white emulsion, then, to provide protection against rubbing and marking, a thin coat of matt clear acrylic that is capable of being washed down occasionally over the years.

It delivers light reflecting walls but still with all that beautiful wood graining just perceptable - very subtle.  :)

dh

• Like 7