Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

We have spent a lovely day at the GWSR - Gloucester Warwickshire Steam railway, running from Broadway to Cheltenham.

The staff / members / volunteers* are all so cheery - it’s a lovely railway, if you have not been you should go. 

I still need to finish sorting out my photos from the WSR & Talyllyn, then I will update the holiday / preserved railway gallery.

In the meantime, I found the refreshment trolley! It’s not the same as the one in the Facebook post from the 1930’s, but an unusual piece of kit nonetheless.

It was baking hot inside the full brake it’s displayed in otherwise I would have measured it up!

IMG_7856.jpeg.ce1186c3484c41297ec0ca67dc559ed6.jpeg

I wonder what would have been in the channel above the refreshments sign.

Incidentally, the label on the top says it was donated by David Shepherd, but says nothing about the year the trolley was built.

Todays locos were Modified Hall 4-6-0 Foremarke Hall no 7903 and Merchant Navy loco Peninsular & Oriental co no 35006 4-6-2 both locos were very smartly turned out and the crews made a fine job of the run.

In order to make the most of the line, we started at Broadway, next to the camp site:

• Broadway to Toddington 35006
  • Toddington to Broadway 7903
  • Broadway to Cheltenham racecourse 7903
  • Cheltenham racecourse to Toddington 7903
  • then return to Broadway behind 35006

*Almost everyone you meet is a volunteer - one train alone had 7 staff, plus footplate crew - there were possibly as many as 30 to 35 staff on duty - it’s a world away from the East Lancs Railway.

Every-time we have been, the staff have been terrific.

edit: looking at the photo again - does the trolley match the counter display unit and match the tea urn? Possibly not….

Pleased you found the catering trolley! That looks like a mid century one? Perhaps a BR one from the 50s or 60s? 

I’ve had another think and in the very back of my mind, I seem to think that there might be a GWR catering trolley in the small museum at Norchard on the Dean Forest Railway? 

Again, it’s been a while since I’ve been, so I cannot say this with 100% certainty. 

Cheers

CoY 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Wish I'd known you were there. Don't think we've ever met but I follow your tales of your Henley layout. My wife and I did the round trip Broadway to Broadway with 35006 and then filmed the 5pm departure from the caravan park dog exercise area! Photo is at Racecourse. Even had a ride on the engine running round at Broadway. A truly great day and the railway looked in good shape.20240730_150614.jpg.2148752e07135e70745b887015fbd435.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Pleased you found the catering trolley! That looks like a mid century one? Perhaps a BR one from the 50s or 60s? 

I’ve had another think and in the very back of my mind, I seem to think that there might be a GWR catering trolley in the small museum at Norchard on the Dean Forest Railway? 

Again, it’s been a while since I’ve been, so I cannot say this with 100% certainty. 

Cheers

CoY 

Thanks for this, I’m surprised they were still around so late.

The Dean Forest railway has never been on my radar - It feels a bit - out of the way!

You could say that about the Talyllyn of course, but I’ve been going there for so long, it’s almost like home.

7 hours ago, Bazza said:

Wish I'd known you were there. Don't think we've ever met but I follow your tales of your Henley layout. My wife and I did the round trip Broadway to Broadway with 35006 and then filmed the 5pm departure from the caravan park dog exercise area! Photo is at Racecourse. Even had a ride on the engine running round at Broadway. A truly great day and the railway looked in good shape.20240730_150614.jpg.2148752e07135e70745b887015fbd435.jpg

Glad you had a good day, the line is certainly looking very good.

My preference was to ride behind the Hall and the crew put on a good run with her. When I last looked at the loco roster it showed one of the Manors to be out. No idea what happened there.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Thanks for gathering us together again, Neal.

It was a lovely weekend - a meeting of minds where we could witter on about the minutiae of the GWR in all its glory.

Hope we can do it all again one day soon!

Edited by Harlequin
Soon!
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neal, we must stop not meeting at places of GWR/BRWR interest. I too was at Didcot on Saturday! That was after I had visited Pendon late morning. Interesting chat with the guys working on 18000. When I said that I remember seeing it in traffic both in black and green liveries they immediately wanted to know what it sounded like. I couldn't help with that, but my main memories were of the smell and density of the exhaust.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. Bazza

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Bazza said:

Hi Neal, we must stop not meeting at places of GWR/BRWR interest. I too was at Didcot on Saturday! That was after I had visited Pendon late morning. Interesting chat with the guys working on 18000. When I said that I remember seeing it in traffic both in black and green liveries they immediately wanted to know what it sounded like. I couldn't help with that, but my main memories were of the smell and density of the exhaust.

Sorry to have missed you again!

18000 - hopefully the work they are doing will leave the loco in very good condition for the years to come.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 4

On 04/08/2024 at 10:30, Neal Ball said:

Yesterday (Saturday 3rd August 2024) saw us arrive at the GWS depot at Didcot, where we were joined by Phil and Mike aka - @Harlequin and @The Stationmaster for a wander round the depot. Today will see us all visiting Pendon museum.

We managed to ride in two Sunshine carriages in 1st class and 3rd class - the latter behind Pendennis Castle which was in fine form.

As well as chatting to Phil and Mike, I was interested in seeing the Autocoach, as I have just bought the Dart castings upgrade kit. There have been previous comments about the Dart instructions - so I took the opportunity of taking a good many detailed photos of the carriage, including all the auto working gear at both ends and detailed photos of the steps. Hopefully they will aid in the refurbishment of my Airfix carriage.

Here the carriage is seen in the loco shed.

Autocoach190ar.jpg.7859b321b918177ee0989f5a83960e7b.jpg

This may well be my next carriage project.

I have also picked up my 6 Mainline and City carriages - it's tempting to get them all out and fit the decoders etc. But that will need to wait until we are back in Spain.

Whatever your plans for today, enjoy your Sunday.

Model Railway Journal #9 has excellent articles covering the A28 and A30 trailers and how to realise them from the Airfix model. From memory, the authors were not impressed with the Dart Castings kit…

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Montreux_1991 said:

Model Railway Journal #9 has excellent articles covering the A28 and A30 trailers and how to realise them from the Airfix model. From memory, the authors were not impressed with the Dart Castings kit…

Thanks for this. The comments I have seen usually relate to the instructions - hence why I wanted to take loads of photos when we were at Didcot recently.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 04/08/2024 at 23:12, Bazza said:

Which is why it was affectionately known as Kerosene Castle.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, ChrisN said:

@MrWolf has used the Dart Castings kit for a conversion on his Aston-on-Clune thread.

Thanks for reminding me Chris, I really ought to get it finished, it's sulking at the back of the bench at present, along with a 517 build. It will make a complete change when I finish building a dozen trees. 

Considering how antiquated the airfix autocoach and the conversion kit are, it's an enjoyable build that does result in a greatly improved model.*

Next project sorted. 👍

Then it's the dreaded GWR wire fencing! 

*The instructions aren't great, but there's plenty of information available, particularly from the good folks of rmweb.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, ChrisN said:

@MrWolf has used the Dart Castings kit for a conversion on his Aston-on-Clune thread.

Yes and also @MAP66 at Tyteford Halt

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks for reminding me Chris, I really ought to get it finished, it's sulking at the back of the bench at present, along with a 517 build. It will make a complete change when I finish building a dozen trees. 

Considering how antiquated the airfix autocoach and the conversion kit are, it's an enjoyable build that does result in a greatly improved model.*

Next project sorted. 👍

Then it's the dreaded GWR wire fencing! 

*The instructions aren't great, but there's plenty of information available, particularly from the good folks of rmweb.

I have saved a reference page on my laptop for both builds, in order to use their knowledge of the kit.

I am hoping that, together with the myriad of photos I took at Didcot, will help when it comes to building it.

My intention is to put together a blog page covering the build, Im looking forward to doing it and my intention is to have the carriage lit as well.

At last I will be able to get rid of my poor 1980’s painting and give it a nice spray finish.

Thanks for all the comments guys, let’s see how I get on….. and good luck to Rob @MrWolf in finishing his version.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Which is why it was affectionately known as Kerosene Castle.

After it’s chequered career, it’s amazing that it’s still around.

Although I still find it a bit odd that it’s at Didcot with nothing to tell its story. It’s currently stuck on one of the turntable roads next to the class 31 diesel.

Given it’s never going to be operational, it might be better if it’s stuffed and mounted, maybe in its own exhibition space that tells the story about the progression from steam to diesel.

Re the class 31. I understand it’s on loan for a while and has been used for a few days, but I don’t really know why it’s there. Unless it’s simply a case that it’s a diesel, that is different and cheaper to run than lighting a steam loco up for a quieter operational day.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Our UK tour continues, where this weekend we have been on the outskirts of Margate. (I didn’t bother with the Hornby factory shop).

Tomorrow we move onto Brighton, which will see us at the Bluebell* Railway next Saturday. Then the following week, we will be sailing out of Plymouth and heading for home.

*New build Atlantic Beachy Head has recently been running in, ahead of its official launch. Hopefully it’s still in use when we get there.

IMG_7984.jpeg.e3097a8b8bb452f1d1260a2e570aa40e.jpeg

IMG_7983.jpeg.d0af85fba8754807bb752a985a3af1f1.jpeg

Both are views from the campsite, taken.

Whatever your plans for today (Monday 12th August) have a good day.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Miss Prism said:

Terrifying. Scared the hell out of us spotters. The noisiest thing we had ever heard.

Some things don’t change…. The guys working on it we’re using angle grinders to cut out the worst of the rust - the sound of which carried quite a way across the site.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Our UK tour continues, where this weekend we have been on the outskirts of Margate. (I didn’t bother with the Hornby factory shop).

Tomorrow we move onto Brighton, which will see us at the Bluebell* Railway next Saturday. Then the following week, we will be sailing out of Plymouth and heading for home.

*New build Atlantic Beachy Head has recently been running in, ahead of its official launch. Hopefully it’s still in use when we get there.

IMG_7984.jpeg.e3097a8b8bb452f1d1260a2e570aa40e.jpeg

IMG_7983.jpeg.d0af85fba8754807bb752a985a3af1f1.jpeg

Both are views from the campsite, taken.

Whatever your plans for today (Monday 12th August) have a good day.

You might just miss Beachy Head. Its official launch is on Friday 23/8/24 so it might be back in the shed being tidied up when you visit.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

You might just miss Beachy Head. Its official launch is on Friday 23/8/24 so it might be back in the shed being tidied up when you visit.

I think you might be right.

We are meeting a couple of active volunteers, so hopefully we will find out next week.

Thanks, Neal.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Beachy Head is rostered daily from the 23rd to at least the end of August. (Possibly a few days into September as well).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Beachy Head is rostered daily from the 23rd to at least the end of August. (Possibly a few days into September as well).

Ah! BR Standard Camelot and GWR Wightwick Hall are the rostered locos this Saturday.

Thanks anyway.

• Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Ah! BR Standard Camelot and GWR Wightwick Hall are the rostered locos this Saturday.

Thanks anyway.

Surely you're not disappointed with a Modified Hall? 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Surely you're not disappointed with a Modified Hall? 😉

Certainly not - that fills my quota of GWR locos nicely 😎

• Like 7